New divers looking for recommendations in WPB area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noaagirl

New
Reaction score
Greetings,

My husband and I were just open water certified this past May during our vacation on St John (classroom and pool work at home, referral open water dives on St John). My husband is being temporarily relocated to WPB from DC for work, so we're looking forward to getting more opportunities to dive than we thought possible over the next 9 months.

I know from my grandfather - who dove around Boynton for years before he moved north - that most of the diving is drift diving in a quite rapid current. My husband and I are not experienced, or heck I'd say even novice divers; we've only done 4 beach dives while on vacation. We'd like to find a very conservative dive outfit that we can build up our confidence with and maybe go for our advanced open water certs. We were fortunate to have excellent instructors here in DC and while on vacation and don't want to take any chances. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

For the new, inexperience diver I would recommend Diving Solutions out of the Riviera Beach Marina (www.divingsolutions.com). They cater to the new diver. They are a bit on the conservative side and shops us them for student checkout dives, that's why many experienced divers avoid them.

Once you get some experiece under your belt and your advanced and nitrox certifications you can check out the diving in Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Charters (www.jupiterdivecharters.com) and Jupiter Dive Center (www.jupiterdivecenter.com)

noaagirl:
Greetings,

My husband and I were just open water certified this past May during our vacation on St John (classroom and pool work at home, referral open water dives on St John). My husband is being temporarily relocated to WPB from DC for work, so we're looking forward to getting more opportunities to dive than we thought possible over the next 9 months.

I know from my grandfather - who dove around Boynton for years before he moved north - that most of the diving is drift diving in a quite rapid current. My husband and I are not experienced, or heck I'd say even novice divers; we've only done 4 beach dives while on vacation. We'd like to find a very conservative dive outfit that we can build up our confidence with and maybe go for our advanced open water certs. We were fortunate to have excellent instructors here in DC and while on vacation and don't want to take any chances. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Give Pura Vida Divers a call. 1-888-Dive-WPB They'll take good care of you and they will not make you feel like a rookie. Just tell them you're new, and they'll adequately familiarize you with lazy man diving... aka drift diving.

Al

I'm not familiar with Diving Solutions, but it sounds like they are being recommended by people that know. Give them a call and just tell them that you're new and your concerns. But what I really wanted to say was not to be too scared of drift diving. It really is lazy man's diving...one of the easiest ways to enjoy the beautiful underwater world. You do have to pay attention to the briefing, and follow the plan (as you always should, really.) But I was in the same situation as you, worried the first time I did a drift dive. They are great tho! Drop down, go with the current, and slowly ascend, drift on the flag for your safety stop, and surface to a waiting boat. Congrats on getting to enjoy South Florida's beautiful waters!

contact the dive shop at WWW.FORCE-E.com they can help answer all you questing. They well hock you up with all the dive boats in West Palm.

Not sure about other charters, but Pura Vida had a DM guide us throughout the dives. Plus, they have the best SI snacks!

try a easy beach dive in lauderdale by the sea. 20' deep and you will be able to practice at your own pace. Good skill builder with people diving in the area every weekend.

Buckeye698:
try a easy beach dive in lauderdale by the sea. 20' deep and you will be able to practice at your own pace. Good skill builder with people diving in the area every weekend.

Or similarly since you're in West Palm: dive off of the breakers, right off the shore. Of course it's been kinda rough lately so if that's a bust give the blue heron bridge a try. If I have some free time I wouldn't mind joining you; my buddy is on his honeymoon and he has the truck to tow the boat so I'm getting pretty bored here not diving. heh. I'm not a divemaster- yet- working on that one... but it's up to you.

I am going to offer my personal opinion for the new guys. I am a DM (part-time) down in Boynton, and I will start off saying our op (Splashdown Divers) we always welcome new divers and have quite a few dive spots that would be quite comfortable for you to dive. That having been said it would be my reccomendation that you just look around and find a operator that answers your questions and shares information about all the great diving here. I have found that some people just try to fill the boat, while the vast majority of the people here really want their customers to have a good time. I will be happy to give you some info on the charters here in Palm Beach County as well as some in Broward if you are intrested. I think I speak for all of us south florida SB'ers we are all here to help.

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom