New camera and not even certified yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Instructor I would allow my students to bring a camera on dive 4 only, provided they aced dives 1-3. Not a case of playing god, simply keeping the task loading to a minimum for someone new to diving. I have a DC310 and can say that it is a decent camera all around but it has been discontinued for a intents and purposes.

The DC 500 is out with a few diffent options as far the package you select or you may want to take advantage of the Olypmus and its' current $50 dollar rebate.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts...?Template=9990000041000999&searchinput=dc+500

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Olympus SP-350 Digital Camera_ID43263

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Olympus PT-030 Underwater Housing for SP-350_ID43262

herman:
Please do.
I completely understand your desire to take your camera but the amout of task loading a camera adds is a lot greater than you would think. Enjoy the dives, practice your bouyancy and your buddy skills. Bouyancy and buddy skills need to be second nature before you pick up a camera. Something you can do to practice for the camera is to get close to a coral head and hover while inspecting the small life. Slow down, hover a lot and observe the small stuff, you will be amazed at what you find.
If you see someone on the boat who does have a camera, ask if they will take a few of you and send you a CD. I am always happy to do so, esp if you buy the first beer of the evening.

I agree with Herman, there's more to taking a camera with you than you can imagine at this point. Take this time to hone your bouyancy skills, learn to slow down and see eveything around you. Just because you won't have a camera with you doesn't mean you can't still work on your photography! As you practice topside to get to know your camera, whichever brand/model you choose, you'll be learning about exposures and composition. Then when you know you're comfortable enough to take on the additional tasks, and I bet it won't take you long, you'll be ahead of the learning curve and will avoid most of the newbie mistakes.

We went back to the pool last night working on bouyancy, mask clearing etc... I did take the camera down and took a few shots just getting used to it. Doesn,t seem that bad hauling it around but I am sure it will be different in the open water. I will leave it topside for the first day for sure and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the replies.

If you want the memories, but don't necessarily need to create them, have a friend shoot topside for you, and see if one of the divecons wouldn't mind clicking some quickies of you underwater on your solo tour. Some classes have a surplus and they might be happy to do it.

Back
Top Bottom