New boat launch ramp at Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the boats/watercraft won't be buzzing around the bouyed off safety area? That's what I was visuallizing. You can be sure we'll be there to camp for a weekend and check it out before we make a blanket decision. And I hope others will do the same.

The politics being played doesn't surprise me and I hope you succeed in getting some sort of investigation going! It would be a shame if it takes an acident to accomplish that. :(

Thanks again in coming here personally to set things straight.

Richard,

What alternate location do you propose? What initiated the construction of the ramp, did the LCRA/County decide they needed another ramp, or did your desire to utilize the easement start this?

The impact of the ramp is a political issue. It is affecting our ability to access a public resource.

Mike Gault

Godaddyoh once bubbled...
The location of the launch is along the Southeast facing shoreline in the LCRA/County park next door. You cannot see it from our shoreline even if you swim offshore aways.

We only rent the newest technological watercraft. All our boats use 4 stroke engines. They are the quietest and most environmentally sensitive machines available on the market today. We've been renting them for three months now and no one seems to have noticed them yet.

The only people who will be offended are the county's park users. That being said I do hope you will come to see for selves.

If I may expand on the issue. Note that the first post in this thread has the Park Ranger suggesting that we are to blame for the launch being placed in the prime swim area on the peninsula. Nothing could be further from the truth. We vehemently oppose using that launch location. We believe the County and LCRA are hoping to force a conflict there. Perhaps even hoping for an accident. They refuse to enforce a state law to keep swimmers away from the boat ramp while forcing us to launch among them. (someone else said conspiracy in this thread.) We are actively seeking a TV news investigator.

Sorry if I begin to go on. This thread is about the ramp and it's impact to the area and not about the politics surrounding it.

Richard

Mike, as I said before, the judgement declares our right to launch over the easement. The easement existed some thirty years before the county leased that tract of land from the LCRA. The fact is that, when the county entered their lease with the LCRA, bad lawyering failed to show the prior existence of the easement. (That lawyer is now the county's top attorney, can you say the "Peter Principle"?) The easement was granted to a prior land owner with the intent that he would provide public access over the LCRA tract. We purchased the land containing the easement over twenty years ago and had originally run the park at Windy Point for many years before Travis County even had a parks department. Of course, they wish that it wasn't there.

Following the discovery of our prior existing easement was a desire and belief by Travis County politicians that we would fold under governmental pressure which led to the current unmanageable situation. The county filed seven lawsuits on us in hopes that we could never survive. We did. Then, your tax dollars built a road through our property and they repeatedly suggested to us that our problems could be resolved if we would just settle with them for a pittance of our property value. We beat them to the state supreme court on that.

What alternate location do we propose? The final judgement declares us to be the dominant estate and the LCRA to be the subservient estate. Among other details, it specifies that, when launching, we can only use those portions of the LCRA tract as may be reasonable and necessary. We interpret that to be any location that provides a good slope with solid terrain so we may launch without becoming stuck in the mud or creating an environmental concern because of wash of the underside of our launching vehicle. Also, we consider safety issues regarding the population of an area and wind and wave action. That criteria determines our preferred locale as the elevation of Lake Travis fluctuates. Travis County doesn't like that because we hold a contempt case against them for interferring with our right to reach the shore wherever the water touches the LCRA land as they have erected numerous obstacles along the shoreline preventing us from choosing locale based on the aforementioned criteria; Access that is guaranteed by the judgement. Instead, the county is enforcing an additional clause in the judgement that states that Travis County, at its sole discretion, may impose a location for launching if ,and only if, they "construct" a boat ramp for our use. You are now impacted by their decision. Back to your question about location: First, using the aforementioned criteria, the cove would be better suited under most conditions until the lake drops away too far. Otherwise, the county could decide to share their existing ramp at the east end ,but, while sensible, that won't happen as it is not a location referenced in the Judgement.

Did our desire to utilize the easement start this? The rule is "Use it or lose it!" We have always utilized the easement. We created and made popular the park known as Windy Point Park, fully utilizing our easement rights to provide access to the public long before the county came along. In 1987, Just For Fun, a well known boat rental business was our 1st commercial tenant launching here. We have had many over the years. Finally we are doing it ourselves. Our tenants have already taken numerous tickets for launching (over a dozen so far and more are pending) using the citeria described above, and every one was beat. We have personally been taken to jail for using the easement but again we beat them every time. Beginning to sound like abuse of power?

To give you an idea of just how ridiculous this is.... The County will not allow our rental customers to also be customers in their park. Why not? most of them already have their day pass there anyway, so why should it matter? But if they rent from us then they are not allowed to be guests there. ???????? They, the government employees, elevate it to a personal matter. Such decisions are handed down from their parks director, Charles Bergh.

If you desire, I would be more than willing to send you a copy of the judgement. Then you may see the details yourself.

A person to contact about all this is Suzanne Zarling at the LCRA. (512) 473 3200. She is our liaison with the county management.

Everything is a political issue more than you know Mike. You've got to appreciate living in America, where you can argue your rights against the government. I recently had Govenor Perry here on the property and also contacted five area state representives regarding concerns here. I certainly do not mean to cause problems with the users in Bob Wentz Park, but will not cowar to political abuse.

This is a lot of information, but you asked about the politics.

Richard

Thanks for the details, Richard. Am I understanding correctly that there is a suitable launch site more to the East, but that the LCRA(or Travis County?) has chosen to incur costs that might otherwise be avoided, so that they(or Travis County?) can dictate more precisely where you launch?

For the benefit of others reading this who might not understand the significance, I believe the location where they currently intend to locate the ramp would practically make diving from Bob Wentz park illegal (prohibition to enter the water within certain proximity of the ramp leaves only impractical access to the water). Bob Wentz park is a very popular place to access the lake. I personally, as well as many divers I have trained, have enjoyed accessing the lake both at Bob Wentz and at Barstow's Windy Point Park for many years. Fortunately Richard doesn't impose the "you can't use our's if your using their's" mentallity he describes the county using below.

-Mike

Godaddyoh once bubbled...
Mike, as I said before, the judgement declares our right to launch over the easement. The easement existed some thirty years before the county leased that tract of land from the LCRA. The fact is that, when the county entered their lease with the LCRA, bad lawyering failed to show the prior existence of the easement. (That lawyer is now the county's top attorney, can you say the "Peter Principle"?) The easement was granted to a prior land owner with the intent that he would provide public access over the LCRA tract. We purchased the land containing the easement over twenty years ago and had originally run the park at Windy Point for many years before Travis County even had a parks department. Of course, they wish that it wasn't there.

Following the discovery of our prior existing easement was a desire and belief by Travis County politicians that we would fold under governmental pressure which led to the current unmanageable situation. The county filed seven lawsuits on us in hopes that we could never survive. We did. Then, your tax dollars built a road through our property and they repeatedly suggested to us that our problems could be resolved if we would just settle with them for a pittance of our property value. We beat them to the state supreme court on that.

What alternate location do we propose? The final judgement declares us to be the dominant estate and the LCRA to be the subservient estate. Among other details, it specifies that, when launching, we can only use those portions of the LCRA tract as may be reasonable and necessary. We interpret that to be any location that provides a good slope with solid terrain so we may launch without becoming stuck in the mud or creating an environmental concern because of wash of the underside of our launching vehicle. Also, we consider safety issues regarding the population of an area. That criteria determines our preferred locale as the elevation of Lake Travis fluctuates. Under the terms of the judgement, the county, at its sole discretion, may impose a location if ,and only if, they "construct" a boat ramp for our use. You are now impacted by their decision. First, using the aforementioned criteria, the cove would be better suited under most conditions until the lake drops away to far. Otherwise, the county could decide to share their existing ramp at the east end ,but, while sensible, that won't happen as it is not a location referenced in the Judgement.

Did our desire to utilize the easement start this? The rule is "Use it or lose it!" We have always utilized the easement. Just For Fun, a well known boat rental business was our 1st tenant launching here in 1987. We have had many over the years. Finally we are doing it ourselves. Our tenants have already taken numerous tickets for launching (over a dozen so far and more are pending) using the citeria described above, and every one was beat. We have personally been taken to jail for using the easement but again we beat them every time. Beginning to sound like abuse of power?

To give you an idea of just how ridiculous this is.... The County will not allow our rental customers to also be customers in their park. Why not? most of them already have their day pass there anyway, so why should it matter? But if they rent from us then they are not allowed to be guests there. ???????? They, the government employees, elevate it to a personal matter. Such decisions are handed down from their parks director, Charles Bergh.

If you desire, I would be more than willing to send you a copy of the judgement. Then you may see the details yourself.

A person to contact about all this is Suzanne Zarling at the LCRA. (512) 473 3200. She is our liaison with the county management.

Everything is a political issue more than you know Mike. You've got to appreciate living in America, where you can argue your rights against the government. I recently had Govenor Perry here on the property and also contacted five area state representives regarding concerns here. I certainly do not mean to cause problems with the users in Bob Wentz Park, but will not cowar to political abuse.

This is a lot of information, but you asked about the politics.

Richard

Mike, in a simplified answer, and as it impacts you as a user... Yes. With the exception that they are claiming it to be a new category of use never before seen on the lake. It is designated as a "special use" boat launch that needs to be cleared only when "in use". That puts swimmers in the water at risk and a burden on us to move them when we launch. How the heck do you know when it is in use.... after you get hit?

I referred to that in an earlier post when I mentioned that they refuse to apply the LCRA regulation that keeps swimmers a certain distance from a boat launch.

As a matter of politics and cover up, I have a couple of different maps of their park that I downloaded at different times from their website. You can clearly see that, after we brought the matter to their attention, it was altered to escape the LCRA regulations regarding safety and swimming at boat ramps. They are forcing a risky environment.

Richard

this morning and was told that concerned citizens should communicate their concerns over this issue to Mr. Charles Bergh, Director of Parks, Travis County.

His number is 512.854.9437.

I suggest you insist on voicing to Suzanne at the LCRA. (512) 473 3200. She is the one in charge of public safety on Lake Travis and as the owner of the land there the LCRA has any final say over its' management: Travis County is only a tenant there. Suzanne can be reached by email at Suzanne.Zarling@lcra.org. In my humble opinion, Charles Bergh should be relieved of his position. If you must call Travis county then go over his head and call the county commissioner, Gerald Daugherty at (512)854-9333. He can also be reached by email at gerald.daugherty@co.travis.tx.us

Thanks for being involved

Richard,

Has there been any coverage in the newspapers? We're close to Houston and don't get any Austin news. What's the name of the newspapers there? If enough divers called the newspaper or TV station, asking for current information or answers to specific questions, do you think that would help?

Maybe it's time for divers, those who will be highly affected, to get involved somehow.

Area Code is 512

Austin American Statesman www.satesman.com 445-3500

Austin Chronicle 454-5766

Daily Texan (UT Student Paper) 471-4591

Lake Travis View (?) 263-1100

KNVA 475-5400

KTBC 472-0988

KXAN 476-3636

KEYE 835-0042

KVUE 459-6521

Dee once bubbled...
Richard,

Has there been any coverage in the newspapers? We're close to Houston and don't get any Austin news. What's the name of the newspapers there? If enough divers called the newspaper or TV station, asking for current information or answers to specific questions, do you think that would help?

Maybe it's time for divers, those who will be highly affected, to get involved somehow.

Back
Top Bottom