New Diver, looking for regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your plan is to use the SS1 it needs to be serviced along with your other regs since it is one. Or should be at least inspected if you plan to buy regs new. Funny thing is at a $200 price point for new regs, the SS1 will be the best 2nd stage you own, Atomic builds their octos/SS1 to the same performance standard as their other seconds.
The SS1 breathes as easily as the primary and allows the diver to control buoyancy.

So it might be good to find whatever other brands your local Atomic dealer sells/services so one tech can do both at the same time. Or find a nearby dealer that does. Eco Dive Center in Culver City should be one. They're also ScubaGearExpress.com and sell Mares also.

LeisurePro.com also has the MV for $199 if your Amazon link sells out.

It sounds like as a new diver that self-service is not something you want to start out doing. If that's the case, factor in service intervals when making a new or used purchase. Parts are always the cheap part of the equation, my parts costs are like $15-20 - labor is always closer to $60-80.

I'd go for that Apeks deal also. Sell the octo 2nd here on SB - it's worth $150 new so you should be able to get some of your money back. TX50 Octopus - Dive Right in Scuba

IMO it's a much better reg than the entry level Mares MV. All set up for cold water use since I'm assuming the urchin diving is local. Apeks is distributed in the U.S by Aqualung so parts/service is available at any AL dealer as well. Probably more of them worldwide than anyone else.

Deep6 is a new company that just started shipping product this year. For the price of that set, I'd buy the Apeks first also.

Last edited:
If your plan is to use the SS1 it needs to be serviced along with your other regs since it is one. Or should be at least inspected if you plan to buy regs new. Funny thing is at a $200 price point for new regs, the SS1 will be the best 2nd stage you own, Atomic builds their octos/SS1 to the same performance standard as their other seconds.

So it might be good to find whatever other brands your local Atomic dealer sells/services so one tech can do both at the same time. Or find a nearby dealer that does. Eco Dive Center in Culver City should be one. They're also ScubaGearExpress.com and sell Mares also.

LeisurePro.com also has the MV for $199 if your Amazon link sells out.

It sounds like as a new diver that self-service is not something you want to start out doing. If that's the case, factor in service intervals when making a new or used purchase. Parts are always the cheap part of the equation, my parts costs are like $15-20 - labor is always closer to $60-80.

I'd go for that Apeks deal also. Sell the octo 2nd here on SB - it's worth $150 new so you should be able to get some of your money back. TX50 Octopus - Dive Right in Scuba

IMO it's a much better reg than the entry level Mares MV. All set up for cold water use since I'm assuming the urchin diving is local. Apeks is distributed in the U.S by Aqualung so parts/service is available at any AL dealer as well. Probably more of them worldwide than anyone else.

Deep6 is a new company that just started shipping product this year. For the price of that set, I'd buy the Apeks first also.

Thanks for the really great response!

I'm very much not opposed to servicing my own gear. I've been trying to be selective about what I purchase so that I would be able to modify or service it as much as is safe to do on my own. I chose my BCD because of how modular it is, and I'd kind of like my regulator setup to have the same idea as much as possible. However, from what I'm gathering, there isn't as much to a regulator as it seems and I might be overthinking it.

That said, I'm about to pull the trigger on this Apeks deal. That is, unless more folks chime in favor for the used Conshelf idea. It does seem like going used would bring me up to the same price I'd be looking to spend any way I slice it.

And I agree... that SS1 probably has been the best part of my setup. And it came with the Transpac! Hmm... maybe I should look harder at the Atomic 1st and 2nds.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate the warm welcome and the advice so far.

One thing to understand is is it's difficult to find Apeks parts for self-service - Aqualung is known for how tightly they control their inventory and being supportive of their dealer network. Some years ago when companies were embracing Internet purchasing, they were the only ones who required you to buy online but would only ship your gear to their nearby dealer to promote that relationship. Now I don't even see the Aqualung store online anymore.

I was going to mention Atomic as an option but you came across as budget constrained so I didn't. Besides the obvious advantage of being able to be serviced with your SS1 - every Atomic is among the best breathing regulators out there. From their $429 Z2 to the $1600 T3 - they ALL breathe the same - the difference in price is primarily based on the exotic metals used. And added features like 1st stage turrets or 2nd stage swivels. Also being piston regs for extreme cold water conditions you may have to have them sealed - it's $40 per service.

Due to design Atomic offers a factory 2 year/300 dive service interval standard. Built in Costa Mesa and the factory does service also - just costs more than thru your local dealer most likely. Atomic is not an easily self-serviced reg either though.

If you think you're going the self-service route, maybe consider the above choices, HOG or Deep6. Robert Tarak at Scubatude near you (Santa Clarita) teaches the HOG class (I believe it's required b4 you can buy parts kits) or there's probably going to be one at the Long Beach at Scuba Show next spring. They've recently dropped the requirement to have a tech certificate b4 taking the class, now it appears anyone with a HOG reg. is eligible. IDK what Deep6 plans to do.

I'm pretty sure Scubatude is also an Atomic Dealer as well in case you want to go that route but ease into the servicing aspect.

Last edited:
The DRIS Apeks deal is pretty hard to pass up.

But, the Conshelf series is smart way to go as well: serviced by virtually anyone with service kits available. Well established track record. And, if you decide to service yourself, they are easy to do [I service my own equipment and have one]. Intermediate Pressure can be adjusted with a quarter. If you are shopping around for these, make sure it's the newer series like IV or SE as they have 1 HP and 3 LP ports. Not a lot by today's standards, but It's all I need.
If you do get a 1st and 2nd stage Conshelf, you could get a balanced adjustable 2nd stage and add it as your primary. I have had Beuchat, Scubapro and Scubamax balanced seconds on mine.

I am also a new diver, and am looking for a regulator. Have you guys seen the Cressi xs2/ac2 on Leisure or Amazon for $150 for both stages. I realize you get what you pay for, but the reviews seem pretty good

I started my short diving career almost 2 years and 70 dives ago. Needless to say, I've been diving alot lately. I started with older Oceanic alphas I bought cheap. No adjustable and would free flow when hit with waves. I do lots of shore diving in SD so that sucked. Plus they feel and look like vacation dive gear. I upgraded to Hollis DC1 212 Regs from DGX for around $400. Those were very good regs and I dove them for about 40 dives in cold and warm waters. I recently started hearing and reading about Deep 6 and have been growing more and more intrigued. Coming up on the first annual service to keep Hollis warranty in force ($100 per year) had me adding all of my future servicing compared to the 4 years of only one time postage to Deep 6. This alone pays for their on sale $395 single tank setup. I love everything about the way this company only believes in one superb 1st and 2nd stage. I also trust that cave divers aren't designing faulty/low quality regs. After all there is too much on the line. I listed and sold my Hollis regs too purchase these. I sent an email to customer help from the deep 6 site and Chris (the owner) responded from his mother in laws while on Holiday! I'm excited to receive my regs and would reccomend you consider these too. I thought Holiday sales price was over 12/20 but it's still there. I would jump on it before it goes away... I'm not interested in having the most expensive gear just because it's "so much better". I dive weekly in colder water so I want a dependable workhorse that is sealed, balanced, and adjustable. Also very important to me is serviceability and parts availability on travel. I have 4 years before worrying too much about a full service price and will have parts with me always because they come with my new regulators! Hope this was informative. I would avoid used. You will eventually want to buy something else as you grow in the sport and then be stuck with paying even more...

If you think you're going the self-service route, maybe consider the above choices, HOG or Deep6. Robert Tarak at Scubatude near you (Santa Clarita) teaches the HOG class (I believe it's required b4 you can buy parts kits) or there's probably going to be one at the Long Beach at Scuba Show next spring. They've recently dropped the requirement to have a tech certificate b4 taking the class, now it appears anyone with a HOG reg. is eligible. IDK what Deep6 plans to do.
According to their blog, their service class is a TDI approved specialty class that you can take from them (at demos) or independent instructors. For self service they will, upon request, send you a service kit for free, just pay shipping, every two years for each stage you've purchased, for life. No comment as to if they require you take the course before sending you a free kit.

When you buy your @Deep Six regs, you will receive a spares kit and a USB drive in the Drybox that it comes with. The USB contains the service manuals for the regs. The purpose of this is to allow you to get repairs done while travelling, just give the USB to whichever LDS you end up in and they can do the necessary to get you diving again.

The first service is free, so you send in the regs and your service kit, they send back with a new kit. That means first 4 years / 400 dives are free service (pay for shipping only)

If you consider routine maintenance, your choices are:

Purchase a service plan from Deep6. With this, you mail in your regs and the service kit to them, they service and send you back a new service kit, so you dont end up with out of date spares. Under this plan, you pay whatever the cost was when you bought the plan, so you are locked into the service price as long as you have the regs (nice anti-inflation measure)

Send to Deep6 when needed ad-hoc. Same as above, you pay what the price is when you send it in. Nice for those who self service usually but might not have time etc etc

Service at your LDS. Give them a copy of the USB, order service kits from Deep6 when needed and let their techs service for you. Service kits are around the 10-20$ mark so seem to be cheaper than most of the competition.

Self-service. Do a generic regulator servicing course, use your USB and service kits are available from Deep6 as needed. If you have the opportunity, you can do a course with selected Deep6 agents/instructors to be more specific.

According to their blog, their service class is a TDI approved specialty class that you can take from them (at demos) or independent instructors. For self service they will, upon request, send you a service kit for free, just pay shipping, every two years for each stage you've purchased, for life. No comment as to if they require you take the course before sending you a free kit.
I'm not sure what blog you read, but straight from their website under Deep thoughts "With regards to service kits, our regs ship with spare kits and the first service is on us anyway. We really feel like we are leading in the industry here by providing our customers with a spares kit that can be used for repairs in a pinch, while on vacation for example."

Couple thoughts...

The USB Drive with manuals hasn't been done..yet. It';s on the list but I haven't finished that project. That said, the info will be on the web site adn we will start putting usb drives in the regs when ready with the user/service manual.

To the service class, yes, it is a TDI approved specialty.

Back
Top Bottom