Inner ear injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I apologize for not being a diver but I was hoping that anyone would be able to provide insight about what I might be experiencing.
About 10 months ago, I was using a neti pot and felt a burst of water come out of my ears. It was followed by Tinnitus and a high sensitivity/painful response to sounds.
Months later I still feel like there's some kind of leaking in the ear or maybe a slight itch. I am currently housebound due to pain experienced from sounds in the outside world.
I've visited an ENT who didn't see any sign of infection or damage to outer ear but was otherwise unhelpful. I am wondering if it could have been some kind of pressure damage to the inner ear and thought to ask here.
Any insight would be very helpful. I'm mostly looking for any explanation about what might have happened and where to go from here.

What is a "neti pot"?

Something a lay peson has no business attempting to use

I apologize for not being a diver but I was hoping that anyone would be able to provide insight about what I might be experiencing.
About 10 months ago, I was using a neti pot and felt a burst of water come out of my ears. It was followed by Tinnitus and a high sensitivity/painful response to sounds.
Months later I still feel like there's some kind of leaking in the ear or maybe a slight itch. I am currently housebound due to pain experienced from sounds in the outside world.
I've visited an ENT who didn't see any sign of infection or damage to outer ear but was otherwise unhelpful. I am wondering if it could have been some kind of pressure damage to the inner ear and thought to ask here.
Any insight would be very helpful. I'm mostly looking for any explanation about what might have happened and where to go from here.
@Magicaddict there's no apology necessary. I'm sorry this happened. From the description it sounds like you did something as you were rinsing your sinuses to cause the saline to forcefully enter your middle ears through the Eustachian tubes, perhaps an involuntary swallow or Valsalva maneuver. If the saline actually came out of your ears, you either ruptured your eardrums or you had some sort of pre-existing fistula (tear) in both of them. I'd bet on the rupture. An ENT who looked into your ears even a week later may not see anything as the fistula would likely have healed, and looking into the external ear canal doesn't reveal anything that might be going on with the vestibular apparatus, which is the delicate organ in the inner ear responsible for hearing and balance. Again going by your description, you may have traumatized that organ. I would recommend you get a second opinion and ask specifically about inner ear barotrauma and possible nerve damage - lingering hyperacusis like you're desribing is concerning. Unfortunately I don't know of any ENT in your area who might be familiar with pressure injuries. You might consider calling the Divers Alert Network at (919) 684-9111 and asking for a recommendation.

Just so it's asked, what type of water were you using?

Best regards,
DDM

What is a "neti pot"?
It's like a cross between a small teapot and a watering can that some people use to rinse their sinuses. Most of them come with packets of salt and instructions on how to mix it with water to make an isotonic solution that won't irritate the sinuses. It's not a terribly pleasant experience but it can soothe irritated mucous membranes. Problems arise when people overuse them, which reduces the protective effect of mucus; use tap water instead of boiled or distilled water, which can (rarely, but with typically fatal consequences) result in Naeglaria infection; or, as in the OP's case, cause ear problems as hydraulic pressure tends to be less forgiving than air pressure.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom