Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone recommend taking a antihistamine such as cetirizine (Zyrtec) Benadryl or Claritin. Take them a few days before you dive so it gets into your system, also tilt your head back (looking up towards the surface) when equalizing
My doctor did recommend me taking Claritin.

No gear will ensure a pain free descent. The only thig that can guarantee that is you. SLOW DOWN. As the person with issues equalizing you control the rate of descent for you and your buddy or instructor. If you need to go down at 1 ft per minute that's what you and the other person do. Period. No compromise is necessary on your part.
Equalize every breath and go slow. If you start to have any difficulty go up and try again at an even slower pace.
Trying to force or power through the issue will end up with you hurt. Even if you make it down, the inflammation caused by the forced descent could cause a reverse block on the way up.
I would not buy a $1000 computer in an effort to reduce the risk of pain on the way down. The speed will tell you nothing your body isn't already shouting at you.

I would not buy a $1000 computer in an effort to reduce the risk of pain on the way down. The speed will tell you nothing your body isn't already shouting at you.
^^^ THIS ^^^

"i am willing to give it another try" - it sounds like you're unsure of being able to dive? I certainly wouldn't blow a ton on a computer before you work things out. A computer will NOT help you with this. If anything, I'd think focusing on a computer would be a distraction from focusing on what your ears are doing.

Lots of people have difficulties equalizing. There are many approaches, different things work for different people, and you need to figure out the combo that works for you. There are a zillion discussions of it on this board you might read for ideas. As far as your list-

1. Docs Ear Plus, this product is suppose to block the amount of water goes into your ear and help with equalizing. Can you use it for a deep dive? Will it cause pressure diffences if both or one of them fell out of your ear?
I've used these for years and they do help me equalize. I use them on all dives. One falling out should not be a problem. I wear a beanie mostly to keep my hair out of the way, but it does keep my plugs secure.

3. EarShield Water Repellent spay.
4. Ear drying Aid.
Maybe not a bad idea. Using some kind of ear beer after every dive at least is a good idea to help prevent infection, I do that every since I got an outer ear infection and have had no issues since. But I don't see how these will help you with equalizing.

5. I also visited my family doctors, he recommended me keep using Claritin and Flonase.
The better living through chemistry approach is somewhat discouraged, yet common and helps many folks.

1. Docs Ear Plus, this product is suppose to block the amount of water goes into your ear and help with equalizing. Can you use it for a deep dive? Will it cause pressure diffences if both or one of them fell out of your ear?

Hi Natedive,

Doc's earplugs have small holes in them, so the pressure equalizes no matter the depth.

I use Doc's earplugs on every dive. They don't necessarily help with equalizing. They do keep your ears warm--even in tropical water! I have pulled an earplug out in tropical water and whoa nelley, is that ever cold!

They advertise that your ears don't clog up as much if they are warm. I find it to be true.

I have a chronic sinus congestion problem. An instructor told me to blow my nose u/w at max depth and then every ten feet as I ascend. I still can't believe the snot that comes out of my nose and fills my mask. By the second day, my sinuses are cleaned out and equalizing becomes much, much easier. Don't blow hard enough to push snot up your Eustachian tubes. Nice and gentle. One nostril at a time.

I also sleep with a humidifier running. A good one.

In the shower, before diving I suck water up my nose and clean out my sinuses. It hurts, but it does clean out the gunk.

I have practically solved all clearing and reverse block issues.

You may not know that your sinuses are chronically impacted. I didn't. How would I? Congested sinuses were a normal everyday thing.

After two days of diving, I can 't believe how well I can breathe through my nose.

Try these RXs.

You may have my issue, and you may not.

Blowing your nose every ten feet on ascent is painless. What is it going to cost you?

Good luck,
markm

THIS:

No gear will ensure a pain free descent. The only thig that can guarantee that is you. SLOW DOWN. As the person with issues equalizing you control the rate of descent for you and your buddy or instructor. If you need to go down at 1 ft per minute that's what you and the other person do. Period. No compromise is necessary on your part.
Equalize every breath and go slow. If you start to have any difficulty go up and try again at an even slower pace.
Trying to force or power through the issue will end up with you hurt. Even if you make it down, the inflammation caused by the forced descent could cause a reverse block on the way up.

AND THIS:

AND THIS AGAIN:

Please read it three times--take it from someone who thought his diving avocation was over because of clearing issues.

dive on and don't quite,
markm

Thank you so much for your info.
The reason i am looking for a dive computer is because it will help (i assume) me finding out a descending rate for myself, then i can follow this rate in future dives. I know my ears are the best monitor for that, but would it be helpful if i have a data to look at?

Hi Natedive,

Doc's earplugs have small holes in them, so the pressure equalizes no matter the depth.

I use Doc's earplugs on every dive. They don't necessarily help with equalizing. They do keep your ears warm--even in tropical water! I have pulled an earplug out in tropical water and whoa nelley, is that ever cold!

They advertise that your ears don't clog up as much if they are warm. I find it to be true.

I have a chronic sinus congestion problem. An instructor told me to blow my nose u/w at max depth and then every ten feet as I ascend. I still can't believe the snot that comes out of my nose and fills my mask. By the second day, my sinuses are cleaned out and equalizing becomes much, much easier. Don't blow hard enough to push snot up your Eustachian tubes. Nice and gentle. One nostril at a time.

I also sleep with a humidifier running. A good one.

In the shower, before diving I suck water up my nose and clean out my sinuses. It hurts, but it does clean out the gunk.

I have practically solved all clearing and reverse block issues.

You may not know that your sinuses are chronically impacted. I didn't. How would I? Congested sinuses were a normal everyday thing.

After two days of diving, I can 't believe how well I can breathe through my nose.

Try these RXs.

You may have my issue, and you may not.

Blowing your nose every ten feet on ascent is painless. What is it going to cost you?

Good luck,
markm
I just ordered the Doc’s earplug first time kit, and i will definitely give it a try.
I also got a Neti-pot, i have used it before and it worked pretty well when i had a cold, and never thought it will be helpful for diving.
I know i have a long way to go, and that’s why i want to be prepared from all perspectives.
Thank you so much for your tips and encouragement.

I don't have ear issues but Neti-pot the morning of a dive eliminates the feeling of built up and loosened gunk wanting to get out of my nose part way through the dive. One less minor issue underwater. Highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom