New divers on Oahu looking for buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hea,
doing a (small boat) dive on sat. then probably shore dive on sun. eather hunama, or blow hole...

South shore is looking good ... we're planning a trip to hanauma bay on Monday. May go to another south shore site haven't decided yet.

Dove Hanauma bay once before, we did 2 tanks (if you're going to bother taking all that gear down might as well do 2!). Military gets in free with your I.D. card and only $1 to park. They charge to use the shuttle though which is needed with all that dive gear, weights tanks, etc... they also charge extra for you to put your gear on the shuttle. Think it's less than $10 both ways, with gear.

Have you dove the blow hole before? I've been there to take pictures before when it was rough and definately looks dangerous sometimes.

I'm also military I'm in the Dive Oahu dive club but when my membership there expires I'm probably going to go with Sea Lancers .. I have my own tanks and I've heard for $5/month they'll let you fill your own tanks after training on how to operate the equipment.

I'm here another three years ... been here three already.

Edit: Looks like it's $15/month .. oh well cheaper to stick with Dive Oahu, I'm in the club mainly for the free air fills, though they do free shore dives (if u have gear, it's $1 to rent 2x AL 80's for the club shore dive) too usually every other week but seem to keep canx them because of surf on North & West shores, wish they'd do something on the South shore. Dive Oahu is the shop in the NEX, they also have a shop in Kewalo, Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps base and on Camp Smith.

South shore is looking good ... we're planning a trip to hanauma bay on Monday. May go to another south shore site haven't decided yet.

about what time? maybe we can make it work?

Dove Hanauma bay once before, we did 2 tanks (if you're going to bother taking all that gear down might as well do 2!). Military gets in free with your I.D. card and only $1 to park. They charge to use the shuttle though which is needed with all that dive gear, weights tanks, etc... they also charge extra for you to put your gear on the shuttle. Think it's less than $10 both ways, with gear.

If you get there before 0700 it's free and better parking...

Have you dove the blow hole before? I've been there to take pictures before when it was rough and definately looks dangerous sometimes.

Been there a "FEW TIMES"....it's what you make of it

I'm also military I'm in the Dive Oahu dive club but when my membership there expires I'm probably going to go with Sea Lancers .. I have my own tanks and I've heard for $5/month they'll let you fill your own tanks after training on how to operate the equipment.

Edit: Looks like it's $15/month .. oh well cheaper to stick with Dive Oahu, I'm in the club mainly for the free air fills, though they do free shore dives (if u have gear, it's $1 to rent 2x AL 80's for the club shore dive) too usually every other week but seem to keep canx them because of surf on North & West shores, wish they'd do something on the South shore. Dive Oahu is the shop in the NEX, they also have a shop in Kewalo, Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps base and on Camp Smith.[/QUOTE]

we got our own club...free air fills...no waiting to fill, always open

about what time? maybe we can make it work?

We're thinking around 3pm in the afternoon, not sure yet. One of the guys I work with needs to check with his girlfriend to see if she'll watch tanks for us on the beach while we dive. Chose afternoon only because his girlfriend works or something and would be available after 3pm.

Not sure how it'll work out yet.. I'll send a PM once I know.

If you get there before 0700 it's free and better parking...

Been there a "FEW TIMES"....it's what you make of it

Edit: Looks like it's $15/month .. oh well cheaper to stick with Dive Oahu, I'm in the club mainly for the free air fills, though they do free shore dives (if u have gear, it's $1 to rent 2x AL 80's for the club shore dive) too usually every other week but seem to keep canx them because of surf on North & West shores, wish they'd do something on the South shore. Dive Oahu is the shop in the NEX, they also have a shop in Kewalo, Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps base and on Camp Smith.

we got our own club...free air fills...no waiting to fill, always open
[/QUOTE]

I didn't know Hanauma bay was free if you got there that early. Must be nice to have your own club .. which is it or where are you guys located?

it's not a club...i do my own fills...at home. were going to hunama about 0630...not to save the dollar, better parking.

HUNAMA BAY tomm AM...who's with me????bringing the shower drinks, ETC so lest get organised

Did that one yesterday afternoon. Come hit up island divers this afternoon they have a dusk dive going on. After potluck party going on.
A new to the islands energy/increased blood flow drink that the ladies of Nuero would like to serve to our customers.

I know it has been a while since I been on. Listen to this. I went with my schools dive club and they did Hunama Bay (at night) DUDE...I could not have made a bigger mistake. There was no organization. It was a free for all. Me and my husband got lost. Because there was no dive plan, "just follow the cable". But there was so many people you couldn't keep track of anyone. The people we did run into underwater were lost too. So we couldn't find the channel back in and being new and never dived there in the day time we went right into the reef. We got pretty beaten up and I lost my weights. Thank God for my husband. We had to climb over the reef because there was no choice. Good thing I wore my gloves I did get a little reef rash. Oh yeah, and when we got back to the meeting point...they were already back at the truck. I was so mad, they didn't even care. I haven't recieved 1 e-mail from my "Dive Club" to make sure we were ok or nothing. Well I call it a lesson learned.

We dove there that Saturday and forgot that it was open for the night dive, bummed about that well next month we will. You should do that dive a few times during the day so you can learn the area better, it really is a good dive if you know how and where to go. PM us if you would like to do it in the day and we will not leave you guys behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom