New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimRice

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad to be here!
I just recently qualified here in Durham, NC.
I then drove to NH for a two week vacation where I took a PADI Certified Weed Control Diver course from Ted Aldrich so that I can legally harvest Variable Milfoil. V.Milfoil is an aggressively invasive species of water plant that left unchecked, will ruin a lake.

All of the dives were no deeper than 12-15 feet, but what a blast!

So far, this has been the extent of my diving experience, but I'm well and truly hooked!!

NC coast has some really awesome diving. Welcome to my favorite addiction.

Come on down and dive some Florida Springs.... and maybe some of that salt stuff while your here... :)

I took the same course. I have been working in NH & Me. I am planning to move to Florida next winter and will hopefully get some work down there. Stuart fl

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Hope to hear more about your next experiences as well :D

Interesting course. Do you harvest the V.Milfoil on your recreational dives or is it something you would do commercially?

After being certified you can work as an independent contractor like a plummer, electrician etc. This problem is in many states. Texas lakes are become a problem which is close to Arizona. I would contact your state to see if this problem is being addressed. I have young high school students working with me doing the bull work. I will be conducting a work shop with the local boy scouts this spring educating them on the problem of milfoil. The first requirement is scuba certification. I personally do not conduct the weed control PADI course. It is conducted by the state of NH environmental agency DES. Believe me this work will become very lucrative in the near future. The problem can be controlled not eliminated. This is becoming a great opportunity for environmentally concern divers. uploadfromtaptalk1395156801491.jpg

howdy and welcome from south Florida...just curious...if it is an invasive species why do you have to "legally harvest Variable Milfoil." does that mean you need a license?

Yes . The training teaches you how to correctly dispose the plant. It is very aggressive. It can be spread easily. It is against the environmental laws to transport. Heavy fines to those who do not abide by the laws!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom