New diver - appreciate the info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acanthurus

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Prince George,almost the middle of B.C., Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello folks,

I recently certified and have not had the opportunity to dive since...will be getting into some of our local lakes soon though. My husband and I are going to Australia in November so need to get some practice.

I appreciate all the advice and info on the board,especially buoyancy advice as well as anxiety/panic episodes. PLease keep it coming!!

Thanks,
M

As a new diver, panic episode is normal. Just have to calm your self in the panic situation. Try to dive in shallow water in your 1st dive to get use to it. That's my 1 Rp advice. Have a good vacation

Hello folks,

I recently certified and have not had the opportunity to dive since...
Conguratulation on your new certificate and welcome on board in the diving world.

will be getting into some of our local lakes soon though. My husband and I are going to Australia in November so need to get some practice.
Australia has good dive sites as I heared especially the greate bariar ! but I never been there so I dont know :)

I appreciate all the advice and info on the board,especially buoyancy advice as well as anxiety/panic episodes. PLease keep it coming!!

Thanks,
M
With regards to buoyancy it is not a big deal...just get nautural buoyancy under the water as what you have done in your training in your OW training (hovering) and then you will be fine..you might need to release some air from your BCD when your tanks presure are getting lower and lower as result of breathing (are almost empty) to conponseate for the boyancy of your tank at the end of the dive (remember the tanks become boyant at the end of the dive)

With regards to anxiety/panic see this is number one enemy for any activity not only diving..once you get panic you will end up in a mess and even in problems !!! You will leanr more about this if you curry on to more advance courses later :)
Always remember that you have done the training and you got certified..and diving will not require more than what you have learned so there is no reason to panic...be calm and cool and imagine it as a tour not as a dive..enjoy your self and forget about panic...always relax and enjoy your dive..this way you will forget even that you are under water..but hey dont forget to check your air very often :) and do your safety stop before you surface !
beleive me this is natural feeling..but once you are in the water ..you will relax :)

Good luck

welcome aboard

If you can take the AOW class before your trip you'll learn a lot about buoyancy control. That was the #1 benefit my wife and I both received from the class. We only had five post-OW dives when we took AOW, but we could have easily taken it immediately following OW.

Sure, during the AOW class we did five intro dives to five different specialties, including peak buoyancy, but the instructor focused on buoyancy on each of the five dives. By the time that weekend was over our buoyancy control improved dramatically.

Anxiety/panic? Anxiety comes first. Then panic. How well you're mentally prepared will determine the progression between the two.

If the anxiety is caused by rapid breathing and CO2 buildup, you have to calm your breathing to reduce the CO2. CO2 causes you to feel anxious and to breathe faster. Don't; it just makes the anxiety worse. Breathe slowly and deeply from the diaphragm (belly should poke out when you inhale). You should feel very relaxed during a dive. Try it while you're reading this. Think calming thoughts, breathe deeply and slowly from the diaphragm, pausing briefly between each breath, and feel how relaxed you get. The same thing works underwater.

My wife and I watch each other's bubbles when we dive. If we see the other person breathing shallow and rapidly, we get the other's attention and give them a "relax" signal. Hold your hands out in front of you like you're praying, then slowly push them down and out, like you're running your palms over a table top. That's our signal to relax. I've even seen my wife do it on the dive boat with her eyes closed just to help herself relax.

If the anxiety is caused by just being underwater in a foreign environment, my suggestion, born from years of instructing pilots, is to visualize EVERYTHING in advance. There are so many parallels between diving and flying it is amazing.

Make a list of the parts of a dive profile when you feel the most anxiety. Then dive that profile in your mind. Find someplace quiet, relax, close your eyes, and visualize the entire dive. If need be, start with suiting up and and mentally work your way through an entire dive. Visualize everything in your mind until it becomes as familiar as being there and doing the dive. Feel the water, hear the bubbles, feel the regulator in your mouth.

When you get to the part of the profile that gives you anxiety problems, feel the anxiety, then solve the problem in your mind. Figure out what is causing the problem then find a solution to quiet the feelings, replacing them with calm. Maybe it is your breathing, a leaky mask, poor buoyancy control, gauge surprises, fatigue, muscle cramp, bad visibility, big fish, disorientation, loss of buddy, mismatched buddy, whatever. Visualize whatever is causing the anxiety, take control of it, resolve the issue, relax, then continue the dive in your mind. Repeat the anxiety profile and its solution as often as necessary until it doesn't bother you.

And no matter what............have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom