New diver lost in the arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstamets

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

Although I have posted a couple of comments, this is effectively my first post. I have spent a while reading up on the forums and have learned a lot, but also have a lot of questions regarding my training, or lack thereof and the right and wrong ways of doing things.

To be concise, I felt confident in my training (PADI OW/AOW) until I read through the forums, and now I am not so sure. I am questioning whether I should get additional training or just dive. Now, I know that you can't really answer that not knowing my background or why I came to that question, so what follows below is a very optional read to explain that. It was part of my original post, but really is just background and maybe not relevant.

Thanks,

John

==============================================================================
Background

Well, thanks for sticking it out this long. I had the opportunity to snorkle in the Bahamas right out of High School back in 1983 and desired then to be able to dive. When I was in college, I saw that the University offered a scuba class for credit (about 1987, if I recall, I was taking the scenic route) and decided it would be a great way to get the cert I wanted since snorkling. It was an 8 or 10 week class with meetings once or twice a week, I don't recall. I do remember "harassment" excercises, which built our confidence, treading water with our arms above water for 10 or so minutes, an eternal survival float, swimming laps and an underwater swim and some other water skill assessments. As a previous competitive swimmer and lifeguard, these weren't terribly demanding at the time, since back then I could swim 50 yards underwater, but I wouldn't call them cake. I spoke with a person who was in the class who later became an instructor and he indicated that the class was taught way too tough - more of a rescue diver level and that you didn't need that kind of training to rec dive. We even learned decompression diving. I don't remember the agency. It might have been YMCA, but again, I can't recall. Well, as I said, that was in college, winter quarter, and the tuition did not cover the open water dives, and so, being a poor college student, I never finished getting my certs. Flash forward 20+ years and I am working on the things to complete in my life list.

Well, this last summer I got my OW through PADI and felt that it was too easy compared to my previous training and wanted to get more, so I went on to get my AOW. To make sure I kept diving I also purchased my gear. My wife and daughter showed interest, so now they are OW and Jr AOW certified as well, also with their own gear. I was really looking forward to diving, but after reading the boards, I am not so sure that we are really qualified. I have no dives yet, outside of my certification dives. I do not consider myself an advanced diver.

Here are the conflicting points I have observed from the forums so far- this contributes to my uncertainty.

1A. Don't take AOW right after OW - you need more dives to make it gel.
1B. Take AOW right after OW because it is really just OW part II, to get more training, but remember that you are not truly advanced (kinda moot at this point for me).

-----
2A. OW/AOW all at once (about 50 hours?) is too much, too quick - you are rushing it.
2B. You need a 100 hour course to really learn how to dive

These seem to be stating completely opposite takes on training, but begs the question did I get enough training?

So, trying to digest and make sense of all of that has [-]eroded my confidence in my training[/-] caused me to question the validity of my training. I think I can dive fine in 40-60 feet, but jeez, I don't want to be "that guy" on a dive boat.

Last edited:
Come on man make your own decision Scuba Board can give you info but there will allways be conflicting opinions and advice, I guess the best person to decide the next step in your diving would be you thats it thats all. Just one other thing for me it is the Instructor who is the most important consideration when seeking training and building my confidence when diving.

Suggestion Number 1: ScubaBoard has severely limited my productivity and real world social interaction. Quit now and don't look back; Scuba is just a recreation, even 10 year olds can do it.

Suggestion Number 2: Use this post as the definition of a troll.

Suggestion Number 3: Realize now that most replies to this thread will not be able to give concise advise on the complicated nature of the OP; use your edit button and ask one easy question, then another easy question thread post, then another, etc.

Come on man make your own decision Scuba Board can give you info but there will allways be conflicting opinions and advice, I guess the best person to decide the next step in your diving would be you thats it thats all. Just one other thing for me it is the Instructor who is the most important consideration when seeking training and building my confidence when diving.

Ultimately, that is what I am doing.

Suggestion Number 1: ScubaBoard has severely limited my productivity and real world social interaction. Quit now and don't look back; Scuba is just a recreation, even 10 year olds can do it.

Suggestion Number 2: Use this post as the definition of a troll.

Suggestion Number 3: Realize now that most replies to this thread will not be able to give concise advise on the complicated nature of the OP; use your edit button and ask one easy question, then another easy question thread post, then another, etc.

1 - I can see how this could happen.

2 - I am NOT trolling! Sorry if it seems that way! I edited the original post to make it less inflamatory. Thanks for pointing that out.

3 - I offered the detail to support why I am asking the question. I changed it a bit. Still long, but hopefully a better read.

Last edited:
I think you are over-thinking this. You ARE certified, you have you OW and AOW. So that means you have at least 8 - 10 dives under your belt.

The BEST thing (in my conflicted, contrary internet opinion) is just dive! If you are not comfortable on your own, hire a DM to guide you or go on "group-dives" organized by your local shop.

