new diver buying all my gear this weekend, need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmudiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and will be purchasing my first set of gear this weekend. and despite trying to research every thing I cant seem to figure out what is the best gear to buy. My main confusion is about the regulator.

I have looked at:
ScubaPro's Mk25/s600
Hollis Gear's 212/DC3
Atomic T2x

I will be doing mostly recreational diving in addition I am taking college courses that will have me doing under water research this summer in the Bahamas.

I am not too much worried about cost, I want something quality that will last, and that as my skills progress and I start doing more I don't have to buy something new.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

also if you have any suggestions for my BC and diver computer feel free to toss those out as well!!

If I can suggest one thing. Get a din 1st stage with a yoke adapter. Easy way to use both tanks. Keith

Oceanic Delta 4.1 Reg
Octo of your choice (or Air 2 type)
Dive Rite Transpac
Dive Rite Venture Wing
Dive Gear Rite Source vs Octo
Myflex on the 2nd
Oceanic Dive Pro II Deluxe AI
Dive Gear Express X7 HP 100 tank
Seavision Red filter Mask
Fins back strap vs shoe
Wetsuit? Henderson/Pinnacle/Bear in that order

Pleanty of other sites and LDS's to use for this set-up or similar

Slow down and make sure you get what fits your needs and budget.

My single most favorite piece of dive gear is my Oceanic VT-Pro wrist mounted air integrated dive computer. Everything I need right there on my wrist. It made diving go from fun, to REALLY fun.

And it hasn't failed me yet on over 150 dives.

A close second is my BC mounted octopus regulator.

Between those two pieces of gear I'm down to two hoses for a very streamlined rig.

Atomic makes good regulators, but if budget is an issue at all you may want to consider whether they are worth the premium they command. The T2x is loaded with titanium that boosts the price (and limits the 02 content they recommend). I'd consider the M1 instead--great performance, environmentally sealed, recommended for higher 02 mixes, 2-year/ 300-dive service recommendation, and a lot cheaper. There are 2 new ones offered at $525 apiece right now on the Scubaboard marketplace. I'd buy them myself if I didn't already have two.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/311431-atomic-m1s-new-box.html

whats your reasons behind your reg choice?

Excessive disposable income, based on the inclusion of the Atomic T2x in the consideration set...

:shocked2:

Go with the Scubapro, no one out there can come close to their warranty, plus diving in salt water the six hundred being plastic will stand up to the salt water. The Mk25 first stage has large ambient ports to rinse the unit better. If you are thinking cold water as well then you might look at the G250V with the MK17 FIRST STAGE. bc's look at the Scubapro Glide Pro with its multiple adjustments you can have it fit anything from a 3mm to a drysuit. computers sherwoods wisdom 2 is a great unit and has a user friendly manual, scubapro also has a few good one's

Mine? Read the reviews, Navy Divers and the USN can't be wrong in picking this as their reg of choice and it has an environmentally sealed 1st stage which Scubapro does not. In the same group of top regs for 2009 by Scuba Lab. I'll trust Seals anyday............of course they use rebreathers too

Warranties on any reg?.........send it off to Scubatoys for $49.95 and a week turn around each year. Read their service for regs.

You won't ever be disapointed with the ScubaPro MK 25! I love mine and everyone I asked pointed me to that reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom