New Computer vs old computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljudish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Let me start out by saying thank you to everyone that posts on here. I've been reading a lot of these forums and they have been very informative. But I wasn't seeing an answer to a question I have.

I've seen a lot of discussions about new gear vs old gear. but haven't seen any about new vs old computers. I'm relatively new to diving, and am looking at getting my own gear. My LDS has a lot of dive trips that they host, and the owner was saying that if I'm going to go on these trips having a dive computer will be really beneficial. So here is my question. Is there a major difference between a new dive computer air integrated or an old one say 10 years old? I'm watching the local classifieds, craigslist, ebay etc. And I'm seeing some AI computers (console style) going for decent prices. But other then the condition of the unit is there a difference in the performance of the computers? Have they started using different algorithms with the newer style? My LDS says I should go with new cause they are a lot more accurate on tank pressure, etc, then the old ones. Is that true, or is my LDS just trying to keep me from buying online. I'm pretty technical overall and I know that desktop PC's have changed a lot in the last 10 years. I'm assuming that newer DC's (Dive Computers) will have more features, but if I see one that is 10-12 years old in good shape with the features I want, is there a reason to avoid it over a new one that's twice the cost?

Good question. The general trend on both PCs and dive computers is more memory and functions in a smaller space.

Are the new computers better? Yes. More powerfull and more bank for the buck.

Are the old ones still OK? Maybe depending on the unit.

Be careful to identify whether the older computer handles nitrox, and whether it has the capability to log dives and download them to a computer. These are features some people value.

Some features, like interface, are harder to quantify but make a huge difference. The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt isn't being lauded because it does much (if anything) no other computer does; it's praised for being easy & intuitive compared to others. I see people mention the dot matrix display of the OceanicWorldwide VT4, as opposed to the LCD screen on a VT3; not sure how much difference that makes. I think some consider the Atom 3.0 a substantial usability improvement over the 2.0, but I can't speak to that from any direct experience and could be wrong.

Also be mindful over time makes may make 'under the hood' adjustments in response to returns due to mechanical failure.

As fast as technology moves, buying a 'computer' of most any sort a decade old seems a very iffy proposition to me, on general principles.

It would help a lot if you'd show us a couple of 'new' (modern) brand/models you're looking at, and maybe 3 or 4 of the old ones that caught your eye.

Richard.

Thank you for your input. As an example one of the computers I'm looking at is a Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus. It is still new in box, but is 10 years old. It's not the new 2.1 version. or say an aeris 500ai pro. The big issue I have is basically cost. Where I can buy new a non-AI console computer (non-AI computer with standard SPG) for 200-250 or if it's worth getting the datamax pro for under $200.00 I was also looking at the Aladin Tec 2g which is being sold be Lp for $250. But now I'm finding out it's discontinued and is being replaced by a Non tec 2g. So back to is it worth going with an older computer if you get the features you want (i.e. user replaceable battery, etc) for costs or better spending more for new?

Alot depends on what you want from the computer and what kind of diving you plan to do. I like to keep it simple and I don't dive Nitrox. I dive either an old Aladin Pro or Aladin Sport, depending on the dive. Can't get simpler. Can't get more reliable. Basically bomb proof. In this line there is the Aladin Nitrox, if you are heading in that direction. About the only thing missing from these computers that I really miss is water temperature dsiplay. I'm not positive, but this info "might" be available on the computer download. Also a drawback is that the battery replacement is factory only (unless you are the handy type) and has really gone up in price; that said, a battery lasts literally for several years. Used price of a unit? Varies. I just picked up a like new Sport with a brand new battery for $100. That's cheaper than a battery replacement on my current Sport, which I have put 200+ dives on and it is still going strong.

Another insanely simple and very nice little computer in the hockey puck style is the Genesis Resource, which has user replaceable batteries. They have upgraded the model, probably more than once. Oceanic has nearly cornered the market on these hockey puck computers, but back when I bought my resource (11 years ago) I compared Oceanic and Genesis and found the Genesis simpler and easier (even though they might be made in the same factory?).

None of the above computers offer the bells and whistles of most newer computers. I prefer it that way. The Aladins have been so reliable that I don't bother testing them before taking the plunge--bad.

In any case, and this is my bias, I would stay away from AI. They're neat, and I put a bunch of dives on a Aladin Pro AI and never had a problem. However my philosophy changed somewhere along the way and I haven't used AI since.

Just some food for thought.

Thank you for your input. As an example one of the computers I'm looking at is a Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus. It is still new in box, but is 10 years old. It's not the new 2.1 version. or say an aeris 500ai pro. The big issue I have is basically cost. Where I can buy new a non-AI console computer (non-AI computer with standard SPG) for 200-250 or if it's worth getting the datamax pro for under $200.00 I was also looking at the Aladin Tec 2g which is being sold be Lp for $250. But now I'm finding out it's discontinued and is being replaced by a Non tec 2g. So back to is it worth going with an older computer if you get the features you want (i.e. user replaceable battery, etc) for costs or better spending more for new?

The thing that matters more than anything is the decompression algorithm that's used by the computer. Believe it or not, the math itself hasn't changed dramatically in ten years. Whistles and bells like tank pressure, etc are just that - whistles and bells. There are ten year old computers that run better algorithms than some brand new computers and some brand new computers run better algorithms than legacy devices. Without knowing what algorithms the units you're talking about use you can't really say that they're better/worse/comparable. Remember that the computer is a back-up for your training, not a replacement for it.

I see no need for an AI computer. Especially if you are on a budget. Get a simple wrist unit that does nitrox. Dive Right In Scuba has this unit
Hollis DG02 Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
and it will do everything you need it to.

There is no good reason to spend a thousand dollars on a computer unless it does trimix and even then it's a luxury as most tech dives are going to be planned with tables. AI/compass, heart rate monitor, etc are not needed and just make the unit more complicated to use without giving you more needed info.

another thing to consider is the maintenance of it, ie battery change, parts change etc.

some coy dun carry the parts or battery anymore... so keeping it going for another 10-20 year can be a issue.

If it's new in the box from a dealer keep the receipt for 2 years for warranty. oceanic is not fixing that computer anymore but they may replace it with a PP2. If you lose the receipt you are out of luck.

I see no need for an AI computer. Especially if you are on a budget. Get a simple wrist unit that does nitrox. Dive Right In Scuba has this unit
Hollis DG02 Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
and it will do everything you need it to.

There is no good reason to spend a thousand dollars on a computer unless it does trimix and even then it's a luxury as most tech dives are going to be planned with tables. AI/compass, heart rate monitor, etc are not needed and just make the unit more complicated to use without giving you more needed info.

Jim that's the oceanic veo180 with a different algorithm and sticker it old technology.The datamax pro he is looking at is cheaper that dg03 and has air integration.
The air integration is not complicated and it gives you more information. If that’s to complicated then using a spg at depth would be more complicated because you are calculating air consumption on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom