New Divemaster air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few things...
While diving think "sleepy "
It helps slow down your body...

For Drift diving this is good practice...
Try not to move your legs,, (pretend your legs don't work)
Knees somewhat bent and just use your ankles for slight adjustments....

If you watch newer divers its unbelievable the amount of leg action going on....

Re: my earlier suggestion, here's the relevant math:

Start by dividing your PSI used by number of minutes. For example, if you started with 3,000 PSI and ended with 2,000, that means you used 1,000 PSI. And let's say it took you 40 minutes to breathe that much, so that's 25 PSI/minute.

If you were sitting on the couch, that's your SAC rate. If you were underwater when you breathed that 1,000 PSI in 40 minutes, you have to adjust for the depth first. Calculate absolute pressure by dividing your average depth in feet during the dive by 33 and then adding 1. (As you probably remember, every 33 feet equals one atmosphere, plus there's the real atmosphere up there.) Some computers will display your average depth; if yours doesn't, and you can't borrow one that does, see if you can download your dives to a program like Subsurface, which will calculate it for you. You could also just do a square profile dive over a flat bottom to make the average depth easier to estimate. So if your average depth was 20 feet, divide 20 by 33 and add 1 to get 1.6. Then divide your 25 PSI/min by your 1.6 absolute pressure to get a SAC of about 15.6 PSI/min.

If you used the same tank for your couch SAC measurement and your dive, you can just divide the latter by the former to get your dive factor. Let's say you had an underwater SAC rate of 30 PSI/minute, and only 15 on the couch; that gives you a dive factor of 2, and tells you that you have some room to work on your technique. But if your in-water SAC rate was 30 and your couch SAC rate was 20, your dive factor is 1.5, which is pretty good. That would mean you're just a big guy who's always going to be a bit of an air hog, so you should plan accordingly with larger tanks.

If you couldn't manage to get the same size tank for comparison, or if you want a better idea of how you stack up to others, or if you're just having so much fun with all this math, you can go one step farther and calculate your RMV. First look up or calculate the tank factor for each tank you used. Divide the rated volume of the tank by the rated pressure, e.g. for a standard AL-80, 80 ÷ 3,000 = .0267. Multiply that by your SAC rate. So if your SAC rate was 30, that works out to .8 cubic feet per minute. Most guys will be somewhere in the neighborhood of .7 cf/min, at least until they get a lot of practice. Bigger guys will breathe more, and everyone breathes more in colder water or when swimming against a current. Pro tip: don't try to compete with your lady dive buddies on this; you'll only drive yourself crazy.

As to your question about how long it'll take to improve, it really depends. But I can tell you that, during my first 50 dives, my RMV averaged around .7; by the time I got to 100, I was down around .65, and by 150 I was down to a little over .5.

Work out your SAC rate for a dive. For example go for a dive and spend 5 mins at one level noting your gas pressure before and after.

Novice divers consume a lot of gas for many reasons which should massively improve as your skills improve. Reasons include:
  • Poor core skills; trim, finning buoyancy.
  • Poor trim, not being flat when finning because of inadequate buoyancy control
  • Inefficient finning techniques wasting energy
  • Not breathing properly
  • Overweighting
  • Equipment not streamlined
  • Nervousness
  • Rushing around exerting oneself
You’ve a lifetime of diving ahead of you. Spend some time investing in your future by sorting out your core skills and getting some experience. You need hundreds of hours of diving with some good mentoring and practice to become good enough to teach.

Find someone who is excellent in the water. Someone who can hover motionless and who looks completely at home in the water. Then get them to mentor you. Being good takes time and lots of practice. You get out of diving what you put in.

A few things...
While diving think "sleepy "
It helps slow down your body...

For Drift diving this is good practice...
Try not to move your legs,, (pretend your legs don't work)
Knees somewhat bent and just use your ankles for slight adjustments....

If you watch newer divers its unbelievable the amount of leg action going on....

Sometimes I just cross my legs and drift in the currents or just hover in no current water. Sometimes I close my eyes and see if I can maintain depth with my eyes closed. I've been accused of taking naps on my dives lol

JIM FAT MAN DIVING.jpg

Just curious abo the thread title. Assume you meant to say "New diver air consumption"?

Just curious abo the thread title. Assume you meant to say "New diver air consumption"?
He said he is currently taking the DM class, so...

Ok, before this becomes an argument, yes, I understand I’m a new diver, especially compared to all of you. That’s why I posted a question. I’m beginning the DM course with only 47 dives under my belt, but I’m not doing this for ego. I left my stressful job and moved to Florida. As a turn of fate I discovered scuba and am obsessed. But have no dive buddies, it costs me $150-200 to get a dive in, and I’ve spent thousands on classes and equipment. The local dive shop has offered me the job of running a 30 ft shore dive (close to EMS, no current) when I finish DM because they like me and think my skills are good. I agree instructor should wait, but this will give me the ability to dive free, make a little income at the same time. Sorry if you disagree, but it’s the best opportunity I’ve had in my life. I love people and love seeing the face on new divers, or after a new site. Just wanted some advice.

Ok, before this becomes an argument, yes, I understand I’m a new diver, especially compared to all of you. That’s why I posted a question. I’m beginning the DM course with only 47 dives under my belt, but I’m not doing this for ego. I left my stressful job and moved to Florida. As a turn of fate I discovered scuba and am obsessed. But have no dive buddies, it costs me $150-200 to get a dive in, and I’ve spent thousands on classes and equipment. The local dive shop has offered me the job of running a 30 ft shore dive (close to EMS, no current) when I finish DM because they like me and think my skills are good. I agree instructor should wait, but this will give me the ability to dive free, make a little income at the same time. Sorry if you disagree, but it’s the best opportunity I’ve had in my life. I love people and love seeing the face on new divers, or after a new site. Just wanted some advice.
150-200 per dive? Are you hiring a guide every time you go down? $60 ish for a full kit and $10 for the second tank... maybe do self reliant/solo cert so you can get more time below without the restraints of terrible and expensive buddies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom