New benchmark for LED lights: VB-50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification Michael.

The - to me at least - huge benefit to CC is that it doesn't "flicker". I may be more sensitive to PVM than others, but it bothers me tremendously. Especially if there is any movement in the beam - in a diving situation that would mean me swimming and moving the light, fish swimming and even flotsam moving in the beam. PVM would have made the low power setting useless to me.

Henrik

I think it depends on the rate as to whether it is noticeable. I know that with some cheaper lights that sometimes there is a hum on the lower power settings although not on any lights that I have.

Why that? Do you mean the consumption of the PWM vs. CC ?
Our CC for the SST-50 has really small losses. This circuit dont need any cooling up to 10A.

I think PWM maybe is important for video light. With PWM dont change the colour temperature of light in the different power settings. Maybe current control is better for flashlights. Maybe the best uses for PWM and power led's are more for architectural or bigger lighting projects.

Michael

Yes, CC vs PWM.

I thought the benefits to PWM for power led's was that it stays cool for a longer period of time (but this probably isn't a major factor since it only applied to reduced settings...if cooling isn't an issue on high then it probably isn't an issue on lesser settings) and that it has a lower average current consumption than with current control.

I'm no expert however and I'm just trying to learn as well. It (PWM) is used on many flashlights however and not just on lights for video.

I think it depends on the rate as to whether it is noticeable. I know that with some cheaper lights that sometimes there is a hum on the lower power settings although not on any lights that I have.

I have a couple of not so cheap LED lights with PVM reduced light output. No hum, but a high rate flicker that for some reason bothers me - it's not *really* visible, but it bothers me anyway. No good way to explain it.

You may know this, but point the light at your hand and wave you hand back and forth with your fingers spread out, and you'll notice the image of your fingers flickering. Same thing if you point the light at a slow moving ceiling fan.

I guess I'm able to pick up that high frq. flicker and find it very annoying.

Henrik

I am planning to purchase a light soon and I am considering both the VB-50 and Light Monkey 21W LED. Any update on the availability of the VB-50 in the US?
Christophe

I am planning to purchase a light soon and I am considering both the VB-50 and Light Monkey 21W LED. Any update on the availability of the VB-50 in the US?
Christophe

2 weeks ago jakub @ golemgear said their due to arrive from Germany in 2 weeks...which = any day now. I've already ordered a PHOTON2 with VB-50 combo so I'm just waiting for the ship/airplane to come in! :)

2 weeks ago jakub @ golemgear said their due to arrive from Germany in 2 weeks...which = any day now.

From what I've heard it may have been pushed back another week or two.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom