New Divemaster air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orenda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I started diving less than a year ago, but I immediately fell in love with it and went all in. I’ve started my divemaster course and intend to do the IDC after 6 months as a divemaster. I’m confident and comfortable with my skills, except air consumption. I’m 6’2” 240 lbs so I suck a lot of air. 20-30 ft I average an hour but at 50 ft it’s more like 35-40 mins (with 3 min SS and coming up with 5-6 bar). Will I encounter problems as a DM? Ive never been the diver that required the group to turn around because of low air, but worried I’ll lead a dive and have to turn before a paying customer needs to. Is there anything I can do to decrease my air consumption?

Have you tried sitting on the couch while you breathe from your tank, timing yourself and measuring your air consumption to get your resting SAC rate? If not, give it a shot, and then compare it against your SAC rate during a dive, adjusted for your average depth. If you're breathing more than twice as much underwater, there's room for improvement, and you may want to work on your buoyancy, trim, and finning technique. If you're only breathing about 1.5 times as much underwater, then it's probably not going to get much better, and you should consider a bigger tank.

Have you tried sitting on the couch while you breathe from your tank, timing yourself and measuring your air consumption to get your resting SAC rate? If not, give it a shot, and then compare it against your SAC rate during a dive, adjusted for your average depth. If you're breathing more than twice as much underwater, there's room for improvement, and you may want to work on your buoyancy, trim, and finning technique. If you're only breathing about 1.5 times as much underwater, then it's probably not going to get much better, and you should consider a bigger tank.
Thank you. I will try that and see.

I'm 6'1 and weigh 300 pounds. I shock people with my air consumption. I would do a 90 minute dive at 50 feet and still have 50 bar / 750 psi on an AL 80 at end of dive.

You can also learn some yoga breathing exercises. " you may want to work on your buoyancy, trim, and finning technique."
This pretty important. I have found new DM's who seem to want to get from a to b as fast as possible which is the wrong thing to do. I go as slow as possible so I will see more tiny critters that hide when large bodies come by. Being motionless is better.
You only list less than 24 dives but I assume it must be more as you need more to start a DM course That is really not going to help. When on a 2 week vacation I do around 40 dives and take several vacations a year. There are breathing techniques that can really help with your gas consumption.

So get in more diving. Can you be motionless in a water column and control your buoyancy with your lungs?

I wouldn't be thinking that far ahead. In general, people with big physiques tend to use more air. In time your air consumption will improve.

In general I would say that is true of average vacation divers who are large. However I know several large divers who are working DM's and instructors who are very good on air. They are like that due to a lot of diving experience and good diving techniques.
IF the OP is only doing 40 minute dives at 50 feet what is a 100 foot dive going to be like? OP really needs to get in regular diving and lots of dives and then can improve gas consumption. Perhaps GUE fundies would help with diving techniques.

I started diving less than a year ago, but I immediately fell in love with it and went all in. I’ve started my divemaster course and intend to do the IDC after 6 months as a divemaster. I’m confident and comfortable with my skills, except air consumption. I’m 6’2” 240 lbs so I suck a lot of air. 20-30 ft I average an hour but at 50 ft it’s more like 35-40 mins (with 3 min SS and coming up with 5-6 bar). Will I encounter problems as a DM? Ive never been the diver that required the group to turn around because of low air, but worried I’ll lead a dive and have to turn before a paying customer needs to. Is there anything I can do to decrease my air consumption?
What's the rush? Enjoy the journey; don't focus on the destination. It's great that you have a passion for diving but there's so much to explore and experience before becoming a DM/instructor. Don't get caught in the ego trap.

Your goal right now should be getting completely comfortable underwater to the point where your breathing at 60' is like sitting on the couch. Physical fitness helps but for the most part air consumption is a function of comfort rather than size or cardiovascular condition. Remember, as a DM you not only have to account for your own gas but you need an ample reserve to assist another diver you are responsible for, if necessary.

Thank you everyone. All good responses. I know my consumption will go down the more I dive/become more and more comfortable and conscious, when I started I was maxing 30-40 mins at 30 feet lol. Guess I’m wondering how much longer I will be able to dive after more experience, and if there are other DMs here that have the same problem.

Thank you everyone. All good responses. I know my consumption will go down the more I dive/become more and more comfortable and conscious, when I started I was maxing 30-40 mins at 30 feet lol. Guess I’m wondering how much longer I will be able to dive after more experience, and if there are other DMs here that have the same problem.

I'd say if you are struggling with air then that is because you perhaps have other issues like buoyancy or trim control. Perhaps also chasing everything in the water lol Are you really relaxed on dives or overthinking? My I am so relaxed people think I have gone into a trance and on occasion I had had people rush up and grab me when I am being motionless with no bubble trail thinking unresponsive diver.

Back
Top Bottom