New Divers -- I need your help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone. Trying to keep this to one simple page is hard because, while simple, there are complexities that need to be understood.

IF any of you use this as a teaching tool OR if you use it yourself to begin to understand Basic Gas Management, I'd really appreciate hearing from you if it helps, hurts or has no effect.

The ideal gas equation, which is what you're using when you assume linearity, is generally accepted as accurate to within about 1% for diatomic gases (such as O2 and N2) when the molar volume is greater than about 5 liters per mol.

Is that when the elastic collisions assumption breaks down?

As a new (26 Dec 2008) OW Diver with 15 Dives, I appreciate the value of this discussion.

Whilst my response(s) below are off topic, they are in response to some of the content of the discussion.

Regarding the Agency Training and more specifically the alleged "missing" training from/by some agencies, I can say that our Instructor Wilco Both (PADI) taught us most of what is being spoken of above and certainly more than appears to be the norm around the world for OW. It was made very clear from the beginning that most/many calculations made regarding gas(es) and the properties of gas(es) involved proportional and/or inverse proportional rules. This applied to numerous aspects including consumption. These were not explained at a very complicated level and I am sure my 10 and 11 y/o children would be able to grasp the concept with relative ease. They were however explained in such a way that it was pretty obvious that they needed serious consideration and that the results could severely impact on duration and effect relative to depth. I accept that we may have been fortunate, and that other students may not have been exposed to the same quality of Instruction. I also accept that with my Wife and I both being from Safety Critical environments (Air Traffic Control and Medicine) he may have pitched the training at a slightly elevated level (assumption on my behalf). It is unfortunate that there is such an apparent disparity in the level of training within some (various?) agencies. As a result my Wife/Buddy and I plan to proceed to our Rescue Diver level within PADI and then cross train to another agency as a means of "broadening" our exposure to the various techniques and demands made at/by other agencies. I must add that there is much valuable information available to the general public through books, periodicals and the internet, that any person who strives to "know more" is not without a massive amount of information - the only downside to that is that some knowledge without perspective can be a dangerous thing.

Regarding the use of computers, we were fortunate enough to have the financial means to not have too many restrictions in place (within reason) and could afford UWATEC Galileo SOl computers for both my Wife and I. Now I can already hear many of the seasoned divers baulking at us for relying on technology (I understand that) however, we have as far as reasonable possible used the computer as a "confirmation" of our knowledge of the tables and other critical information. We have "agreed" that we will comply with computer warnings (that we preset; max depth, min gas, RBT - 3 min and so forth) and recommendations that it prescribes (safety stops, pdis stops and so on). Our common understanding is that these user warning level settings have been considered, discussed, agreed and set by us whilst sober, on the surface and with sound mind, we can re-evaluate them on the surface if (based on experience) they seem too restrictive. The problem with SCUBA is that it is restrictive by it's nature and accepting that as a basic principal and truth is the first step in understanding the safe limits. So for us, the computer is a tool that we use when all is going well and normal, if there is any failure of our primary equipment or we encounter any other "problem", we accept that the dive is over and we ascend in the safest possible manner considering the nature of the issue we have encountered. The problem is not the computer the problem is (not) knowing it's place in your procedures.

Question:

I have never thought about the unlikely event of being faced with the possibility of an Non-Metric Insta-buddy. My initial thoughts are that that might give rise to enough "concern" that I may call off my dive. Any thoughts on this ?

While I may have life experience, I am a fledgling underwater, all constructive criticism will be considered.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

I don't understand your question regarding a "Non-Metric Insta-buddy." What would be the problem? While there might be issues of communication of gas while underwater (for example), that would be the only one I could think of -- and that should be easily solved.

What do you see as the problems?

BTW -- I am all in favor of using dive computers, especially air integrated ones, to assist divers -- in particular new divers.

I don't understand your question regarding a "Non-Metric Insta-buddy." What would be the problem? While there might be issues of communication of gas while underwater (for example), that would be the only one I could think of -- and that should be easily solved.

Have not given it any thought, it popped into my head as I was finishing my response, it will of course all come down to the perception of limits, depth, air reserves. You are correct that these could be sorted (and maybe written on a slate for enhanced underwater communications if needed).

BTW -- I am all in favor of using dive computers, especially air integrated ones, to assist divers -- in particular new divers.

..... with all the base knowledge to go with it yes.

Regards
Richard (Riger)

Thank you to all those who provided sensible advice in this thread.

I have set my Dive Computer to warn me when my Air is at 70 Bar. I will still monitor the gauges (SPG and Computer), but at 70Bar, I will change my focus to the ascent phase. It does not matter if I have gradually ascended to 5m already as part of following a reef or if I am at 18m taking Photo's of a Nudibranch, I will be aware that I am nearing the end of my dive and hence my surfacing. It does not mean I cannot appreciate the scenery on the way, it just means I am in a different mode.

At the moment my Buddy is my Wife, but on occasion she will end up with another buddy and you may end up as mine .... I promise to look out for you as well as I would look out for her, I trust you will look after her with the same commitment. (For me the buddy-system is based on that explicit support. If you doubt your commitment to the other diver, rather reject them on the surface in the sunshine than under the water and in the Shyte).

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Closed for review...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

After the deletion of several off topic post, I have re-opened this thread.
Please feel free to start a new thread to explore advanced or technical gas planning, air integrated computers and other topics. This thread, as the title read’s is for new divers and Peter’s charts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom