New Diver with question ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

italchica

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
Was just certified ACUC OWD. Loved it! Planning my next trip. Snorkelled for years but had no idea what I was missing! I had a great experience with my instructors and then went diving with experienced divers that seemed to have no problems with me as their buddy. I do need to work on my buoyancy control.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if asked before. I am alone as hubby doesn't even snorkel. Is it difficult to get a buddy when you are a new diver (only 6 logged)? I understand why an experienced diver would be hesitant, but having a competent buddy is equally important to me too. Am I better to pay the extra to go private till I get more experience? Just don't want to put in a situation where getting a buddy is a problem if possible. Not comfortable going out on my own yet.

Thanks in advance.

It's been said many times here at SB, a good buddy is one that takes it seriously. You definately don't want to solo dive until you've had much more experience. The fact that you've had only a few dives is something to share with your buddy but not a reason to be turned down. Since your husband doesn't dive you might want to find another wife with time on her hands. You could join a dive club or get your local dive shop to help you find a buddy. Perhaps you can inspire a friend to get certified and share the diving life with you. I was fortunate my wife loved diving. We dove together for 20 years. I think you'll find many experienced divers willing to dive with you. It will not be long until you will be that experienced diver that other beginners would ask for help. Good luck. Adventure-Ocean

Is it difficult to get a buddy when you are a new diver (only 6 logged)?
Usually it is easy to buddy up. The dive operator should have appropriate dives for newer open water dives. Then you will be with similar divers.
I understand why an experienced diver would be hesitant, but having a competent buddy is equally important to me too. Am I better to pay the extra to go private till I get more experience?
You may be better off getting a private dive master. It can be a real bargain & you will enjoy your diving more.

Another idea is joining a group dive trip.

Good Luck & Good Diving!

Where in Canada are you, and do you intend to dive at home?

A lot of us actually enjoy diving with new folks, because everything we can find for them to look at is exciting. And new divers who honestly want to improve their skills are even more fun, because then you can help them. This is certainly true here in Seattle -- but I have to admit it is somewhat dependent on the fact that we have ample shore diving, so there is very little cost associated with mentoring folks. It may be a little more difficult if you are talking about going out on expensive charter boats, where most people are wanting to get the best dive they can for their money.

I don't know anything about Canada diving but where I dive in West Palm, FL it is not a big deal. The primary dive is drift dives and the boats put a DM in the water toting the flag. Jump in with him and just follow along with the crowd. I have also seen pretty easy going people on the boat. Sure you can ask someone if you can tag along. When diving with my kids and BIL if I need to go up for low air I just get their attention tell them I am going up and they stick together so SAC rates are not that big of a deal. Water is clear enough you can still watch each other as you ascend. It is fun because as you go up the current picks up so you actually pass them but sort of stay with them on your safety stop just 40 feet more shallow.

It would depend on how you plan on diving if your local you may want to hook up with your diveshop and see if they are planning any outtings this way at the very least you will have. Person that is in the same area as you and can become a buddy

Easier to get a local dive buddy than to be on a trip and be the insta buddy that someone might be hesitant of. Your local dive shop should have local dive options. Go often and square aware your skills. The more you dive, the better you will get, the less this will be a concern.

Not sure were you are Canada but I'm in Ottawa, my girlfriend and I try to get out often eneugh alltho we are quite new are selves.
If you are close by and have any intrest in diving here, once the snow melts, let me know.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario so not too close unfortunately. Only quarries close by here. Most people here go to Tobermory. Where do you dive? I might try that if the ice ever melts. Thanks for the offer.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2013 at 04:51 PM ----------

It's been said many times here at SB, a good buddy is one that takes it seriously. You definately don't want to solo dive until you've had much more experience. The fact that you've had only a few dives is something to share with your buddy but not a reason to be turned down. Since your husband doesn't dive you might want to find another wife with time on her hands. You could join a dive club or get your local dive shop to help you find a buddy. Perhaps you can inspire a friend to get certified and share the diving life with you. I was fortunate my wife loved diving. We dove together for 20 years. I think you'll find many experienced divers willing to dive with you. It will not be long until you will be that experienced diver that other beginners would ask for help. Good luck. Adventure-Ocean

Thanks for your input. I will contact my local dive shop and see how that goes. I don't want to solo dive anytime soon that's for sure! I have been trying to recruit but not having luck. You are very lucky your wife dives. :wink:

---------- Post added December 24th, 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for replying. I appreciated your input and advice. :)

I have found you can find more divers than dive buddies. I know a lot of divers and end up diving with strangers. I take a few minutes to feel them out to make sure its good for both of us. You can get lucky a quarries if your local dive center gives classes there. Or you can do like I did just keep taking classes. You always end up in the water. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom