New Channel Islands marine reserves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and this is just based on what I have observed, but it seems to me that the Northern Channel Islands in particular are not what they were when I started diving seven years ago. Now, barring the concept that my presence alone has caused this deterioration, I think we should try anything we can to save what's there now. Granted, the last big El Nino took its toll, but it is better to do what we can now than push blame around after it's gone. I look forward to more sizeable rockfish.

I think this is where we'll be in may next year for a school trip. We'll be on truth and aquatics for like three days. I'm helping to chaparone a bunch of sixth graders (pity me)

I know its the islands, just don't know specifically where.

Anyway, what kind of weather, water temps and life could we hope to see in May/early june? Would love to see some whales and dolphins. Seals of course to.

Mike, you can read my report on Catalina at www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16181

It will give you an idea of what the area is like. I understand the Northern Islands are even better.

As to the fishing issue, I know a lot of divers here in SoCal love to spearfish and catch lobsters.

Having learned diving in the Mediterranean, this was somehow a surprise to me. Over there, spear fishing is only authorized if you're snorkeling, not scuba diving. One can argue that commercial fishing is really more to blame than the occasional diver. But, as for myself, I like to dive, like most, for the marine life. To look at it and take pictures of it, not to bring it back at home...And I'm all for whatever is done to protect it. I let the people whose living depends on fishing handle that part for me.

Restricting certain areas from fishing usually helps. Even when temporary, those measures have long term effects on the environment, where the fishing industry may be more strictly short term minded. However, putting all the blame on the fishing industry would be like accusing the farmers of being responsible for the ozone layer. Fishing, like hunting, does have some benefits and does help regulating the eco-system, as long as it's done in a responsible manner.

In short, let's hope that the fight against pollution in SoCal is not diverted. An industry or a recreational activity shouldn't be singled out and take the fall for all the others.

As I stated in the North America thread I was happy to see the law go into affect. As previously mentioned I was happy to see it partially for my own selfish reasons. I like to dive where there is an abundance of marine life to observe and shoot pics.

Mike, to help try to answer some of your questions: The surface air should be anywhere from the 50s to the 60s generally that time of year (during the daytime). the water temp is normally in the mid 50s range. As far as whales, more than likely you won't see any that time of year. Their migration is earlier in the year. Dolphins is another story. When I go out on different dive boats I would guess that 75% of the time I will spot dolphins/porpoises (sp) around the bow of the boat. While diving you should see a variety of "native" marine life for that area and in some cases, depending on the locations you may run into some sea lions/seals.

Don't mean to be so vague but it can be difficult to predict what the weather and conditions will be 8 months from now. But based on "history" that is, IMHO, what you might expect.

there is the argument that making some areas off limits will increase pressure on other areas not so designated.

Mike, water temps in late May-June should be high 50's, low 60's, or at least that's what my historical logbook suggests. There can also be an algae bloom around that time, so it could be a bit green. Seal and/or sea lion encounters are likely up there, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom