new diver needs help choosing octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i'm new to diving and i'm putting together my first set
and i can't decide on a octopus
so far i got scubapro mk25 and a700
i'm trying to decide between scubapro air 2 4th generation , scubapro R295 or scubapro c200
or is there something else i should get

PS got two used second stage regulator from a friend
Poseidon Odin and Zeagle envoy
any opinion on using one of them as a octopus
thank you

i'm new to diving and i'm putting together my first set
and i can't decide on a octopus
so far i got scubapro mk25 and a700
i'm trying to decide between scubapro air 2 4th generation , scubapro R295 or scubapro c200
or is there something else i should get

PS got two used second stage regulator from a friend
Poseidon Odin and Zeagle envoy
any opinion on using one of them as a octopus
thank you

Any second stage can be used as an octo. I don't know anything about Poseidon regs, but Zeagle is a good brand. You have two candidates to use as an octo, so why not save your money and use one of them?

When I bought my current regulator I talked to several Air 2 and similar devices owners. I talked to two dive shops who converted their rental fleet to Air 2. Not a single one would buy them again. The dive shops said they were a costly mistake. That was their experience. Consider how you would vent your BCD while surfacing breathing off your Air 2.

Talk to other divers (not dive shop employees or dive shop instructors as they may limit their recommendations to what the shop sells) and ask them what they use, if they would buy it again and why.

I'd use the Zeagle, either add a yellow hose to it or a yellow hose wrap. http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/colored-regulator-and-computer-hose-wrap/

Possibly you could buy the yellow cover also - try Scubatoys. Envoy Octopus - Alternate Air / Accessories - Regulators - Zeagle Dive Systems

My buddy used an old Jetstream on his Atomic rig for a while but it would freeflow pretty often on entry - I think the Intermediate Pressure is higher in a Poseidon rig (or something...).

The only other issue is can your Scubapro dealer also service the Zeagle.

i'm new to diving and i'm putting together my first set and i can't decide on a octopus . . . i'm trying to decide between scubapro air 2 4th generation , scubapro R295 or scubapro c200 . . . PS got two used second stage regulator from a friend Poseidon Odin and Zeagle envoy
Since you are apparently considering a second stage different from what I presume is your intended primary second stage (a700), could you tell us what YOUR criteria for a second stage are? Absent that information, you will get responses that reflect someone else's criteria that may or may not match yours. For example, MY criteria are simple - 1) I won't use anything as an octo that I wouldn't use as a primary, and 2) having two second stages that use the same service parts kit is preferable.

I have an Envoy and would not have a problem using it as an octo. It is not my preference as a regulator but is nonetheless functional. It has a venturi control, but not user-adjustable sensitivity. Not a big deal and not a problem for recreational diving.

Any specific reason you're sticking with scubapro? Personally I prefer octos with lower EOB (less freeflowing), bright and ones that can be tucked in close to you. Other than that, for a device that has to work in emergencies, durability and the fact it works. I don't tech dive so I don't use anything special.

thank you all for answers
i called my scuba shop shop service ziegler and scubapro so i'm going with enjoy as a octo i will order yellow purge cover to make it more visible

once again thanks

The Zeagle is a good reg. I have one as my primary second stage with my recreational gear. Have you thought about the A700 on a long hose and put the Zeagle on a short hose with a bridle? B

I use a Zeagle Envoy as an octo on my Zeagle Flathead VI. I've never once had a problem with it.

We all make simple things difficult just buy a good inexpensive 2nd stage on a long hose since most all regs are made by sea divers tw you will prob get a oceanic alpha or a apex with a random brand on it unless you are into coach or Gucci peruses it doesn't make a dam you can buy the rebuild kits tilos scubamax ist trident apex aqualung hog zeagle aries oceanic hollis ect they all fit the 2nd stages there about 3 diffident 2nd stages all are good esp. for an octo. seadivers.comtw/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom