New Diver looking for dive watch style computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral Polyp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As the title says I'm a fairly new diver certified only up to OW through SSI. I'm looking to buy my first dive computer and want something in watch style of computer. I both scuba dive as well as have interest in free diving so watches that are dual compatible are a perk. The current computers that I've narrowed down my selection to are the Mares Smart dive computer, Oceanic Atom 3.1, and the Cressi Newton. The buying points I could get these computers new at are, in order, $230, $430, and $300. Any other suggestions or info to narrow down my search?

Last edited:
Compare apples with apples. If you want a non AI computer, compare the Geo2 at $350. The Mares and Cressi computers have conservative RGBM decompression algorithms. The Oceanic offers the liberal DSAT and the more conservative PZ+ decompression algorithm. If you want the option of AI , the Atom 3.1 is a good deal.

Last edited:
Compare apples with apples. If you want a not AI computer, compare the Geo2 at $350. The Mares and Cressi computers have conservative RGBM decompression algorithms. The Oceanic offers the liberal DSAT and the more conservative PZ+ decompression algorithm. If you want the option of AI , the Atom 3.1 is a good deal.

Thanks for the response. I'm not super interested in a AI computer and the Atom is apparently not super intuitive so it might be easier to go with a non oceanic computer from that standpoint. I'm not super worried about having a more liberal computer so I'm leaning away from the oceanics a bit due to usability. I'm a little concerned about what I saw from the Mares that it locks in freedive mode for 24hrs after being used which might be annoying if I want to snorkel then dive within 24 hours.

Oceanic manuals suck but there are online classes at the DiveNav website. $8 well spent.

Oceanic computers especially the Veo2 are superior and the best for entry level and average diver. It also does free diving. Cressi is junk and would not touch it.

The online training for the Veo2 is great also. I have used computers from different vendors and I have yet to see a good manual from any of them.

Last edited:
I'd also recommend the Oceanic Geo 2.0. It is a versatile dive computer and a good everyday wristwatch.

Thanks for the response. I'm not super interested in a AI computer and the Atom is apparently not super intuitive so it might be easier to go with a non oceanic computer from that standpoint. I'm not super worried about having a more liberal computer so I'm leaning away from the oceanics a bit due to usability. I'm a little concerned about what I saw from the Mares that it locks in freedive mode for 24hrs after being used which might be annoying if I want to snorkel then dive within 24 hours.

I have had an Atom for 2 years and always found it easy to use.

If I were going snorkeling, well, I wouldn't even wear a watch/computer. But, if I did wear my Atom or any other computer while snorkeling, I would just leave it in Dive mode.

If you are frugal, then you may want to consider future proofing your dive computer. As you get older, you will (most likely?) want a larger display than a watch style. Dive computers can last for many many years.

Back
Top Bottom