New Cruise Pier Approved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I freaked when I read "northwest coast of the island" But it's going to be by the other piers in what I call heading south.

From Riviera Maya News:
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) has approved the construction of the fourth cruise ship dock in Cozumel, despite opposition from residents and environmentalists.

The dock is one of the 39 projects that make up the Agreement for Economic Reactivation that President Andrés Manuel López Obrador signed at the beginning of October last year.

According to the Environmental Impact Statement, the project will involve an investment of 511 million pesos. The pier will be located on the northwest coast of the island of Cozumel, both in the land area along Rafael E. Melgar Avenue, and in the marine area of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone (Zofemat).

The structure will be L-shaped and will cover an area of 1.16 hectares that will allow the docking of vessels up to 362 meters in length. It will be built on steel piles and precast concrete slabs in accordance with the Environmental Impact Statement.

cozumel-dock-4.jpg

Can anyone confirm what I heard last week in Coz is that the cruise ships dump their grey water right before or within a few miles of docking in Cozumel.

I doubt there was much input from local people concerning this. Fonatur and the federal government out of Mexico City are pushing it. Last month ALMO decreed that his large scale projects are a matter of ‘National security’ and suspended review of the projects
Yesterday the Supreme Court pushed back on the decree but left most of it intact

Can anyone confirm what I heard last week in Coz is that the cruise ships dump their grey water right before or within a few miles of docking in Cozumel.

I think it would be hard for anyone to confirm that unless you could get someone operating the ship to say it. If you were to fall off a ship North of Cozumel (the way most of them come and go), you would not float past Plancar Gardens - the current runs South to North. I would have to say that water quality here is more effected by what we do on the island and what happens South of us.

I'm not sure which cruise line it was or if there was more than one but there has been large fines for mishandling of waste on the ships - and I think it has been multiple fines.

In seeing how things happen here - the lack of planning or long term thinking - I have to wonder how Cancun hotel zone ever became a reality. I see nothing but pet projects in partial phases everywhere. You could spend the next 20 years completing things here without ever touching virgin land.

On the one hand I am glad to see that there is resistance to the project. On the other I have seen this kind of thing many times and rarely has it ever accomplished anything.

The cruise ship providers are greedy as they come, I can't stand them. The island was much better off in the 90s when they only accommodated 3 boats and they docked overnight.

:ijs:

The cruise ship providers are greedy as they come, I can't stand them. The island was much better off in the 90s when they only accommodated 3 boats and they docked overnight.

:ijs:
I liked it even better in the 80's when they didn't come at all.

Back
Top Bottom