New diver looking for options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir Garreth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off I have less than 10 dives. I've used only rentals minus the basic mask, snorkel, boots, and fins. My few dives have been on a cruise in the Caribbean. I'm completely hooked (big surpirse). I now want to do more local diving. Based out of Texas so it will be Lakes, springs, rock quarry type diving. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather so wont be doing much there. I wont be doing tech diving or cave diving or really deep water diving. My most adventurous idea would be the occasional wreck diving in warm waters of course. I give all these details to give you an idea of what kind of diver I plan to be so I apologize if I seem to ramble. My dream dive would be Palau.

Right now I bought a Suunto Zoop Novo after reading up on it I feel like it is the best option for me wanting to pursue a recreational dive type. Also, if ever upgrading wouldn't be a bad secondary. I do plan to eventually do nitrox but do not see myself venturing into trimix or a rebreather

As for BCD I went with the Scubopro Go. I'm happy with the choice but have read on here the negatives about the Air II. This is the setup I went with regardless.

So I'm not looking for an octo or backup.

I'm looking for options for my main reg (first/second stage) that is good for travel. All the regs I've used gove me fits when I first start using them until I've full submerged and spent a few minutes working with it. I'm always nervous/anxious when I first dive but always goes away once I "hit the point of no return", in my mind. So this might be something completely in my head but even so if I could find a regulator that has a little modification available to it so I can dial it to where I'm comfortable wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like the idea of the Scubapro mk21/s560 but other than that totally clueless on good options.

For the kind of diving you want to do, almost any reg will work out fine. For compatibility with your Air2 you would want to avoid Poseidon and anything with an unbalanced 1st stage. That still leaves 90% of the market.

Performance differences are mainly a matter of tuning, that is, proper setup by a tech.

You've received good advice here @2airishuman you'll do well with the vast majority of regs on the market. We all have our favorite regs and brands. The pair you mentioned I would think you'll be very happy with.

Enjoy diving!
Cameron

going with scubapro would keep servicing simpler to match your air2. best bang for the buck would be a used set that is sold serviced. vdh has a mk10/g250 at a reasonable price. if you prefer new, i would hold off until thanksgiving to see what is on sale or look for the subgear sg50 on clearance. tusa regs may also be another option and are far cheaper than scubapro from a dealer new.

For the kind of diving you want to do, almost any reg will work out fine. For compatibility with your Air2 you would want to avoid Poseidon and anything with an unbalanced 1st stage. That still leaves 90% of the market.

Performance differences are mainly a matter of tuning, that is, proper setup by a tech.

New to the game...what do you mean by unbalanced first stage?

New to the game...what do you mean by unbalanced first stage?

2 basic types of first stages
unbalanced-very simple, but the intermediate pressure *what goes to the reg in your mouth* changes as a function of tank pressure
balanced-slightly more complex, but the IP does not change as a function of tank pressure. This gives more consistent breathing behavior to the second stages

each of these then get more complicated, but basically avoid the Scubapro MK2 and any of the real cheap first stages *note cheap does not equal bad, just less expensive*

Unfortunately the VDH store is closed right now due to @OWIC647 getting braced for Irma, but I would check out the Mk10/G250 that was mentioned above. It will last you the rest of your diving career unless you choose to get something different.

That makes sense. Thabks for the clarification. Hurricanes are the ONLY thing I don't miss about living in Florida.

What is VDH?

As said above - for your intended use, just about anything is going to be fine. I would just ensure that you get at least one stage balanced-either a balanced 1st or balanced 2nd. Ease of service and support is key. Scubapro and Aqualung probably reign there although I don't know if your local shop supports either one of those brands. Aqualung Titans and Scubapro Mk11 +R195 are good choices.
There is really no such thing as a beginner regulator set up. There are specialty tools for specialty work but for typical sport diving - nah.

As for the refurbished stuff you can find at the VDH store (whch is currently closed) that Mk10+G250 - I would buy that in a heartbeat if I needed another set up. I just scored a Conshelf 21 in mint condition and freshly serviced for 90.00 a month ago from VDH - got it in the post and took it to 140 ft the next day. Very nice breather and with them, you know you're having a REAL rebuild and FULL operational test before it ships.

First off I have less than 10 dives. I've used only rentals minus the basic mask, snorkel, boots, and fins. My few dives have been on a cruise in the Caribbean. I'm completely hooked (big surpirse). I now want to do more local diving. Based out of Texas so it will be Lakes, springs, rock quarry type diving. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather so wont be doing much there. I wont be doing tech diving or cave diving or really deep water diving. My most adventurous idea would be the occasional wreck diving in warm waters of course. I give all these details to give you an idea of what kind of diver I plan to be so I apologize if I seem to ramble. My dream dive would be Palau.

Right now I bought a Suunto Zoop Novo after reading up on it I feel like it is the best option for me wanting to pursue a recreational dive type. Also, if ever upgrading wouldn't be a bad secondary. I do plan to eventually do nitrox but do not see myself venturing into trimix or a rebreather

As for BCD I went with the Scubopro Go. I'm happy with the choice but have read on here the negatives about the Air II. This is the setup I went with regardless.

So I'm not looking for an octo or backup.

I'm looking for options for my main reg (first/second stage) that is good for travel. All the regs I've used gove me fits when I first start using them until I've full submerged and spent a few minutes working with it. I'm always nervous/anxious when I first dive but always goes away once I "hit the point of no return", in my mind. So this might be something completely in my head but even so if I could find a regulator that has a little modification available to it so I can dial it to where I'm comfortable wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like the idea of the Scubapro mk21/s560 but other than that totally clueless on good options.
The Scubapro MK21/S560 is an excellent choice to fit your needs and it is a great value.

The MK21/S560 has received Scuba lab's Best Buy and Sport Diver Editor's pick awards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom