New divers looking at dive computers for purchase soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If safety is really your top priority, you need to buy regs and bc so that you can become proficient with the life support gear you will be using. As far as computers, there are tons of options. Just avoid AI hose mounted and the various "close out" options that are on clearance. Since you are diving as a pair, there is value in getting the same computers so that you have matched profiles and so its easy to check on each others read-outs without having to learn two systems.

I guess pretty much everybody has nitrox built in nowadays, but you may want to look into some more specific features that you may appreciate later on.

Buy two cheap computers with down load capability from your LDS. And make sure both of you read and understand how to use them properly.
Fancy and modern computer does not mean better!!!! I am still diving with the one that I first bought back in 1997.
Mare Puck is adequate but could be hard to read. The Pro is slimmer with multi-gas function and bigger display. Buy one each.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

Edit: Petrel is expensive, huge, and it will most likely be years before you need its features -- if you ever change your mind about "purely recreational" diving in the first place.
By that time the unit will be obsolete!

Thanks for the advice so far. Just to clarify- we have already ordered regulators, BCs (and FWIW, wetsuits). The computers/gauges are the only items left for us to make a decision on. We also plan to do a test session in the pool with instructor with our full kits before we leave to make sure there are no surprises in Cayman.

Caveeagle - why avoid AI hose mounted? I was thinking this could be good for me since it will have larger numbers.

John A Lewis - I was considering the Cressi's until the LDS said they don't hold up well to the ocean temperatures up north.

Are/will you be using Windows 10? Microsoft didn't include the IRDA stack in the first release so there's no way to currently download from the Luna. I have read they may be including it in the current or future maintenance release though. There are work-arounds though: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/511628-irda-driver-windows-10-a.html

If you're at all interested in the Sherwood Wisdom 3, LeisurePro currently is selling it with physical compass and quick disconnect for $600 U.S.

I'd vote Door #2 also. Zoops are easy to read, cable downloadable and use a more conservative algorithm than some others. For new un-certified divers that's not a bad thing. For the price when you decide what you really want, they can ride in a pocket as a backup. Suunto does get almost $100 for the cable but you only need one.

Assuming the $200 price is thru LeisurePro, the reason for that is they're not a Suunto dealer. So warranty service if needed would be thru them. Normally the price would be $300 but with Aqualung's purchase of Pelagic I believe Aqualung is discontinuing selling them soon. At least you can no longer buy one direct from them.

I have a pair of cobras for sale if they would be of any interest to you. Husband wife pair that upgraded last year. They are 3 or four years old.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice so far. Just to clarify- we have already ordered regulators, BCs (and FWIW, wetsuits). The computers/gauges are the only items left for us to make a decision on. We also plan to do a test session in the pool with instructor with our full kits before we leave to make sure there are no surprises in Cayman.

Caveeagle - why avoid AI hose mounted? I was thinking this could be good for me since it will have larger numbers.

My take on it, people who swim/freedive/are comfortable in the water tend to go for low-profile minimal gear. Bulky console with its tendency to fall out of the hose keeper and drag along the bottom killing coral is one of the things to get rid of. There is convenience in having all the data on your wrist (wireless AI). And if you don't go WAI, the only part of the console you really need is an SPG and that's just a small slim disk. (Sure I have a compass but it sits in my pocket 99% of the time.)

There's nothing wrong with not being that diver.

I use basic +1s to read small/low contrast print. I've no problem with Leonardo's display: the important numbers are about half inch tall and there's a bit of magnifying effect going on in the water.

Maybe you should rent the computers for your first outing and then decide -- especially since everybody's sold their computer division to everybody else last month and the new and exciting products are supposed to be coming out of that starting January. (Realistically they probably won't ship till April so not in time for your February trip.)

Hi gryffin,

You're correct, this is a very fluid time in dive computers, but, there are no significant breakthroughs in new products. As per the Aqua Lung thread, their "new" PPS computers are recycled Oceanic and Aeris computers without dual algorithm.

If I were you, I would buy a tried and true basic computer, along with an SPG, to dive until the dive computer arena settles and, hopefully, offers better products. Being an Oceanic guy, I would offer up the Veo 2 or Geo 2 as examples. I dive a Geo 2 as a backup to my VT3 and find it very easy to read, despite it's "wristwatch" size. It's as easy to read as my puck sized VT3. Both these computers would allow you to dive the more liberal DSAT algorithm or the more conservative Buhlmann based PZ+. Personally, I would avoid the RGBM algorithms unless you are extremely conservative in your choice. To fully enjoy your time underwater, you should get nitrox certified as soon as possible. You can do this with PADI (I'm sure others) online very easily and only have to go to an LDS to analyze a couple of tanks and get your card issued. AOW will allow you to dive some deeper and/or wreck dives without question from the operator.

Good diving, best, Craig

You concern about not being able to get your computer serviced locally should not be an issue if you purchase wisely. I've been diving for a long time, and I have owned or used a number of computers. I have only had to have them serviced a few times:

1. Two of my computers had to go to a dealer to replace the batteries. Lesson: only buy a computer whose batteries you can replace yourself.

2. The other one was also a battery issue that had to go to the dealer, but it turned out that the computer (a Uwatec) ate batteries due a design flaw and was removed from the market. It was actually recalled, and the company would have replaced it if either they or the shop that sold it to me had told me about the recall. It sat in a drawer after I stopped using it in disgust for a while, and when I finally took it in to a shop for service, they told me that Uwatec was only giving replacements for a limited time, so now all I had was a fancy paperweight. Lesson: only buy a well-established computer from a company with an excellent record for customer service.

Follow those two lessons and you should be OK with any of your choices.

Back
Top Bottom