New Divers and Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan a single dive on a warm day (but not hot), keep her moving, and keep the dive short, it won't be too bad. We do a lot of certifications here in Puget Sound with our students in wetsuits, and on the first dive, so long as we can keep them moving, they mostly do okay.

If you want this woman to LIKE diving in the Eastern Pacific, get her into a dry suit. I know this, because I wasn't even going to get INTO Puget Sound, period, when I got certified. Only a dry suit got me to do it, and only a very good dry suit and some heavy duty investment in undergarments has kept me doing it.

If you plan a single dive on a warm day (but not hot), keep her moving, and keep the dive short, it won't be too bad. We do a lot of certifications here in Puget Sound with our students in wetsuits, and on the first dive, so long as we can keep them moving, they mostly do okay.

If you want this woman to LIKE diving in the Eastern Pacific, get her into a dry suit. I know this, because I wasn't even going to get INTO Puget Sound, period, when I got certified. Only a dry suit got me to do it, and only a very good dry suit and some heavy duty investment in undergarments has kept me doing it.

The Catch 22 is that she doesn't want to invest in gear until she knows she will enjoy it, and She won't enjoy it if she is cold.

Then I would say to watch the weather, and pick a nice, warm, sunny day to take her someplace like Lobos, where the entry is easy and it's not a long swim to see a bunch of really cool stuff. Plan a long surface interval, and lay the wetsuit out in the sun so the neoprene warms. Get her completely out of the suit between dives, and dry her off and have plenty of warm clothes available, especially windbreakers.

If she got certified in a Northern California lake, she can't be TOTALLY resistant to getting into cold water!

You were OK in Puget Sound but you get cold in Catalina?
Yeah. I suspect its just that I haven't gotten the right combination of undergarments, since I was diving wet in Puget Sound and now I'm diving dry with a Trilam drysuit.
Or, could be I get colder easier now because I'm not acclimated to cold weather like when I lived in WA state? I grew up in Boulder and lived for years in colder states but have been in AZ ( reluctantly, I might add), for 9 years. So, could be that I've become a wuss.
I mainly think its just that I haven't figured out exactly the right undergarments, hood and gloves ( I've been wearing wet gloves) with the drysuit.

The Catch 22 is that she doesn't want to invest in gear until she knows she will enjoy it, and She won't enjoy it if she is cold.

I suffered through precisely the same conundrum with my wife. She didn't want to invest in a dry suit until she knew she would enjoy Pacific diving, and she knew she wouldn't enjoy it if she were cold. I pushed and pushed on this for about 6 months before I convinced her to just close her eyes and whip out the credit card. When she finally got her dry suit, she found she loved diving CA! Today, she dives mostly in a wetsuit because she likes it better. Go figure.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom