New Diver with question ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Italchica, I live not far from you, and I can tell you that the club scene in Hamilton is very strong. Pop into Bob's Sport and Dive (and talk to Bud or Robin, or Bob if he's there) or Rec and Tec and talk to Mitch. They could give you contact info for various clubs in the area. Some are more active than others, but all of them will offer opportunities to get out diving.

I also will echo what others have said... solo diving is NOT for new divers. I dive alone a lot, bit it requires many hours of experience and specialized equipment.

Feel free to contact me here or through FB and I'd be happy to chat~

Welcome to the board. Just be honest at all times when you are talking to someone about being your buddy. Let them know your experience level and I think you will be alright if they are. My wife and I always enjoy diving with new divers just because you see the thrill on their face when they are back on the boat. Get on a dive trip for a week and you will really feel more comfortable but don't decide you have enough experience to dive by yourself. Have fun!!

Don't be overly modest. Best to just be honest with the potential buddy.

I had an instabuddy a week ago in the keys on a reef dive trip. Asked him about his air consumption. He said 25-30 minutes. I hesitated and was tempted to do a different buddy but said ok. Figured that if it was 25-30 minutes I would get him back to the boat and then join a different pair of divers. We did two dives, each an hour long and we both returned to the boat with over 1000 psi on an AL80. We came up at an hour just because that was what the boat wanted. He was a good buddy.

I will say that once they get a bit of buoyancy and relax I like diving with newish divers. I usually get to play lead and poke along and look at whatever I want pointing out a few things to them. They stay close and don't drag me off at speeds and in directions that I do not want to go. If they find something interesting, they let me know.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario so not too close unfortunately. Only quarries close by here. Most people here go to Tobermory. Where do you dive? I might try that if the ice ever melts. Thanks for the offer.

The best bet for you might be going to local dive shops (start with the one which trained you; assuming you got trained at home) and seeing if they have outings. I work for shops around Toronto. All of them tend to invite new divers to join them when they go to places like Barrie, Humber Bay, Kingston/Brockville/Rockport, etc. A number of new divers show up and dive with Instructors and Divemasters in the same area. I'll bring a float and flag and buddy with someone. I like diving these events with new divers; I can practice my skills.

You might also find some interesting diving in the Niagara area. So look to shops down that way as well as around the Hamilton area.

Diving can be a real social event. I learned a LOT when I first started diving locally. You always find people who want to talk about other dive shops, who to avoid, who is great.

Back
Top Bottom