The best piece of equipment you own is between your ears, and the best way to teach it is to DO it.

If you are so shaken by what you have read online and you have done all this training but have yet to dive then perhaps SCUBA is not the sport for you.

I feel like I just got trolled...

1 - I can see how this could happen.

2 - I am NOT trolling! Sorry if it seems that way!

3 - Well, I offered the detail to support why I am asking the question. I will go back and edit it though. Thanks.

Hi, John! :happywave: Welcome to the board!

First, may I recommend you ask a moderator to move this to the "New to Diving" forum? They have a 'friendlier' atmosphere, and the smart alecs are not allowed to post as did these two. :shakehead:

Are you by chance an engineer? You write like one! :rofl3: I'm sorry for laughing, but I are 1, 2 . . :D

Here's the bottom line: You and your family have received volumes of information. You are now certified to dive. Compare it to the apprentice (or intern) on your team. You have the knowledge, now you have to apply that knowledge, practice it, until it becomes second nature.

When y'all go diving, it is up to you to read your books again before you go, to practice your skills before you go . . . in local pools, for example.

If I may analogize to motorcycle riding: You can teach the rules of the road, and you can teach the skills of riding, but until one has a year under his or her belt, they are still in the most dangerous time of riding.

Why? because when you need the skills, you are much better off if you just do them from muscle memory. Trying to "think" when immediate action is needed slows responses, and that is when people get hurt. Practice diving, practice good skills, and you will be much more ready to respond.

As for which which agency is best . . . :shakehead: . . . that's like "which beer is best?", "which university is best?", "which automaker is best?" . . .

It's all about the diver . . . .

I think you are over-thinking this. You ARE certified, you have you OW and AOW. So that means you have at least 8 - 10 dives under your belt.

The BEST thing (in my conflicted, contrary internet opinion) is just dive! If you are not comfortable on your own, hire a DM to guide you or go on "group-dives" organized by your local shop.

The best piece of equipment you own is between your ears, and the best way to teach it is to DO it.

If you are so shaken by what you have read online and you have done all this training but have yet to dive then perhaps SCUBA is not the sport for you.

I feel like I just got trolled...

No trolling - thanks for the reply. I am not really shaken, but I like to approach issues of safety with confidence. Perhaps I have oversold my concern.

Much of the knowledge and skills required for scuba can be discovered and developed on your own if you are willing to do the research and work. Paying attention to the discussions (arguments) is one learning resource.

Hi, John! :happywave: Welcome to the board!

First, may I recommend you ask a moderator to move this to the "New to Diving" forum? They have a 'friendlier' atmosphere, and the smart alecs are not allowed to post as did these two. :shakehead:

Are you by chance an engineer? You write like one! :rofl3: I'm sorry for laughing, but I are 1, 2 . . :D

Here's the bottom line: You and your family have received volumes of information. You are now certified to dive. Compare it to the apprentice (or intern) on your team. You have the knowledge, now you have to apply that knowledge, practice it, until it becomes second nature.

When y'all go diving, it is up to you to read your books again before you go, to practice your skills before you go . . . in local pools, for example.

If I may analogize to motorcycle riding: You can teach the rules of the road, and you can teach the skills of riding, but until one has a year under his or her belt, they are still in the most dangerous time of riding.

Why? because when you need the skills, you are much better off if you just do them from muscle memory. Trying to "think" when immediate action is needed slows responses, and that is when people get hurt. Practice diving, practice good skills, and you will be much more ready to respond.

As for which which agency is best . . . :shakehead: . . . that's like "which beer is best?", "which university is best?", "which automaker is best?" . . .

It's all about the diver . . . .

Ah yes, I am a computer programmer and before that a lighting and scenic designer, so lots of technical writing in my history! Good catch.
Also, I can take the heat from the others. If I screw up, call me on it.
The detail I left out is that my wife and I are heading to Key Largo in February. Not strictly for diving, as we love Key Largo anyway, but since we will be there... I was really looking forward to an ocean dive, but we only have experience in quarries in Ohio - and not a lot at that. We have already set up some pool time at the LDS and we are going over our training again before we leave. I also planned on finding a Dive shop that will take our experience into account, but once I started reading here, well, I like to be prepared for anything, that's all. There was such a large disparity between my first training years ago and my last one, that sort of got my attention as well.
Thanks!

Welcome to the board John. You recognize that your class may have been a bit quick and possibly short on details. That happens a lot, and it is great that you recognize it. But don't let it psych you out.

To get to the meat of your question, the best thing to do for you probably isn't more "official" training, but finding a person or group that will dive with you and help you. Many of the folks on this board and people in local dive clubs are more than happy to buddy with an inexperienced diver and work on skills. I found both, a local dive club, and a great group on Scubaboard. NOTHING will beat experience. Diving with people you know that can answer your questions is the best way to build that experience.

Good luck. If you are ever in Eastern PA, I'd be more than happy to go on a few dives with ya!

Back
Top Bottom