New benchmark for LED lights: VB-50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right, there is a big price gap. But then oranges will always cost more than apples (I was going to say lemons but some one may take offence).

IMHO the best thing about the MB Sub is its focus ability. I dont know of any other LED can light that achieves this with the same stunning results the MB Sub does.

From what I have seen most other LED based light heads suck. The beam is too wide and dispersed. IMHO the use of aspheric lenses for LED dive lights is the way to go and MB Subs focusing ability is fantastic.
If I was to buy a can light the MB Sub would be top of my list.

Hi Packhorse,

there was a misunderstanding: the price of $1200 MSRP was not only for the LED-head VB-50 but for the complete system VB-CAVE. This is the new LED-head with canister and charger. See the describtion here: mb-sub.com: VB - CAVE NEW
Btw, many thanks for your plaudit.

Michael

Hi Michael - a few more questions:

- how long is the warranty on your lights?

- you mentioned that you'd built the X1-VB to be upgradeable when new LEDs come out. Is that the case with the VB-50 light as well?

- How long is the cord from can to light head?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi Michael - a few more questions:

- how long is the warranty on your lights?

- you mentioned that you'd built the X1-VB to be upgradeable when new LEDs come out. Is that the case with the VB-50 light as well?

- How long is the cord from can to light head?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

the warranty time for all our products is 2 years (include the battery). The warranty time is extendable to 3 years (optional).

The VB-50 is upgradeable with new LEDs in the future.

The cord is normaly 110 cm, but you can give me the length dimension if you want a different length.

Sorry, but my English is even worse early in the morning as usual.

Michael

Thanks Michael, good info.

... and your english is better by far than my german which has gotten quite rusty :)

Henrik

Hi Michael,

sorry I keep bugging you ....

How is the 35% light level adjusted? PVM or current control?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi Michael,

sorry I keep bugging you ....

How is the 35% light level adjusted? PVM or current control?

Thanks,

Henrik

Its a current control. Only in this way you get with 35% of the electrical power the 50% of brighness.

Michael

Its a current control. Only in this way you get with 35% of the electrical power the 50% of brighness.

Michael

Interesting. I guess it's a value judgment call regarding the trade off.

PWM would use less current and therefore be more efficient but a 35% setting would result in 35% apparent brightness.

Current control is less efficient as far as current usage but due to the greater efficiency of led's at reduced current a 35% current level results in 50% brightness.

I would think that if someone choose to go to a 35% reduction that they weren't looking for a lot of light in the first place and would prefer to have the greatest current reduction possible and therefore the greatest run times.

I guess there are benefits each way.

Michael

Thanks for the clarification Michael.

Interesting. I guess it's a value judgment call regarding the trade off.

The - to me at least - huge benefit to CC is that it doesn't "flicker". I may be more sensitive to PVM than others, but it bothers me tremendously. Especially if there is any movement in the beam - in a diving situation that would mean me swimming and moving the light, fish swimming and even flotsam moving in the beam. PVM would have made the low power setting useless to me.

Henrik

PWM would use less current

Why that? Do you mean the consumption of the PWM vs. CC ?
Our CC for the SST-50 has really small losses. This circuit dont need any cooling up to 10A.

I think PWM maybe is important for video light. With PWM dont change the colour temperature of light in the different power settings.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom