New Diver looking for sites in FL or Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheyenne4

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I am a new diver, I have actually not been on any dives other than the course classes (both open water and advanced). So technically I am advanced certified, but actually have never gone out other than with the classes. This is because I live in New England and do not have many opportunities to dive. I'm 20 years old, and this coming March I am going to finally have the opportunity to dive somewhere with clear water and warmth! I've never even been in an ocean warmer than about 60 degrees.
Anyways, I am looking for basically any areas in Florida and possibly the Caribbean that have good dive sites, that are welcoming and helpful for new divers, and also have enough interest where it would not be hard to go either in a group or be set up with a dive buddy, as it will just be me going out diving. I need to find an area that has hotel accommodations and diving centers and charters close and easily accessible, as well as an area that is not overly expensive in terms of diving or the hotels and other things.

I hope to hear back with some suggestions!
Thanks so much
-Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne4,

When I go on trips with my wife I'm a solo diver (my wife does not dive). Almost every place I've gone in the Caribbean has allowed me to dive with a group. They usually have a bunch of people diving solo. I frequently bump into people like yourself. I'll chat up people at the dive shop and find a buddy. You could do the same thing. For anyone who shows up in these groups but don't self-pair, the shop is usually pretty good about sticking together solo divers. I have also seen divers who tell the dive guide they are new to diving, never been in the Caribbean, only did class dives, never dive without their instructor, etc. and the guides are usually pretty good about taking care of them.

Now this said, if you go with a buddy or a group you tend to find dive operations who do longer dives to better locations. The boats are not over-crowded and you seldom see stupid or horrible divers. When you go for the 'group' dives you tend to end up on what people call a 'cattle boat'. There will be someone who is stupid or horrible at diving. They'll think they are great and if you get stuck with them it could ruin your dive.

Personal, I'm pretty out going and I tend to find a buddy rather than get stuck with 'the horrible' diver. Another option is hire a DM to be your dive buddy. It costs more because you are paying for them to be there but that could be an option for you.

As a new diver, even the 'okay' sites the cattle boats go to will be pretty good. Because you don't know what you are missing, anything you try should be pretty good.

A third option is check with local dive shops and see if they have trips to the Caribbean or Florida. My local dive shop is also an authorized travel agency. They put together dive trips all the time. This means the instructor who certifies people is going to be on the trip to serve as a guide. They usually hook you up with others from the shop. I know a few guys who have found life long buddies on these sort of trips.

If you cannot find a local shop organizing trips you can join trips from here or other online forums. I know a lot of the guys on Activity Stream - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board meet up to do semi-local diving (I'm planning on diving with someone from there this Spring) plus ScubaToys puts together dive trips.

Hi Cheyenne. I'm certifying this year to be ready to back to St Kitts. Easy flight through Atlanta, and there is a dive shop connected to a hotel called Bird Rock Beach. All reasonable...we just snorkeled last trip. I was easing my husband into water sports, and the place was very welcoming. Can't wait to get back. Let me know if you try it out. It is an interesting country. Alexander Hamilton was born on Nevis (The island next door. They form their own independent country.)

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

I need to find an area that has hotel accommodations and diving centers and charters close and easily accessible, as well as an area that is not overly expensive in terms of diving or the hotels and other things.

Well, I stayed at the Hotel Marriott in Key Largo, Florida, and Rainbow Reef Dive Center was located at the end of their parking lot. You can drive from the mainland to Key Largo and back. Fly into Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Key West, rent a vehicle & drive to Key Largo. I don't know how water temp.s & sea conditions in Key Largo are in March, but here's my trip report from last September.

Richard.

Amy Slate's Amoray dive resort in Key Largo is a great for new and single divers- user friendly pontoon boat and they will pair you up. DIve sites ( other than designated trips out to the deep wrecks) are 45 feet and shallower with lots to see. Everywhere you go you will find people to dive with, whether on a charter boat or a local club as is posted above. Other place for a first dive trip that I think are good include Grand Cayman and Roatan.
DivemasterDennis

I agree with Dennis. Key Largo has the best recreational diving in the Keys, and would be an excellent choice for a first trip. You will need a wetsuit, since water temps in March are usually low to mid 70's. Roatan and Caymans are also excellent, but would probably be enjoyed more once you gain a bit of experience.

I would suggest going to Key Largo Find Florida Keys map information here at Fla-Keys.com. Fly into Miami, rent a car and a hour later your in Key Largo. I've been to most Caribbean Islands and live in Fort Lauderdale. You will be just as happy in Key Largo as traveling farther, going to the islands. The Marriot is very nice Key Largo Resorts | Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort but there are other places to stay that are less expensive. Scuba Gear & Dive Equipment Key Largo | Underwater Photography Trips | Diving School & Classes Certification I use this company as they limit the boat to 6 divers and the first one to book chooses the dive site. There really isn't anything in any of the islands you won't eventually see in the keys other than a very few endemic species on some islands. Everyone speaks the language, weather is great, diving is generally very easy, shorter travel times, and less hassles. Look at Paul Humans reef book for the Caribbean and you will see most of the fish are from my area of Florida. I would ask questions of any dive operator to find out what's important to you, like how many divers vs size of boat. Slate had so many people on his boat we had to suit up in shifts. Some operators are on the west side of Key Largo so you have wasted time by having to cross over. The Spiegel Grove has some strong currents and you should be comfortable with those types of conditions before going. Whichever operation you go with, make sure your comfortable with your dive buddy and you both understand the dive plan before going

I would suggest that you stay in the US. Key Largo and or Fort Lauderdale are great places to go with plenty of shallow sites I say stay in the US until you get a little experience under your belt. Unless you have the experience, a lot of resorts in the Caribbean try to take you on trust me dives.

The winter has been cold in the Northeast and while Florida has some fine diving this time of year, 70 degree water and wetsuits suck. My suggestion is head further south and get in to some warmer water. What you want is a place with easy casual diving. No cattle boats and with dive masters that are fine with you tagging alongs with them.

Once place that comes to mind is one of our favorites Salt Cay. You dive along the wall as deep as you would like and then come back on top at ~40 feet. Rinse and repeat. The boat rides are short. The only hitch is getting there - it takes an island hopper flight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom