New diver, looking at Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see this a lot, but I don't really understand why. I am trying to educate myself on the differences (and not just go with what the salesman tells me to buy at the dive shop), what is the reason to stay away, and what should one look for in a dive computer.
Scuba Board users hate Suunto. This is a kind of anti-viral marketing thing. On the other hand they love Shearwater and Deep 6/previous brands from the same bloke due to 1) shearwater being nice computers, 2) proper viral marketing efforts, having SB users as dealers etc.

The hatred for Suunto comes for three claims 1) they are unreasonably conservative and you will have to get out of the water too soon 2) they will lock you out for minor “violations” 3) they use a proprietary algorithm and so you cannot use “open source” planning tools, write your own or match the computer exactly against another computer using an “open source” algorithm.

I believe this is an irrational and uninformed hatred based on received wisdom, group think and an obsession with NDL as a measure.

I own (and use) both Suunto (mostly a Helo2) and Shearwater (Perdix and a Petrel on a CCR). I dive with people with both Suunto and Shearwater computers. The odd person has an Aqualung or Mares. I have an Ocenic I lend out and I have been using an Apple Ultra with the Oceanic+ on recent dives to see how it behaves. I dive the Shearwater with a GF setting of 50/85 or 50/80 (depending on the seriousness of the dive). This is approximately the “medium” conservatism.

I dive in the U.K. in cold water and doing two dives a day with a decent surface interval. Occasionally I go abroad and do the four dives a day warm water thing or the two dives in the morning thing that seems typical of the warm water holiday diver. U.K. divers are generally trained for deco and so NDL is not always the limit to dive dive.

For fun (and to vaguely properly understand how it works) I coded up SB’s favourite deco algorithm (Bulhman GF, as seen in Shearwaters and now lots of computers - including as an option on Suunto’s top of the range Eon Steel).

I generally find that there is not a huge difference between the dives I can do, including no deco dives, between the Suunto and Shearwater. A significant difference can happen if I am forced into an unreasonably short surface interval by some unreasonable tropical diver operator. This is because the Suunto algorith has additional “knobs” which increase conservatism in a number of circumstances which might be regarded as bad diving practice. This, when compared to, for example Oceanic or a GF of something/95 (Ie Shearwater set to aggressive) means that a Suunto with have a shorter NDL on a second dive following a short SI (eg an hour).

For actual data points, on a recent OC deco dive (35 minutes at 36m on 27%) after 15 minutes of stops the HelO2 (on most aggressive setting) was clear, 5 minutes later the Apple Ultra (50.85) was clear and 2 minutes later the Shearwater (50/85) was clear.

So I don’t think Suunto is especially conservative Compared to what I am prepared to dive at least. I have dived with some proper experts too, and I don’t see them setting their Shearwaters more aggressively than I set mine.

Lockout is another favourite. To lock out a Suunto you have to stay above your ceiling for 3 minutes. This means you have to be in real deco (not a safety stop or a Pyle style deep stop) and go too shallow for quite a long time. The only way that happens is if people completely ignore their computer. There might be some corner case in a cave someone will contrive but really it never happens. I dive with lots of people, in a club, using Suunto’s and I have never seen one bent accidentally. I have bent a Zoop using it as a bottom timer on a trimix dive. I have bent the Oceanic+ App on the Apple Ultra not respecting it’s idea of a safety stop - that was no surprise as I was decoing on a rich mix and it had no idea what was going on really - as I was following the Shearwater.

No computer is going to make your dive more fun. They can make your dive less fun, be difficult to use or hard to see. Those are the attributes that a sensible person ought to be looking at When choosing a computer. And the price…

A definite advantage of the Shearwaters is that the resale price holds up well due to the fan base.

Scuba Board users hate Suunto. This is a kind of anti-viral marketing thing. On the other hand they love Shearwater and Deep 6/previous brands from the same bloke due to 1) shearwater being nice computers, 2) proper viral marketing efforts, having SB users as dealers etc.

The hatred for Suunto comes for three claims 1) they are unreasonably conservative and you will have to get out of the water too soon 2) they will lock you out for minor “violations” 3) they use a proprietary algorithm and so you cannot use “open source” planning tools, write your own or match the computer exactly against another computer using an “open source” algorithm.

I believe this is an irrational and uninformed hatred based on received wisdom, group think and an obsession with NDL as a measure.

I own (and use) both Suunto (mostly a Helo2) and Shearwater (Perdix and a Petrel on a CCR). I dive with people with both Suunto and Shearwater computers. The odd person has an Aqualung or Mares. I have an Ocenic I lend out and I have been using an Apple Ultra with the Oceanic+ on recent dives to see how it behaves. I dive the Shearwater with a GF setting of 50/85 or 50/80 (depending on the seriousness of the dive). This is approximately the “medium” conservatism.

I dive in the U.K. in cold water and doing two dives a day with a decent surface interval. Occasionally I go abroad and do the four dives a day warm water thing or the two dives in the morning thing that seems typical of the warm water holiday diver. U.K. divers are generally trained for deco and so NDL is not always the limit to dive dive.

For fun (and to vaguely properly understand how it works) I coded up SB’s favourite deco algorithm (Bulhman GF, as seen in Shearwaters and now lots of computers - including as an option on Suunto’s top of the range Eon Steel).

I generally find that there is not a huge difference between the dives I can do, including no deco dives, between the Suunto and Shearwater. A significant difference can happen if I am forced into an unreasonably short surface interval by some unreasonable tropical diver operator. This is because the Suunto algorith has additional “knobs” which increase conservatism in a number of circumstances which might be regarded as bad diving practice. This, when compared to, for example Oceanic or a GF of something/95 (Ie Shearwater set to aggressive) means that a Suunto with have a shorter NDL on a second dive following a short SI (eg an hour).

For actual data points, on a recent OC deco dive (35 minutes at 36m on 27%) after 15 minutes of stops the HelO2 (on most aggressive setting) was clear, 5 minutes later the Apple Ultra (50.85) was clear and 2 minutes later the Shearwater (50/85) was clear.

So I don’t think Suunto is especially conservative Compared to what I am prepared to dive at least. I have dived with some proper experts too, and I don’t see them setting their Shearwaters more aggressively than I set mine.

Lockout is another favourite. To lock out a Suunto you have to stay above your ceiling for 3 minutes. This means you have to be in real deco (not a safety stop or a Pyle style deep stop) and go too shallow for quite a long time. The only way that happens is if people completely ignore their computer. There might be some corner case in a cave someone will contrive but really it never happens. I dive with lots of people, in a club, using Suunto’s and I have never seen one bent accidentally. I have bent a Zoop using it as a bottom timer on a trimix dive. I have bent the Oceanic+ App on the Apple Ultra not respecting it’s idea of a safety stop - that was no surprise as I was decoing on a rich mix and it had no idea what was going on really - as I was following the Shearwater.

No computer is going to make your dive more fun. They can make your dive less fun, be difficult to use or hard to see. Those are the attributes that a sensible person ought to be looking at When choosing a computer. And the price…

A definite advantage of the Shearwaters is that the resale price holds up well due to the fan base.

You missed a huge selling point for Shearwater and why so many of us own them and are on our 2nd or 3rd or in my case 4th and 5th. Rock solid customer service. I've heard story after story after story from fellow divers firsthand who have had the exact opposite from Suunto. I've heard Oceanic (Huish) offers solid support too. I have no clue about the quality of support from other brands (ratio, deep 6, etc).

Other selling points that you missed:
- drop dead simple AA user replaceable battery in the petrel/perdix
- rechargeable battery in the peregrine and teric (although the teric has had its well discussed issues here)
- frequent software upgrades offering new features over time
- no lockout for anything, period. The computer is a tool, not a nanny. It will certainly warn you of issues (ascent too fast, stop too shallow, depth too deep, NDL exceeded), but it won't penalize you for things it feels are so egregious you need to stop diving.
- amazing full color displays easily visible in all light conditions
- incredible durability. Some folks keep throwing around "when your shearwater fails" due to the battery and antennae issues the teric has had. While the teric issues are real and many have had theirs replaced under warranty (some many, many times), this is an isolated issue to one model. The petrel/perdix franchise is rock solid and holds its value like no other computer. The newer Peregrine appears to be as solid. I've been diving petrels/perdix/peregrine for over a decade with zero issues and many, many can report the same. And in the unlikely event issues arise, see the support comment above
- the piezo buttons on the petrel/perdix are works of art. Absolutely no salt water gets into/under the button and they are incredibly easy to use, even with thick dry gloves.
- clear, intuitive UI that is easy to learn and understand

I'll stop there. There are many of us that love our Shearwaters and have no plans to dive anything else (assuming the company stays as solid as it has been for over a decade), but quit making it sound like we're just fanbois who love them for no reason. That is disingenuous.

I’d like to lower mine on a line for a couple of hours, bring it straight up to the surface then try a repeat “dive” after a short period and see what it does.
You could probably get a pretty good idea just by looking at the tissue loading graph to see what kind of shape the various compartments are in.

I read all over the internet that SUUNTO sucks because
1. The straps on the D4i perish and break
2. The depth sensors are shyte and fail

It cant be real?
OMG
Do you trust a company whos response to this is "sucker!"
In the USA you could return the junk for a refund or something, anywhere else its buy a new strap for the D4i and throw the TWO puck style ones I have. (Zoop and older Gekko doing the same thing)
Waiting for the D4i to go the same way with its new strap.
The Mosquito seems to have hit the spot though, wonder when thats going tits up?

PS, the D5 seems to have fixed a lot of the issues, but the hurt is still there.

Attachments

• SUUNTO_OMG.jpeg
    SUUNTO_OMG.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 42
My family was a Suunto house, I thought the conservative nature and the slick look and simple operations were great for them.
But having two computers fail on the same trip has made me see the light.
You dont have to go Shearwater or Garmin to get a good dive computer, but you probably need to be very selective about Suunto.

Middle of the road to basic stuff like Oceanic, Mares even Cressi, will be better.
My opinion, thats all.
Strange the Mosquito just keeps on ticking.

I’d like to lower mine on a line for a couple of hours, bring it straight up to the surface then try a repeat “dive” after a short period and see what it does.
It is quite easy to put such profiles in the Subsurface planner. Tissue maps can be shown as well.

Please stop the bickering. I say this as a thread participant, not as a moderator. One of my fellow staff may take on the latter role.

There is a lot of valuable information here, and some other stuff.

Agreed. I got baited into a few posts I shouldn't have made. I should have just left it be. My apologies! I'm perfectly happy if a moderator wants to remove them.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep this thread on topic and avoid the bickering

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom