New Diver, looking for regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NotOnlyButAlsoPete

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Just recently certified. Looking to eventually get into the urchin diving. I've recently picked up my BCD (TransPac II with Atomic SS1 Safe Second).

I'm looking to pick up my first regulator. My wallet and desire to keep things simple has been making me look at the Mares 12S (MV or Rover) which I see on a certain jungle website for anywhere between $175-$200 for the first and second stage. However, I'm also spotting a number of older used Conshelf SE2 and XIV regulators that are cheap ($70-180), but of undetermined condition.

What do you all advise for a new diver on a budget? Stick with something new that I can learn with and make my own, or go for the older and highly regarded stuff and take my chances that it is up to snuff and can be serviced?

Very happy to be here! Looking forward to learning lots!

There are many purchase decisions that a new diver should spend a lot of time on, because the various option really affect your diving: BCs, dive computers, exposure suits, even fins. I just don't think that regulators are in that category.

If your budget isn't so tight that you really have to get a used regulator, I would buy a new one from a major company that can be serviced in a dive shop that is convenient to you (you will need to do this at intervals). Any current regulator will work fine for a new diver, or even an experienced diver in most conditions. Despite the marketing, there isn't much difference in the way these breathe. If you are doing ice or very cold water diving, you might need one that is environmentally sealed, but other than that they are all very similar.

Used regulators are fine - I have bought them myself - but unless you are going to save the cost of the initial overhaul that should be done on any second hand reg, I'm not sure you should bother.

Thank you! What is it you like about these? I've not heard of Deep 6, but then again, I'm new.

Both HOG and Deep 6 have good reviews and new regs normally do not come cheaper than this. New is new, you know... If you buy used regs, you have to reckon with service and repair costs before you can use them with peace of mind. But give a close look to the TX50 in the post above. Apeks is the golden standard for regulators, you cannot go wrong with them. 300$ for a set with a DST first stage is a very good deal, if you are OK with Yoke. (I dive XTX50 and am very satisfied.)

Last edited:
Both HOG and Deep 6 have good reviews and new regs normally do not come cheaper than this. New is new, you know... If you buy used regs, you have to reckon with service and repair costs before you can use them with peace of mind. But give a close look to the TX50 in the post above. Apeks is the golden standard for regulators, you cannot go wrong with them. 300$ for a set with a DST first stage is a very good deal, if you are OK with Yoke. (I dive XTX50 and am very satisfied.)

Thank you! I'll check out that Apeks a little more. The thing is, I don't think I really need an octo at the moment because of the SS1. I wonder if I could call and get the set for cheaper with just the 1st and 2nd only...

What do you all advise for a new diver on a budget? Stick with something new that I can learn with and make my own, or go for the older and highly regarded stuff and take my chances that it is up to snuff and can be serviced?

There are three sensible ways to approach the regulator purchase:

1) You can purchase new gear from a local dive shop. This is the most expensive approach, but it's easy and you should end up with local service and advice, at least if your local dive shop stays in business.

2) You can purchase new gear on a mail order basis.

3) You can purchase used gear, and either have it serviced or learn to service it yourself.

Generally you want to think about service over the longer term and have some sort of a plan in place. For most of the regs sold by local dive shops (e.g. Scubapro, Atomic), service parts aren't sold retail, so you can't service them yourself. Deep Six has a manufacturer-based service model where you mail in your regs, and also will sell parts to anyone. Most of the gear recommended for mail order purchase has parts readily available.

Servicing your own gear is not for everyone. While it's not especially difficult, it does require some general mechanical experience and a certain mind set.

My approach has been to purchase used regulators with good long-term parts availability prospects, service it myself, and replace the hoses. I end up paying around $200 per complete regulator set this way, but it takes time to find good deals and do the work.

Hello!

Just recently certified. Looking to eventually get into the urchin diving. I've recently picked up my BCD (TransPac II with Atomic SS1 Safe Second).

I'm looking to pick up my first regulator. My wallet and desire to keep things simple has been making me look at the Mares 12S (MV or Rover) which I see on a certain jungle website for anywhere between $175-$200 for the first and second stage. However, I'm also spotting a number of older used Conshelf SE2 and XIV regulators that are cheap ($70-180), but of undetermined condition.

Very happy to be here! Looking forward to learning lots!
Anything nice and light for travel by the brand names. Scubapro, Aqualung etc. Funnily these often breath better at shallower depths than the heavy duty deep water regs. If you buy used, which is fine, always factor in the cost of a service. You are normally better off with new and the warranty that comes with it.

This may just be a rumor, but has anyone heard that Scubapro is going out of business? Hard to believe that is the case. Just wondering if anyone else has heard that.

Back
Top Bottom