New diver lost in the arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

800px-

That GG is approaching the size that I would not approach. :shocked2:

Here is another sizeable friend from the barrier reef .. on the right is my buddy, on the left is a rather big fish !

Attachments

• IMG_1420E.jpg
    IMG_1420E.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Hi.

.... I felt confident in my training (PADI OW/AOW) until I read through the forums, and now I am not so sure. I am questioning whether I should get additional training or just dive. ...

OW/AOW all at once (about 50 hours?) is too much, too quick - you are rushing it.

You need a 100 hour course to really learn how to dive

These seem to be stating completely opposite takes on training, but begs the question did I get enough training?

So, trying to digest and make sense of all of that has [-]eroded my confidence in my training[/-] caused me to question the validity of my training. I think I can dive fine in 40-60 feet, but jeez, I don't want to be "that guy" on a dive boat.

Hi John,

I would just make a few points.

1. Some professional trainers are competing for business, and get it by convincing divers that the typical diver training (i.e. PADI) is woefully inadequate. Their training program may indeed be superior in some respects, but that does NOT mean your training is insufficient for the kind of diving you want to do.

2. In my opinion, the best training you can have is time in the water. That is what makes you comfortable and competent and able to handle problems like fatigue, strong currents, vertigo, or a free-flowing regulator.

3. With diving, the more you learn, the less you know, and this makes real experts humble people.

4. The best divers enjoy learning and never stop. They buy dive books and take advanced scuba classes and ask questions. This characteristic cannot be taught: You either have the time and interest and motivation, or you don't. Do you want to be one of the best?

Thanks,
Mike Boswell

oh wow, that sounds scary having your mask strap break at 30m. thats pretty deep. at least for me...im new haha, but yea, the more new problems you come against, the more wisdom you gain. that goes for everytime my car breaks down too. every new problem she gives me, i learn how to fix one more thing. thats good advice you got

Wow, that's a great picture! I'd love to swim around with a fish as big as I am.

jstamets, this thread is really fun to read. Please keep us posted on your further diving career -- I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Will do. Unfortunately, that is not one of my pics - need a housing for my camera. The GG we saw was about that size - maybe a tad bigger. Even the Guide was excited when we got back to the boat. It came out of hiding and swam right for a fellow following us snapping pics - he had to have gotten a couple of incredible shots. It was as long as the diver, without the knees bent. It didn't occur to me to ask him if he got a picture or to share it! That was on Elbow Reef and apparently that GG is there frequently, according to Avery.

To continue the story, in addition to the diving we will be doing at the end of April, it looks like I am switching to SDI/TDI, so I can work with David Roesch since I will be continuing a tech track in training. He has invited me to dive with any of the appropriate classes to help get my experience up since I am lacking a dive buddy. My LDS is finally adding a serious Tech department and he just joined on.

Lots of other recreational dives planned as well. We were invited to Curacao to work with Secore on assisting the researchers with gathering coral spawn at the end of August. Trying to make that work out. Night dives in the Carribean with heavy surge. We'll see. I need to get night before then if we go, but we'd be diving with Clyde Woodburn, who is a TDI Instructor Trainer, so probably in pretty good hands, there.

Also looking at my first drysuit for the Great Lakes. Trying out a DUI CF200, CLX450 and a Whites Fusion Bullet.

I posted a few photos of the trip in my album area: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/4710

-John

Last edited:
Remember that skill you did in Open Water class where you swam around without a mask on? There's a reason we teach that skill.

I was leading a guided dive when I started having problems with my mask flooding. I kept clearing it and clearing it while thinking Dang! this mask is driving me crazy!
Then I noticed my snorkel falling away in the water column...uh...what the heck is that about? Oh, my mask strap came completely undone!

Remember I am guiding divers! Well, I simply signaled stop to the group, handed my flag line to the nearest diver and proceeded to grab my snorkel, put it back on the strap, rethread the strap, put the mask back on and cleared it. The group silently applauded:)

The good training I received way back in my Open Water class paid off!

Remember that skill you did in Open Water class where you swam around without a mask on? There's a reason we teach that skill.

I was leading a guided dive when I started having problems with my mask flooding. I kept clearing it and clearing it while thinking Dang! this mask is driving me crazy!
Then I noticed my snorkel falling away in the water column...uh...what the heck is that about? Oh, my mask strap came completely undone!

Remember I am guiding divers! Well, I simply signaled stop to the group, handed my flag line to the nearest diver and proceeded to grab my snorkel, put it back on the strap, rethread the strap, put the mask back on and cleared it. The group silently applauded:)

The good training I received way back in my Open Water class paid off!

I havn't touched a snorkel after having made mine into a speeding projectile into the gulfstream upon completing my last AOW dive many years ago. :D

Also looking at my first drysuit for the Great Lakes. Trying out a DUI CF200, CLX450 and a Whites Fusion Bullet.
-John

John may also want to take a a look at the E.Lite by Santi.

Check out Fourth Element for the best undergarments known to man!

Just dive! Confidence and comfort underwater will only come by doing it. I agree that the AOW should be open water II, but dive some! It is like a driver license, it gets you in the car legally, gaining experience is up to you. I am 59, been certified for 25 years,am a PADI Divemaster with over 500 logged dives. Take your time and enjoy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom