New diver on a budget...need equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

87GN

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in Arizona and am a brand new diver. I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment. I will be doing recreational diving, most likely in the Gulf of Mexico. I would eventually like to explore shipwrecks, so I realize that my gear needs will eventually change.

I did browse the forum extensively and do some searches, but didn't exactly come up with all of the answers I was looking for.

In other areas, I've learned that when I buy cheap stuff, it often doesn't last very long and I end up spending way more than I would have in the first place to replace it with quality gear. I'm also well aware that diving gear is stuff I need to stake my life on, so please don't take this as a "I need the absolute cheapest gear I can buy" post.

But...I'm on a super tight budget. I have a good mask, good fins and a good snorkel that were gifts. I need..."all the other stuff."

My main question is, what should I stay away from? I'm familiar with the durability and weight tradeoffs of 500d vs 1000d Cordura for body armor and other gear, is the 420d nylon dive gear suitable for light use only?

I see "compact" pressure gauges, are they suitable only as backups? I would think that the smaller and more streamlined I can make my gear, the better off I would be in the future if I needed to get into tight spaces.

Also, maybe fashion isn't the best way to pick a BC, but are there any non-flashy BCs? Preferably all black. I don't like big logos splashed everywhere.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has advice that I haven't asked for, I'm all ears.

Hello 87GN,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Considering that you are on a budget, my first piece of advice would be to save money on a regulator and buy a used setup. If you are not familiar with regulators, the best thing to do is buy one from a reputable source like DA Aquamaster. DA often post here on SB and is an all around good guy. Send him a PM, explain your future diving plans and he will probably have some rebuilt regulators that will suit whatever your diving needs are.

For a buoyancy device, consider going with a backplate and wing setup. You might want to hang out in the Hogarthian Diving forum Hogarthian Diving - ScubaBoard to get a better picture of what diving with a backplate and wing is about. Again, you can get a used plate and harness and build from there. Once you have the plate and wing if you need to make any changes it will be a much simpler and inexpensive operation than replacing an entire BC. A backplate and wing will probably be more suitable for the wreck diving in your future.

Good luck,

Couv

I would say buy used but make sure you can get it serviced. Diving in the gulf, depending on the time of year, many people do not need a wet suit so I would put that towards the bottom of my list (with tanks being the last thing you buy generally). Of course, if you plan on diving year round then some thermal protection will be needed.

-take Couv's advice then look for a really good local club that dives the way you want to (wreck, cave, vacation, etc.) You may have to drive a bit to find one, but the best dive clubs are full of helpful people who will make your start a lot smoother, less expensive, and a lot more fun.

Thank you all for the advice. I have contacted DA Aquamaster about the regulator.

I will probably not be wearing a wetsuit, my dive buddy/girlfriend prefers warm water, so...yeah.

The BP/W setups seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

What is everyone's general opinion of Oxycheq BP/W setups? I am comparing their ultralight travel plate (and "speed harness") with their SS travel plate. Is the ultra light a little too minimalist? The price seems nice though...ha.

I figure to pair that with one of their Mach V Signature wings? Is the deluxe harness that much more comfortable?

Also, what "little things" would I need on top of the BP, wing, harness, cam straps? What am I missing?

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks again.

What is everyone's general opinion of Oxycheq BP/W setups?
Oxycheq makes very good gear. While I don't find that the average diver NEEDS a BC that can resist a gunshot or a knife attack, I very much like my Oxycheq wing, and find that the quality of the construction is outstanding.
I am comparing their ultralight travel plate (and "speed harness") with their SS travel plate. Is the ultra light a little too minimalist?
I would personally find it to be too minimalist. The 2.2 lb SS Travel Plate would probably meet your needs. When diving in the Caribbean, I use a (standard, 6lb) SS BP, although I also use a 3 mm wetsuit. But, that allows me to minimize weight on my waist, which is a goal.
I figure to pair that with one of their Mach V Signature wings?
Good choice.
Is the deluxe harness that much more comfortable?
Not really. It is just more money for something that doesn't add to the value proposition.
I will probably not be wearing a wetsuit, my dive buddy/girlfriend prefers warm water
You may eventually find that wearing a thin (1 mm Microprene) vest is a good idea. Yes, it is an additional expense, but it might reduce the potential (particularly on land / boat) for harness strap / BCD abrasion.
Also, what "little things" would I need on top of the BP, wing, harness, cam straps? What am I missing?
Not much. You might eventually find you want some short loops of bungee cord or bicycle inner tube if you want to clip things to your harness, or to the backplate (lights, SMBs). You might save money on the initial purchase if you go on eBay and find a good USED SS BP. Go to a LDS and buy some 2" webbing (10'), a waist strap buckle, and 4-6 D-rings and triglides. I don't know what Oxycheq charges for the Hog rig, but looking at it, it has the parts you would need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom