New Diver - Advice on Purchasing Zeagle Express Tech BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie,
Congratulations! I hope this opens up a whole new world for you to explore and enjoy with your friends... I know the temptation to run up the credit card is great but I would ask that you wait a little longer... dive the Breakwater a couple more times and walk the wall and lawn during your surface interval and you'll see a whole catalog of different gear/configurations. When you see a rig that catches your eye, just ask the person what he likes about it, what he doesn't like and if he would buy it again. Divers will tell you in a heart beat about how they love or hate a piece of gear. Then if you still like that BC then go for it.
The guys gave some sound pieces of advice in the previous posts... I also like DSS :wink:

Congrats again and see you around the Breakwater.

Thanks to all for the advice! I'll let you know what I end up doing over the next few months...

Hope to see you!

small comment from a rookie diver (yeah I still think I know nothing about diving after 60+ dives) who was in the same shoes couple years ago ...

I was looking at this video Scuba.com Video: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator (BC) Video Review - Buoyancy Compensators and I would not like to put this together. If you are a diver who goes every weekend then you know your BC inch by inch, if you dive a bit less then this BC can be like a puzzle. It's very light and probably great for traveling, I would not buy it for Monterey diving.

If you plan to buy it in a store, then do a research. Some stores are great for air refill, but their BCs sit in the shelf for years. I don't want to name one store which tried to sell me 11 years "new" regulator which was btw on recall.

That isn't anything unique to the Zeagle though. You will more than likely see that with any back plate and wing system. Harness, fitting, configurations, etc. I'd think the dive shop would do the initial setup and then show how it was done to the buyer. I know that is what they have done here at our local shop with their dive rite stuff.

I see the ad on scuba .com says the whole thing weighs less than 5 lbs. which would be great if you plan to travel with it. But not so great for our local conditions.
Why you ask? remember how much ballast you used for your last dive? 30 lbs you said. guess what your still going to need 30 lbs. so now you have to distribute it somehow. weight belt, weight pockets in any combination you choose.

Now lets say you purchase a SS backplate. that itself weighs 6 lbs. bringing your weightbelt requirement down to 24 lbs.
then as you become more comfortable in the water you may find you can drop more from your belt because your breathing becomes more natural.

So the answer to your question lies in what you plan to do local diving or traveling.

Hi Katie,

I'm so glad you fell in love with diving! Another gal on board to balance the genders is definitely a welcome sight :)! I also started out in a BC (a SP Ladyhawk), and quickly swapped to a BP/W. I see absolutely no reason not to just start out with the BP/W, which in many ways makes diving easier.

I just skimmed the previous posts. Sorry if I am repeating advice.

The bp/w has less buoyancy properties so less weight is needed. Also it has less bulk, so propulsion is easier & if you set it up right there is far less clutter. Another wonderful bonus is that it has the potential to position you quite nicely in the water for more streamline diving. A bp/w also offers several options to distribute some of the weight off of your weight belt and onto the rig -- which makes diving quite a bit more comfortable. Don't be put off by a harness without padding, rest assure it is very comfortable to dive :). Yes a bp/w is a fine tuned piece of technical diving equipment, but it is also excellent for recreational diving. At the risk of sounding like a snob: If a Ferrari is the same cost as a Toyota, why not?

Actually, thinking back -- there are many training & equipment choices I wish I made as a beginner that would have saved lots of time, effort & money. Most of the equipment I purchased in the beginning was sold for a 50% loss and upgraded within the year. You are quite wise to shop around and ask for advice from the locals here on sb ;-). As others have already said, the bp/w system will not limit your potential in the future.

I think most people around here use a 30lb wing for single tank cold water diving. Now I'm diving doubles and using a 40lb wing, so I just happen to have a 30lb DSS bp/w in the garage collecting dust. It's a small plate - if we wear similar sizes you are welcome to sample. Please PM me if you are interested. Perhaps I could meet up with you and Neil sometime soon and make it happen ;-).

There are several brands/models that are popular for the bp/w system. Many, many threads on Scubaboard sing the merrits of the bp/w system & recommend favorite “bp/w’s”. Some popular brands/wing models are Halcyon, DSS and the Oxycheq Mach V.

Last edited:
Hi All,

So I have some news...

I went by the shop to see my instructor yesterday and he made me an offer, I couldn't refuse...

a never-before-used Scuba Pro Ladyhawk BCD at a price that means I will break even on the cost after what would be the fee for 8 rentals

Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity.

Thank you for all the advice. I truly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll keep reading and researching - but at least for now, I can dive more than I would otherwise be able to afford.

Back
Top Bottom