new bifocal mask prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billg68bg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a new bifocal mask, XS Scuba Gauge Reader. Does anyone know if it is safe to burn off the protective film without risk of damaging the bifocals? Is there a better/safer method? Never did it before, so I figure I should inquire before doing something wrong. And how can you tell you removed it completely? My current mask is the one I've used for snorkeling forever and never removed the coating. Didn't know it had one.

One simple method, run it through the dishwasher, no heat dry.

two squirt some dish washing liquid on each lens, rub it in well, fill mask with hot water and let it soak until the water is cool, rinse and try it.

I’ve found most newer masks are not bad enough to need flame but that will also work if you don’t overheat the glass.

I used Fast Orange (the one withOUT abrasives, with 'MicroGel Technology')

I did this because it was handy and my assumption was the preservative used on the lens and skirt had some sort of base that something like Fast Orange would wipe out.

Just one finger run cleaned up the lenses and skirt. By itself that was enough to stave off immediate fogging so when I added a couple of drops of baby shampoo that held off the fog entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom