new diver, going to cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacob, congrats and good luck with wedding and diving. Here are my random thoughts based on experience.

1. I highly recommend going the "referral" route where you do the book stuff and confined water (swimming pool) locally and arrange with a Cozumel ("Coz") dive operator to handle your open water certification dives. This will likely be 4 or 5 dives over two mornings. You don't want to spend your time reading the books and doing the confined water skills there when you can do it at home.

1.5. If possible, I suggest that you not wait until you get to Coz to make arrangements for a dive operator for your certification dives.

2. The Cozumel Wyndham is located about 20 minutes sought of downtown San Carlos. It used to be the Reef Club. Cabs should be readily available. The downtown area is cute, safe & clean. Here's the link to a very recent SB thread on the Wyndham. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/315409-wyndham-cozumel.html

3. The Wyndham has its own dive operator, Sand Dollar Sports. (Sand Dollar Sports) I have never dived with Sand Dollar, nor have we stayed at the Wyndham. You might want to do a search on Sand Dollar in the Cozumel subsection of the Mexico travel area on this board. Here's one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/217297-anyone-use-sand-dollar-sports.html

4. The key is to get a really good instructor for your certification dives and I consider recommendations on Scuba Board to be generally golden. In fact, I chose instructors for both my wife and I (5 years apart) on Maui based on SB recommendations.

Good luck.

I am however, one of the lucky few who really likes my soon to be wife.

Jacob, the only piece of advice I can give you about marriage is to think twice before speaking and three times before writing. Re-read what you wrote above over and over agin until you "get my drift."

I speak from experience. I wanted to buy a few things and save a few bucks, so I bought some gear off a diver who was selling off some of his gear. I showed the stuff to my wife. She picked up a big orange Surface Marker Buoy and asked me what it was.

"Oh," I told her, "I settled for an Old Bag. It costs less and it's broken in!"

Man I'm happy I own a comfortable couch...

thinking before you speak is always a great idea, regardless of the situation...thats for sure. Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate everything. I know I still have a lot to learn about this hobby...im sure there will be a lot of reading involved, but luckily I now know where to go for questions. You guys are awesome, thanks again.

Jacob

You do realize what you're recommending to a person who's plan it is to get certified while they're down their, right? I personally would not recommend that a newly certified diver go out in conditions rough enough to close the port to boats under 40' and I doubt that any reputable shop would take them. I also wouldn't recommend diving the East side to a new diver. So, I'm not so sure how relevant the 40' boat requirement is.

then he needs to stay @ home & do 'other' things---(that's why I said 'good luck')

Hi jacrmill! I just got back from coz again a week ago. One young couple from Mexico City got engaged underwater, so cool. Seeing her accept the ring underwater brought tears, now how do you tell your eyes are leaking you ask, your mask fogs up. lol. Congrats on your new adventure.
I would like to tell you about Scubamaucozumel. Opal and Mau are the owners. They are located between where your staying and town. A five minute boat ride. Mau is the instructor and he is a blast to dive with. Everytime I see people receiving instructions they are always smiling. Last week one of our board members' daughter got her cert there, very proud dad was the result.
Anyway Scubamau is rated #2 on the island for the travel site Tripadvisor and highly favoured here also. Most dive ops on Coz are good. Opals crew will make you feel like you belong there. The safety and care is above the call. I will be back diving with them for the month of February. Whomever you use I wish your trip to be the best. Go to tripadvisor(Cozumel forums) and you can learn alot there also. O ya Coz island is incredibly safe. My wife is tiny and she feels safer there than here in Edmonton. Be well, kevin

then he needs to stay @ home & do 'other' things---(that's why I said 'good luck')
I can appreciate your "charge hard or stay home" attitude. But, I still believe the OP and his new bride would have a great time even if they were to miss a day or two of diving do to a Norte. There are other fun things to do on the island. Stroll downtown, go to beach on the east side, take the ferry to Playa, etc. And if those don't appeal to them, I'm sure two newlyweds can figure out a fun way to kill a day.:wink:

Last edited:
I just got back from Cancun 2 weeks ago and achieved my Scuba Diver cert. Wish I had 1 more day to complete my OW but timing did not work out.

If I had to do it over again, I'd consider doing the PADI coursework and tests online before I got there. Then you can spend your time down there actually in the water and working on skills. As it worked out for me, doing the coursework down there was not bad in fact the book gave me something to read on the beach between sessions. But you might have other plans for that time on your honeymoon, no? :D

Definitely spend an evening in Playa del Carmen. I'd recommend Carboncitos to eat.

Cozumel is completely safe. I work on cruise ships and spend a great deal of time in Cozumel (both diving and non-diving). I was certified in Cozumel by Dive Paradise. Jose was my instructor and I cannot say enough good things about him and the time and patience he had to help my girlfriend and I with the things we struggled with most. He made sure we had everything mastered. Go to La Choza and have their fajitas.

Off subject just a bit but I wanted to say thank you and all of your fellow ship mates. The Ecstasy was the most amazing cruise ship I have ever been on. You guys are amazing!

Also to the O.P. I used Sanddollar sports and have no complaints it was an awesome dive. WWW.Sanddollarsports.com

Off subject just a bit but I wanted to say thank you and all of your fellow ship mates. The Ecstasy was the most amazing cruise ship I have ever been on. You guys are amazing!

Also to the O.P. I used Sanddollar sports and have no complaints it was an awesome dive. Sand Dollar Sports. Cozumel, Mexico.

When did you go? After 14 months, I finally left. woohoo vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom