New diver safety gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Promocop .... if you are a troll or paranoid, then I guess I am in the club too. I use my own gear and no one touches it.

Ditto...

I use a DiveRite thigh pocket as my "Emergency" pocket, in it I carry:

Dive Alert L/P horn
Safety mirror
EMT shears
Jotron AQ-4 strobe
6' Carter SMB
Finger spool

I wear this pocket on every open water dive I do, emergency equipment is not much use if its not with you makes it hard to use eh...And as already mentioned above make sure you are familiar with and know how to use it all BEFORE you actually need it, an emergency is never a good time to be 'learning how to" My SMB is pre rigged.

One reason I like the thigh pocket is all items can be clipped off so when you open it under water you wont lose it all.

I also carry a LED back up which is permanently clipped to my right shoulder, if I am doing a night dive I will also add another back up on my left shoulder and will be handling my primary.

Good question. Dive safe. Cheers...:wink:

I found that attaching my small light to the bottom of the inflator hose tube by velcro has been working out for me as well as one of those strobe lights with a light at the bottom connected to the other side of by BC.

I know this one is too late for the OP, but in case others read it...

With my dives at Cozumel (with Del Mar Aquatics) I pretty quickly got the feel of whether they were organized or not. In Cozumel it's law that you dive while in the marine park with a certified DM (certified by them) and pretty much every boat dive is a drift dive. Our DMs with us had the SMBs which they inflated during the safety stop so the boat would find us easily. As Promocop says, though, some other ops might not be as efficient.

Back
Top Bottom