New Diver and Pneumonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a new diver. My doctor tells me I have a double ear infection, sinus infection, bronchitis, and the beginning stages of pneumonia. He has prescribed a Z-pack, as well as I am taking Q-Var, abuterol, 5 Loxin, Singulair, Mucinex, and Delsym - way more drugs than I'd like to be taking, but I feel pretty good except for just really tired. I'm also being really good about using my neti pot to rinse out my nose. I had something similar last spring, but started diving again 10 days after I started the antibiotic because I felt really good and wanted to get back in the water. This was a big mistake as I ended up with worse symptoms than I had in the first place and seemed to have to be on antibiotics forever at that.

Here is my question, is there any kind of standard of how long you should stay out of the water if you have upper respiratory issues? Obviously, the "stay out until you feel better" didn't work for me last time. My doctor is not dive savvy, so he didn't know. Does anyone have any advice? I'm ready to get back in the water, like now! Thanks!

I'm not a doctor, but here's my personal guideline based on experience. For almost anything serious, like infections for which I take antibiotics or a serious muscle or joint injury, I wait 2 weeks after being off meds and clear of symptoms, before doing anything likely to aggravate the original condition. This gives whatever it was a chance to rebound if it's going to. I find this a generous margin, and might pinch it from time to time. I've never experienced rebounds after that interval.

This doesn't apply to minor things like colds and stomach viruses, which are generally mild and for which meds, if any were only for short term symptom relief. After these, my rule is, if I feel OK I go.

As I said, I'm not a doc, but I've managed to keep my out-of-warrantee body going pretty well that way.

There are no hard and fast guidelines, because each case and each person is different.

I'd certainly wait until your exercise tolerance and stamina are back to what seems normal, and I'd stress myself first on the surface, before trying it underwater.

Anne, if you are coughing and wheezing before we even get to the water - I won't let you get in. Your hubby would be peeved if something bad happened. :no

I on the other hand tend to feel I am fit to dive if I am not hemoraging (much) and am able to ambulate to the water's edge and/or fall off the boat.

Oh...and welcome to Scubaboard!

I on the other hand tend to feel I am fit to dive if I am not hemoraging (much) and am able to ambulate to the water's edge and/or fall off the boat.

Oh, we are kindred spirits! I can't tell you how many times I've done things I've told other people not to do!

Hey Fly Girl,

There is no hard and fast rules for how long to stay out of the water other than you should be off all meds taken for your condition, your original signs and symptoms should have resolved, you should feel well and your exercise endurance should be normal.

Your MD can check your ears again to look for infection. There should be no obvious nasal discharge and any mucous should be clear. Breath sounds should be clear. If there is any question, a pulmonary function test can be done to evaluate your lungs.

Out of curiosity, are you asthmatic? Could you possibly be an undiagnosed asthmatic? Some of the medicines you are taking are typically prescribed for the treatment of asthma. Asthmatics may have repeated bouts of respiratory infections and, although guidelines have changed over the years, some should avoid scuba diving.

Consult a pulmonologist if your problem recurs.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS

Tired fingers...for two years. Just got back from Alaska.

Larry

Thanks, Dr. Stein. Yes, I have mild asthma. It never really bothers me except when I get sick. I consulted my doctor before I started diving, and he gave me the okay. Once again, he is not dive savvy, but he did say that my asthma was very mild. I generally get this twice a year - once in the winter and once in the early fall when hay fever starts. The problem I had last winter is I think I started diving too soon after the ear infection, so I really messed up my ears. I'll wait a bit longer this time. Thanks again to all!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom