New BHB and Palm Beach Inlet Diving Adventure :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had told the people on the BHB Trolls thread that I would get Pura Vida to loan us a bunch of paddle boards, this Saturday, so that a bunch of regular divers at the BHB could see how much fun diving the jetty off of the Palm Beach Inlet was...and how easy this can be.... Weather is not going to be "stellar" this weekend, and the tide is a little late, so this Saturday will be more of another simulation and run-thru.....
Bill Mee and I will do another simulation of this trip tomorrow, leaving the BHB beach by 3 pm.....If a few of you guys want to go, let me know and I imagine I can get a kayak or paddleboard for you....We will try to get a big group to go for the following Saturday or Sunday ( which one up to the majority that wants to go).

This intial concept is that this is such an easy snorkel/freedive trip, that lots of BHB regulars should be trying the Jetty dive.....

We are "also" going to be trying out a new "toy" from Brownies 3rd Lung.....it is a paddleboard that has a battery powered compressor on it, that pushes air down 2 or 3 long hoses like the Tooka or Brownies 3rd Lung....The idea being, you paddle to the site you want to dive, and then tow the paddleboard with it's flag, by the air hose you are breathing from--down to 20 or 30 feet deep. This has a low air warning, where when you get near the end of the battery, an alarm goes off to alert the diver that it is time to go up :)
We get to play with this new toy for a few weeks, so for this saturday, or the next weekend we do this, any of you that wants to paddle over to the South Jetty area with us, can breathe off a long brownie hose as if you were scuba diving, but without the weight and bother of carrying your own tank. Just plan your weighting as if you were snorkeling...about neutral....As max depth is only 25 feet to 30 feet if you go all the way to the bottom of the channel wall, there is very little bouyancy shift in a wet suit, certainly not enough to justify dragging a Bouyancy Compensator along ( BC) :) ...

So we will simulate the plan this saturday....we will paddle the boards and Kayak(s) across to Peanut Island, then skirt along the beach to the South side of the Island. There is a rest Room area, and plenty of other things some of you might want to visit, so we may do a stop just to simulate this, and enjoy it........so then we resume, and cross the channel between Peanut Island and the Island of Palm Beach , after which we skirt along near the jetty and paddle out the inlet to about 3/4 ths of the way out to the end....We will then jump in the water, and allow the tidal flow to give us some excalator based snorkeling or Brownie Hose scuba back to the West end of the Island where the reef ends..... This is a very cool reefline, and very cool even when compared to reefs offshore in 60 feet of water. Depth ranges available are by the Jetty ( 4 to 8 feet), top of the channel wall( 12 feet), bottom of the channel wall reef ( 20 to 35 feet). This is long, and with a lot of life on it. The current will do the work in drifting us to the far west end. We then get back on the boards, and cross the 200 yards or so od nav channel to Peanut Island again, and then anyone that wants a snack would take a break then and do this on the Island....After which, a slow leisurely paddle back the way we first came to the BHB.
Use dan@sfdj.com if you want to go or reach me about this.

---------- Post Merged on November 10th, 2012 at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was on November 9th, 2012 at 09:16 AM ----------

With reports from our diveboats that the inlet was zero vis this morning, I don't see the Paddle and Dive trip being viable today....anyone interested, lets plan on Saturday or Sundayt next week.

From what I heard, someone is dumping fill into the intracoastal South around Lantanna, and it is silting the entire area north to past BHB.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom