New artificial reef off Phuket soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Batfish and all you Phuket guys, in itself it's a great idea and initiative. It just seems very unfortunate that it's all done for the benefit of a few without looking after the interest of all dc's on Phuket, which one would expect the TDA to do.

Ah well, nothing that beats diving in the Gulf anyway :lotsalove::dork2::coffee: :crafty:

Hi Batfish and all you Phuket guys, in itself it's a great idea and initiative. It just seems very unfortunate that it's all done for the benefit of a few without looking after the interest of all dc's on Phuket, which one would expect the TDA to do.

Ah well, nothing that beats diving in the Gulf anyway :lotsalove::dork2::coffee: :crafty:

I for one am HAPPY that we are actually finally getting an artificial reef that may become quite a nice divesite over time. (Even if it is a little bit out of the way from most Dive Centers)

Remember the sinking of dozens and dozens of train-carriages in Pattani years ago? Now THAT was a complete waste of government funding and it would have been much better if those train carriages had been sunk around Koh Tao.
Then you guys would FINALLY have had something nice to dive on by now and not just rubble, silt and bare rock....

:D

I for one am HAPPY that we are actually finally getting an artificial reef that may become quite a nice divesite over time.
I am also happy with the principle, it just would have been nice if they would build the reef at a site accessible to more operators (that way it might achieve the goals indicated earlier as well), and if it would be at a site better protected from the elements, so the risk of the reef being quickly destroyed would be minimal.

I for one am HAPPY that we are actually finally getting an artificial reef that may become quite a nice divesite over time. (Even if it is a little bit out of the way from most Dive Centers)

Remember the sinking of dozens and dozens of train-carriages in Pattani years ago? Now THAT was a complete waste of government funding and it would have been much better if those train carriages had been sunk around Koh Tao.
Then you guys would FINALLY have had something nice to dive on by now and not just rubble, silt and bare rock....

Bowmouth, maybe you should save your silly comments for a rainy day and actually go over to Koh Tao and dive it.

Rubble, silt and bare rock? In another thread, just started by you, you claim not to bash KT, doesn't look so to me.

Maybe just chill a bit.

Bowmouth, maybe you should save your silly comments for a rainy day and actually go over to Koh Tao and dive it.

Oh, Limbo now please do not be so serious.
I may look to you like a mean barking dog but I'm actually wagging my tail!

And by the way; it IS a rainy day here in Phuket...

This letter was send to (most of) Phuket diveshops today:

Dear Dive Operator,

We have been waiting a long time for a new wreck in Phuket! With international attention we are proud to present The Dakota Fleet…

You are invited to visit Phuket’s new dive site in its infancy at Bang Tao Beach on Monday May the 6th 2008.
This new dive site contains 10 aircraft ( relics of the Vietnam and Korean wars ).
All aircraft will be sunk on the 5th of May 2008 at Koh Wae, Bang Tao Beach.
Bang Tao community, Bang Tao Long Tails club and Center of Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Region 4 ( Phuket ) are pleased to invite all dive operators & dive staff to make the first visit on Monday the 6th of May 2008 at 12.00 a.m.

Depth: 16 meters,
Visibility: 8-10 meters
Current: mild

Maximum divers for the day: 50 Divers

Itinerary
12:00 All divers meet at Laguna Beach Resort, Bang Tao Beach
Transfer by long tail to South Siam’s dive boat M/V Somboon 4
Lunch & snack served, equipment set up
13:00 Dive site briefing, 1st dive
Long tail will stand by if you wish to make only 1 dive
15:00 2nd dive
16:00 Transfer back to the beach by long tail

South Siam Boat will provide lunch, snacks, soft drinks, tanks & weights.
Bang Tao Long Tails club will provide transfer

Please bring your own dive equipment, camera, VDO etc.

If you wish to confirm attendance on this special trip, please sign up the attached form and Fax to: 0 7634 1515 before the 5th May, 18:00 hours

Price: F.O.C.

If you wish to take photos before the sinking, please visit Phuket deep sea port in Ao Makham before the 2nd of May after which they will move the wrecks to Bang Tao Bay.

If you wish to join us on the day of the sinking please meet at Bang Tao Bay on the 5th May at 10.00 hours.

If you wish to make a donation to this project. Please contact Khun Phaitoon, Khun Visit or Doo (contact details below).

Thank you kindly for your support and happy diving,

Yours Truly

Doo: 08 1895 5859
Khun Phaitoon: 08 1173 1146
Khun Visit: 08 1607 4108

If anyone does go, please post some pictures on the board. Thanks again for the update Bowmouth. I really hope it goes off well. I would like to see the wrecks and how they get held to the ocean bottom. Another poster mentioned the strong currents that can come about. I know there is a plan in place, but would like to see it as I will not be in that area for sometime.

Up in the Pattaya area there is a clownfish reintroduction plan going on this weekend May 3-4, according to a dive buddy who is in the know. It is being head up by the Thai Navy.

Arizona

well I am going on tuesday to see them :)

will let you know how its goes

of course I am making the assumption that the sinking goes according to plan on the 5th and there are wrecks to dive on the 6th :)

It's an all-star event including cameo appearances by celebrities!

Will it be made into a musical?

"Thai actors Dom Hetrakul and Vorarit “Not” Fuangaromya will be the emcees throughout the event.

At 1 pm, Thai actor Teerapat “Tui” Satjakul and actress Kathaleeya “Mam” McIntosh will take the plunge and become the first guests to dive among the wrecks."
Phuket Gazette - online English newspaper for Phuket, Thailand, with daily news, classified ads, yellow pages, business listings, upcoming events, event calendar, phuket events

Well, it appears the big event has now been postponed until high season - November.

"PHUKET CITY: The sinking of 10 decommissioned military aircraft – nicknamed the Coral Reef Squadron – to create Thailand’s largest artificial reef has been postponed until November, Tourism Authority of Thailand South Region 4 Office Director Suwalai Pinpradub announced today.

Speaking at a press conference this afternoon, K. Suwalai said that the strong winds and large waves that have arrived with the rainy season monsoon have now made it too dangerous to sink the aircraft in Bang Tao Bay."

Phuket Gazette - online English newspaper for Phuket, Thailand, with daily news, classified ads, yellow pages, business listings, upcoming events, event calendar, phuket events

Back
Top Bottom