new diver needs help choosing octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are apparently considering a second stage different from what I presume is your intended primary second stage (a700), could you tell us what YOUR criteria for a second stage are? Absent that information, you will get responses that reflect someone else's criteria that may or may not match yours. For example, MY criteria are simple - 1) I won't use anything as an octo that I wouldn't use as a primary, and 2) having two second stages that use the same service parts kit is preferable.

I have an Envoy and would not have a problem using it as an octo. It is not my preference as a regulator but is nonetheless functional. It has a venturi control, but not user-adjustable sensitivity. Not a big deal and not a problem for recreational diving.

I add one other criterion. All my alternates are adjustable. That way I get top performance when I want it but can detune it when not being used to better resist freeflows. With your rig, a G250, S600, or C300 would meet the criteria.

When I bought my current regulator I talked to several Air 2 and similar devices owners. I talked to two dive shops who converted their rental fleet to Air 2. Not a single one would buy them again. The dive shops said they were a costly mistake. That was their experience. Consider how you would vent your BCD while surfacing breathing off your Air 2.

Talk to other divers (not dive shop employees or dive shop instructors as they may limit their recommendations to what the shop sells) and ask them what they use, if they would buy it again and why.

i'm not sure about air 2 ,but air source vents the same as all other inflators
i can pull shoulder dump on either side of my bc,or butt dump if in hor. position
or i could take it out of my mouth and push the dump button
it is what it is and i know where my safe second is
i see an awful lot of scrambling for octos when someone mugs them for their primary
necklaced octos-not so much-like ever-your air source is "right there" like your inflator hose
know your equipment and practice with your buddy
money cant buy it all
have fun
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom