New diver.. New Mask prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mulliganx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

I am starting my OW Certification classes this coming week and wanted to know the proper way to prep my mask.

I purchased Atomic Aquatics Frameless. I also purchased Spit antifog.

I read somewhere about using toothpaste on a mask, just wanted to clarify if I am OK just rubbing in the Spit antifog before use or if I need to do anything else.

Thanks,

You can use toothpaste, the regular type, not the gel. I had a scubapro mask that the toothpaste didn't work on. Someone suggested using a lighter to burn it off, and it worked. You can look on here or youtube for the lighter trick, though some will recommend that you don't.

What I do is take a butane fireplace lighter, aka "crack lighter," and burn the stuff off the lenses.

I do not burn the skirt
I move the torch quickly and don't over-do it. I see what looks like fog being removed. Once this stops, I stop with the lighter.
I do a little at a time so I don't heat the lens up too much.

If you try this, you are doing so at your own risk and the risk of your new mask. This is not intended to be advice.

:wink:

So... yeah not going to do the fire trick. Just some toothpaste then!

It may take a few times with the toothpaste. You need to scrub it until rubbing a clean finger over it makes it squeak. The best toothpaste to use is the cheap paste stuff you get at the dollar store that is made in China. Would not use it in my mouth but works great on masks!

Toothpaste worked fine on my Atomic (just don't use the gritty stuff). Pea size amount on your finger, rub it into the inside of the mask with your fingertip in a circular motion, rinse and repeat (think I did it about 5-6 times). Be sure all the mask is completely clean (skirts included) when you are done as otherwise it may make your eyes sting on first use. Lighter trick may well work but I didn't fancy trying it on a brand new mask either :wink:

scrub for 5+ minutes or be done in 20 seconds with a lighter? I always get students who come with a new mask and swear up and down they scrubbed it good and hard. They fog up, I hit it with a lighter and watch the film melt away.

I used the cheap abrasive paste toothpaste (plus a lot of elbow grease) on my Atomic frameless twice, and was still not terribly happy with the fog issue. Used a lighter until the whole inside surface of the lens was well-sooted, let the glass cool, and then scrubbed all the soot off with toothpaste followed by Dawn. No more fog issues.

It's a silicone skirt and you keep the lighter moving--you're very unlikely to damage the mask. But I'm sure someone out there is special enough to screw it up...

The lighter trick works - Just make sure the mask has tempered glass lenses and not plastic.

It sounds scary but is actually quite simple to do.

Clean, Test Defog, 3 distinct operations. It's all here

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom