New Diver.... Mask Selection Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sslkrissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am just now in the process of doing my PADI open water certification and have purchased my mask, fins and snorkle. Please tell me if the mask I got is a decent one: Visually Enhanced Mask. Initially, I had purchased the Pilot (on the bottom) and then switched it for the EagleEye-SL (on the top) b/c the EagleEye just feels smoother on my face.

Is this considered a low profile mask? I am worried that I will have problems clearing it...

Thanks for any help!

Hello all,
I am just now in the process of doing my PADI open water certification and have purchased my mask, fins and snorkle. Please tell me if the mask I got is a decent one: Visually Enhanced Mask. Initially, I had purchased the Pilot (on the bottom) and then switched it for the EagleEye-SL (on the top) b/c the EagleEye just feels smoother on my face.

Is this considered a low profile mask? I am worried that I will have problems clearing it...

Thanks for any help!

It's fairly low profile. (not the lowest profile possible, but not too bad). You shouldn't have any problems clearing, but then, on scuba it's not hard to even clear a high profile mask. I learned to scuba with a mask like this one. It was easy on scuba. I gave up on it, though, in my NAUI advanced class when I had to do a snorkeling ditch and don. It's a big pain to clear a huge mask like this on one breath.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/UDRMWAB.JPG

Hello all,

Thanks for any help!

Hi sslkrissi,
I do not have experience with this specific mask but I can tell you that the best mask for you is the one you feel most comfortable with and that fits you properly. Granted there are many features masks offer us divers these days, purge valves, wider field of vision, lower volume etc. etc. but in the end the mask (whether expensive and cutting edge or cheap entry level) has to keep that bubble of air in front of your eyeball so you can see what is going on in front of you. If it does this properly then you'll likely be happy with the mask provided it fits well. If you're unsure, try it out in a pool first. I have to admit it looks like a pretty attractive mask to me but again, it's not in the looks but whether it works for you or not. :coffee:

Thanks for the replies. One other question though... between the EagleEye-SL and the Pilot (click on link in my original post), which is better? Are the more benefits to one over the other? What about the fact that the Pilot looks more compact over all? Also, the Pilot has two lens instead of one???

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. One other question though... between the EagleEye-SL and the Pilot (click on link in my original post), which is better? Are the more benefits to one over the other? What about the fact that the Pilot looks more compact over all? Also, the Pilot has two lens instead of one???

Thanks

I really do understand your quest for the perfect mask and trying to make an informed decision. Bottom line is, do the masks you are looking at fit your face like a match made in heaven. If so, then either mask is GREAT for you.

The mask that leaks the least is the best. I like the ScubaPro Framless and Crystal View, only because they don't leak as much. Love the Hydrooptix masks. They deliver as advertised, but me and the skirts are not a good match.

What Melicertes said...

Back
Top Bottom