New Diver Gear Discussion And Wtb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafty

Registered
Reaction score
FIRST I AM REPOSTING THIS THREAD HERE AS I WAS INFORMED BY Sticky THAT ITS A HALF DISCUSSION THREAD AND HALF WTB THREAD AND IS BETTER IN A DISCUSSUION FORUM.

Hello All,

I am a new diver that is trying to put my gear together so I can jump in the water.

Also I am interested in getting my DIR-F so the gear needs to be compatible with that diving approach. I Have all my training materials just want to do a few dives and practice the stuff.

I have almost everything, somethings as a new diver I needed to go to a shop and really get the advice of more experienced people try things on etc. I am also on a Budget so I will try to get the rest used. As its breaking me and my wife keeps looking at me and then the kitchen knives then me and then the kitchen knives. So I want to save some money and just get what I need to jump in the water. Ill be spending my first 20-30 dives or so in less than 20 feet practicing things like bouyancy and other stuff.

Here is what I think I need.

I also live in the San Fran Bay Area so if you are local great.

1. Steel Tank, I want a steel tank so that I need less weight on my hips. I have however no idea of what type of steel tank to get so any advice there is welcome.

2. Wrist mount Compass and Compass holder

3. Wrist or arm mount depth guage, analog or digital.

4. Bottom Timer

All these items really boil down to price, I have many dives to do in like 20 feet of water just practicing crap, so after I feel more confident Ill probably upgrate the Compass and depth guage into some fancy digital thing.

5. Oh yeah a Diving Knife (has to be able to attach to the belt on my halcyon BC)

6. A wheel line

7. A orange marker that sticks up, like a long tube.

8. A streach cord for holding my secondary.

I have my fins (scubapro jet),boots (pinnicleaquatic),wetsuite xcel polar titanium) ,BC (halcyon eclipse 30),primary (aqualung legen),secondaryaqualung legend),preasure guage (healcyon), mask (mares),snorkle (mares),hood (attached to suit)

Thanks for the time, if I forgot anything let me know.

You got more equipment than you need in your first 20 dives and more the equipment, more is the task loading. I can only think of a dive slate and torch is all you are missing. About scuba tanks try worthington (Steel tanks need more maintenance). The capacity depends upon what kind of diving you want to do in future. About having more equipment on your wrist is daunting at first so I would have preffered a neat console to hold your compass, SPG and and depth gauge or a dive computer instead of SPG and Depth gauge. Something like suunto cobra. You really don't need a SMB at this stage. Another principle if DIR is to keep things as simple as possible and your trim in water .
About prices package deals are always cheapest. Try out your local dive shop for prices as they vary place to place.
Suunto SK7 is a great wrist mount compass - 80 US
Worthington 85 cuf low pressure- 200 US
Citizen aqualand promaster dive watch -279 US ( depth gauge, bottom timer, dive log etc)
Dive knife - Titanium deluxe bc knife US 40

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Could you be a little more clear on what you're asking?

As you probably already know, a console like Andy suggested won't cut it for DIRF.

If you are looking for some suggestions on what gear to get and how to do that cheaply, then here are a few suggestions.

Talk to your DIRF instructor.
Watch the gear classifieds here and on TDS for some great deals.
I don't much care for Ebay but some folks around here have had good luck there.

Something like a used Vyper might be a good idea.
You might want to think about renting a tank for a while. Also, the price of your DIRF MIGHT include tanks and weights.
Make your own knife... there are plenty of threads in the DIR forum that describe how to do that. It can be done in less than five minutes for about 5 bucks although you might have to buy a sheath... the typical DIR knife sheath is made from weight belt webbing and can be a little tough to sew on your own.
"6. A wheel line" I suppose you mean a spool. There are several places to get these on line for a great price. I'll have to look... or maybe someone will post a good link.
"7. A orange marker that sticks up, like a long tube" The cheap ones that most shops carry would probably would work for now but talk to your DIRF instructor to find out what you need.
"8. A streach cord for holding my secondary." Most of us use 3/16" bungee chord. There are several places to get the stuff including West Marine and Reefscuba.com When you do your DIRF they will show you several different ways to set that up or you can look in the DIR forum... lots of threads there on how to do it.

You'll want to get some springstraps for your jets. Try here...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=135265

You'll also need some lights... talk to your DIRF instructor to find out just what he/she will require. That can get sorta expensive and you may not have to have those right now.

You'll probably need a weight belt. You might also need some of the 'trickier' solutions for distributing your weight but that's a opening a can of worms... too early in the morning to go there!

You'll need an assortment of SS attachment hardware.

You didn't mention gloves!

Leave your snorkle at home or Ebay it!

Excerpting...
I have almost everything, somethings as a new diver I needed to go to a shop and really get the advice of more experienced people try things on etc. I am also on a Budget so I will try to get the rest used.
The dive shops are in business to serve customers. It wouldn't be too cool to hang out at one to learn to avoid being one.:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom