New diver going to Florida, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on where you're coming from. If you're used to cold water, you'll be fine with nothing. I did a dive to 100+' last week in just shorts. I think it got down to 82. That's considered cold to some Floridians, most everyone else, it's pretty hot. I had a shorty on for a shore dive not too long ago, and I was miserable sweating.

On another note, while you're here on Saturday, we're doing a meet and greet shore dive up in Dania:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...rida/246904-picnic-dive-dania-sat-8-16-a.html

I live in Florida and use a 3mm all of the time. I absolutely hate to be cold. Last Wednesday in West Palm it was 71 degrees at 85'. That's arctic for me!

I was told 3ml. but do I really need one?

Maybe yes, maybe no, but, for a hundred bucks its nicer to have one when you need it
than to not have one when you find out (underwater) that you need it. I've experienced 64 degree shallow water in Aug. at Pompano and was freezing in a 3mm.
If you find yourself feeligng too warm in a 3mm, you can just let some water in at thethe neck.

I dive in Ft lauderdale. Last week it was 84 degrees on the reef at 60fsw. My wife and I don't wear anything but our swimsuits until the temperature drops to about 78 degrees. That's doing 2 dives only per day. If your doing multiple dives you may need more protection. It's really not a bad idea to at least wear a skin or 1mm for added protection. This is really a personal choice because divers with 3mm may say they get cold so it's really something for you to determine from past experience.

A 5ml??? OMG I would throw up if I wore a 5ml down here. I should have prefaced my previous post that for me personally I HATE wearing wetsuits and only do so if conditions make it so.

Everyone...Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go 3mil and visit Miami more often :) I'm in NY and used 7mil for cert dives.

Thanks again

Everyone...Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go 3mil and visit Miami more often :) I'm in NY and used 7mil for cert dives.

Thanks again

You can, I think, use it in the St. Lawrence Seaway duting the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite. I'll see if I can convince my wife to make it an "all me"
weekend. :(

There'll be some non-divers there too. And of course, if she doesn't dive, she can snorkle above us. Maybe it'll even encourage her to get diving with you. :wink: It's a real nice reef we're heading to. Hope to see ya'll there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom