New diver lost in the arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my training (or that of my family) is inadequate, then we will not dive until it is so. I will not compromise that. But in order to make that decision, I need to know from people like you why the three classes that I have had are inadequate, since the agenc(ies) that certified me (or almost certified me, in the case of the older class), inform me to the contrary.

You answered the question yourself. If you had completed the process with your college class as you described it you would have no doubt that you were ready for your open water dives. Had you demonstrated any real degree of discomfort a YMCA instructor would not have given you the card. In fact they could not have and stayed within standards.

Jump to today. When someone leaves my class they are fully capable of planning, executing, and returning from a dive in conditions similar to or better than those in which they trained and they know it. Agencies that are WRSTC members also have this as a goal. That there are divers out there who are not comfortable or competent enough to do this is proof that they are not even meeting their own stated goal. You should have no doubts about being able to do warm water dives in good vis even if they are in the ocean. Minus strong currents and depths beyond recommended limits for OW divers had your training been adequate you would not have any doubts. If you had trained with me or with an instructor who adheres to the same standards I do you would not have a card if you or I were not fully confident in your abilities. This is the trademark of an SEI Diving Instructor. We cannot issue a certification unless you are fully capable in OUR estimation to meet the standards we ascribe to not only in skills but in knowledge and judgment. Other agencies say an instructor cannot withhold certification if you meet the skills and knowledge standards. We can. In addition had you taken an SEI course you would have had rescue skills, task loading exercises to increase your comfort and confidence, as well as time in the pool to really practice the skills and be sure you were ready to even do checkout dives. For example I would not hesitate to withhold certification from someone who had not completed every item in the course requirements no matter how much they paid or what kind of deadline they were on.

Last edited:
I would say the best thing to do is to just get out and dive. If your local dive shop has a club, join it and do as many dives as you can with them. The club dives will generally have at least one divemaster or instructor, and usually more. I have done almost all of my diving since certification with either my original OW instructor, the owner of my LDS, or even some of the other instructors. I have asked them to point out anything that I should do differently, I have gotten some great input and have made some changes. I have on one occasion done a solo dive for spearfishing, and was a bit out of place when I was getting ready to go in since I am used to going in with a group of other people. Yes I was only in 15' of water and actually just laid myself down on the bottom waiting for stripped bass, but the water around here is quite murky and dark.

In short, just dive. Go to your dive shop and ask if there is anyone who wants to go. You can usually find at least one person with more experience than yourself.

The only way you get to be a skilled diver is to dive.

You could dive in groups or with more skilled diver and learn by doing.

I would just have fun and dive. Start shallow and easy and just have fun.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will go dive!
And Jim - one of these days I might just be giving you a call, since I do believe in continuing educatation and the passion for safety you stand for. I just wish I had the money back in the day to finish the first class. 20+ years of diving lost!

Having worked in Key Largo, you will be well prepared for the diving there. Most diving there is gentle <40ft reefs. Most dive shops gear most of their trips to this level of diving with a few deeper dives scheduled. Don't hesitate to ask for an inwater guide for any dive (especially the first one) or one of the deep wreck dives. There is a great sticky thread at the top of the Florida Conch's Forum with all the Keys info to help you plan your trip.

You will have a blast! Enjoy one of my favorite dive destinations!

Thanks! We have been there before, but were not divers then. We love the laid back environment. One of the criticisms I have heard about Key Largo is the lack of a night life but that is one of the things we enjoy - the quiet wind off the gulf or from the south at night. The only operator I am familiar with is It's A Dive by the Marriott. Do you have a favorite operator you might recommend? Thanks again!

I'm a Big fan of Horizon Divers & Garden Cove Divers. Had fine trips with Silent World & Rainbow Reef. Know/knew folks at Ocean Divers, Capt Slate's Atlantis, Amoray, Pennekamp State Park, & It's a Dive. Have heard nothing but great things about Conch Republic. You have lots of options. You can do a search for recent reports on these ops. Some are Scubaboarders. Chat with them and let them know what your needs and expectations are and I'm sure they will be able to accomodate your family.

Yep, not much night life, but lots of great eateries, some very scenic. There is a thread on these too.

Do post a trip report to let us know how it went.

jstamets, the fact that you are asking questions is a very good omen for you becoming a good diver. But it takes time, and everyone starts somewhere. There are certainly more things to learn than you have gotten from your OW classes, but not all of them need to be learned at once. I WOULD highly suggest you read THIS article by our NW Grateful Diver, because learning how to think about your gas supply is something you can do right away, and the article will give you tools for managing that supply better than "back on the boat with 500 psi".

There is more to learn about decompression theory, and more to learn about buoyancy control, and a variety of kicking techniques to learn . . . I've been at this for five years, and I haven't run out of things to learn and things to improve. What you want to be at the beginning is safe, and the scary thing about that is not knowing what you don't know. The gas management article is a good place to start, but all the articles on Bob's site are excellent. Then go look up the 5thD-X videos on YouTube and get an idea of what you are working toward!

My thoughts from my experience and my friends.

OW - Then dive some (10+) in the next few months
AOW - Then dive some more (10+) in the next couple of months
Rescue Diver course

Then start taking other courses like Deep Diver (which is great to understand your SAC rate).

These classes and just diving will continue to build your confidence.

Talk is cheap. Doing is everything.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will go dive!
And Jim - one of these days I might just be giving you a call, since I do believe in continuing educatation and the passion for safety you stand for. I just wish I had the money back in the day to finish the first class. 20+ years of diving lost!

Would love to hear from you. In fact if you are going to be anywhere near Columbus in March I will be at Scubafest (Index Page) representing SEI Diving. I will also be giving two presentation/workshop type talks. One on Underwater Navigation and another titled "The Buddy System- Is it failing divers or are they failing it?". If you want oa littel more insight into my training methods have look at my website. I did not mean to come across as a real hardass when it comes to safety and training. Even though I am :D. One of the hardest things that I have worked on and think I have done a pretty good job of is keep that and still make my courses FUN.

I could most likely get more business if I made it seem like taking a course from me would be like a day at an amusement park with lots of laughs and good times for all. But that is not me. This stuff is fun. But it is serious fun. Someone expecting all laughs would most likely not appreciate me handing them an autopsy report of a diver that got separated from their group, or the photo of a deceased diver who ignored training and had to be brought out of a cave or up from a wreck.

I have a pool session scheduled for this week for two divers. Refresher type deal if you will. One is going to Puerto Rico next week and I will be flying down to do his checkouts later that week. The other is going to Cozumel and wants to work on his weighting and will most likely be retaking AOW with me as his previous AOW class with another instructor was not up to his expectations. It also looks like he will be bringing his 17 yr old son and his wife if she wants. The 17 yr old is typical of kids these days. 10 feet tall and bullet proof. But wants to do deeper dives and wrecks.

According to the dad his buddy skills "need some work". My attitude and class practices are why he thinks taking AOW from me would help. It will be fun for the boy. But it will also be made clear that he needs to stay with his buddy. And he will know in no uncertain terms WHY he needs to. And that is one of the keys to my teaching methods. I do not feel that monkey see monkey do courses are effective ways of instructing. They do work- sort of.

Usually until the diver gets in a situation where everything is going really smooth and they are in a really sweet space. Then some clod kicks their mask off and knocks the reg out of their mouth! it then becomes very clear why I spend time not only showing them how to clear the mask but explain why I have them do it between 20 and 30 times during the class in every conceivable yet safe condition I can create.

While swimming, hovering, during the doff and don, bailout, with the mask blacked out. With the sweep method, reach, going for the octo instead of the primary, and signalling the buddy. It is why I spend time going over lung expansion injuries in class and make sure the student understands above all else that there are very few life threatening situations. FOR THE WELL TRAINED DIVER who is comfortable and confident of their abilities. For the less well trained and anxious there are many.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom