New diver, need a buddy for shallow water dive in FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asif

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I am a new diver looking to do a shallow water diving around Ft. Lauderdale, Key largo area during the thanksgiving. Is there anyone who wants to help me in this? Finding a group / buddy would be very helpful. I got certified this summer, and am yet to do a real ocean dive.
Any suggestions about how to plan this is appreciated.

Find a dive outfit that does shallow reef dives 40-60ft max and do the insta-buddy. I tend to dive as a solo diver most of the time when I'm doing boat dives. Its not a big deal sometimes you can pair up with another pair in a 3 man dive time.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

check out meetup.com for Gold Coast Scuba, South Florida Beach Divers, Force-E. not sure what if any boat charters are scheduled for that weekend--- i know most of us are going to be at Blue Heron Bridge on that saturday morning.

otherwise Tom's sugestion of a shallow wreck/reef with an pair-up - just let them know your new & talk to your buddy

In West Palm Beach, most of the charters provide in-water dive guides that mind the dive flag and reel. If you decide not to dive in Ft Lauderdale with Gold Coast's meet up group (where you are sure to find people to dive with), just dive in WPB and stick close to the dive guide. The only flaw with this strategy is that the dive guide probably won't come up with you since he/she will likely be breathing Nitrox (I assume you'll be on air) and won't come up until the last diver (who is also likely to be on Nitrox and if local, might have a big cylinder) is ready to surface. You can also just hook up with someone on the boat as DM Tom suggests above.

Asif, if it is an option for you, check out Key Dives in Islamorada. We did our first ocean dives with them and I don' think we got to 30 feet on any dive and they cater to new divers. They will help with your gear if you need it, buddy check you before the dive and put a guide in the water too.

Florida Keys ? Islamorada Diving | Key Dives

Thanks a lot! Key Dives seems to be interesting.
I am still not confident about splashing into big waves / ocean waves, so its bit of a concern until I am able to talk to the guys there. But will certainly be checking with them.

okay..that was my bad.. this sat is open... so i might be free for a shore dive around 10am in lauderdale by the sea.... depending on surf conditions -- might be rought... on thanksgiving got family plans all day and got to work on friday :( BOOO...

I'm at Jules saturday morning early with 2 students and on the early shallow reef trip sunday at Ocean Divers. PM me if you're interested in either one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom