New Benchmark In dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy from a large corporation but beware of paying for the name and reputation.
As the thread has shown us, there is nothing new offered. Other options exist offered from large and small companies. It is just shameful a large company having great resources and such a long history in the industry doesn't come up with innovative products. I understand part of their reasoning to not take risks on products that don't fit the greatest target customer group. Also, I see the trend to not to spend too much money on research, development and testing (only test to keep you out of liability suits and not based on finding feature combinations customers find useful). They can't afford to take risks and have a bad sales year so they maintain what they have done for the last decade. It works so why change it? Just advertise more and put out nicer photo shoots at exotic locations so your ad in the magazine grabs more viewers. The extra sales guy they hired could have instead been an engineer or designer for the product development department. In the mean time technology and the needs of divers have changed. Illuminated displays and computing power has increased and gotten cheaper. The evolution of more recreational divers incorporating tools of technical divers (while still maintaining "recreational" status) has become more frequent. Some of the smaller or innovative companies gave us the improved details we wanted out of our computers and the customers liked it.

Last edited:
you're expecting way too much out of a 6 month old acquisition. i also don't get why you feel as if the large companies somehow have an obligation to sell innovative products just because they are large. a bit like complaining that ford doesn't sell a better electric car than tesla.

What're y'all complaining about? The price tag looks the same as the VTX. Unlike, say, i300 that's like full 50% over its Oceanic/Hollis counterpart.

Pelagic Pressure Systems has been the OEM for Oceanic, Hollis, Sherwood, Genesis, previously Aeris, for a long time. Aqua Lung purchased PPS from American Underwater Products (Oceanic, Hollis, LavaCore, OceanPro, previously Aeris). PPS now manufactures a line of computers for Aqua Lung. Suunto used to be distributed in the US by Aqua Lung, now distributed by Huish Outdoors (Bare, Zeagle, Atomic Aquatics, Liquivision, Sharkskin, Stahlsac)

The Aqua Lung computers are extremely similar to Oceanic/Aeris computers but only run PZ+ and not DSAT (i.e., are not dual algorithm)

Aqua Lung i750T=Oceanic VTX
Aqua Lung i450T=Oceanic OCi
Aqua Lung i550=Aeris Atmos ai
Aqua Lung i300=Oceanic Veo 2

Many consumers are unaware of these relationships, buyer beware

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom