New artificial reef off Phuket soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is this just pollution to make profit? Perhaps this was not thought out that well. Just because divers are involved does not mean they are experts in this particular field. I wonder what marine biologists have to stay regarding this plan.

Khun Paitoon has been working for the PMBC (Phuket Marine Biological Centre) for many years and has been very active in underwater clean-ups, conservation projects and promoting artificial reefs in Thai waters. I think it's important to understand though that many different Departments (including Fisheries and Royal Thai Navy) will have had their say in the matter of these planes being sunk and that a majority of the decision making people will have little or no knowledge about creating (and maintaining) artificial reefs.
I doubt if the sinking of these planes has anything to do with making a profit.

Bowmouth,

"I doubt if the sinking of these planes has anything to do with making a profit."

Are you serious?

This is Thailand and money is always an issue. I did not know the details about Khun Paitoon. Let's hope his good advice leads the charge. But more importantly is the PMBC credible? What about marine biologists at universities? I am just playing devil’s advocate, but in reality things are not always as they seem. If what you write is true, then we should be in good shape. The press does not provide the details behind the planning. I just read an article on this in the March 22nd Daily Xpress. Thanks for sharing.

AZ

Bowmouth,

"I doubt if the sinking of these planes has anything to do with making a profit."

Are you serious?

AZ

Call me a fool but yes, I do not believe that making a profit is the reason to sink those planes. I do also believe that the reason for the planned sinking of those planes at this particular (unwelcome) site is more an issue of red tape and competing Departments than anything else.

The PMBC has some VERY good people working for them and does a lot of good things for this part of the Andaman Sea. Unfortunately very little about their good work is being printed and/or in the local newspapers. Also unfortunately do most longterm expats and/or dive business owners not try to get to know the PMBC a little better and have already made-up minds (negatively) about the PMBC.
The Thai people at the PMBC are very happy with any help and input we can provide but they do not want to be ridiculed and/or lectured. I find it sad to read that you seem to have made up your mind already about the Thais and seem to be unable to think a little bit more positively....

I did not make up mind, but rather want to know more about PMBC. What about input from Thai universities? What affects will this have on the eco system? I am being pragmatic in the sense that a title does not necessarily equate expertise. I never heard of them before you mentioning them. Get the word out, there is an audience listening. I have the utmost respect for all those sharing common goals of protecting our planet's waters.

I am no expert, and don't want to be perceived as lecturing. I am just pointing out that dumping helicopters and planes into the ocean could be seen as pollution and hoping to get some expert opinion on the subject. Regardless of original intent, IMO the money factor has to enter the equation. I wonder who bought land in the area recently? Making this Phuket's 2nd major dive site as reported in the newspapers (Daily Xpress) seems like a baht movitve. Could that cause some to overlook other issues? I am trying to bring the subject up for discussion. No disrespect meant. Again, this is meant to be informational not judgmental in any way.

AZ

I did not make up mind, but rather want to know more about PMBC. What about input from Thai universities?
AZ

Many of the people from the PMBC have studied at the better universities in Bangkok. Some projects, environmental work and studies have been done with help and input from different universities. Also, Navy and other Thai divers are each and every year involved with reef clean-ups and mooring installation projects.

Again, the sad thing is that few of Phuket's (and Thailand's) expat marine business owners are united and actively involved and in marine conservation and working closely with the government.

In the past attempts have been made by both expats and the Thais but most were short lived. Cultural differences, language problems, business conflicts and sometimes just plain laziness and foolishness attributed to collapse of what could have been a beneficial relationship for all involved.

I will try to contact Khun Paitul this coming week and see what he has to say about the sinking of the planes and choppers. I will keep you all posted.

Bowmouth,

I appreciate the dialog. I always wondered if studies have backed doing this sort of thing. Why not just sink one or two and monitor instead of sinking such a large group at once? It is sad when good eco efforts don't catch on. I just hope this is one of them in the long run.

You can see it in other efforts by Thai law enforcement. Did you catch the Shahtoosh episode of Animal Planet's Crime Scene? Busted but lost in the Thai judicial system. The heart is there, but getting the follow through is the issue.

AZ

I do believe the efforts of the PMBC are well intended, but I also believe the involvement of the TDA in this case was not a good move, and has made the issue very cloudy. The location of the site is for sure purely money driven.

You still hear dynamite fishing on Samui. At least that is what is sounded like in the evenings last July to me while staying out in Mae Nam (by Coca Palms). I doubt Thailand is as free from it as one may think. I run the Coral Aware program with my dive club so I understand the other hazards to some degree. I can appreciate diving wrecks, heck I even recently got my wreck speciality. My issue has to do with if these planes and helicopters pollute our oceans? They are being placed there on purpose not by accident. We have other methods of seeding reefs. Are there any long term implications? Do you think the Thai govt. removes all the environmental non friendly elements?

Does anyone else have the scoop on dynamite fishing? I could be wrong, just friendly discussion to become wiser :)

AZ

Hi Arizona,

The sounds you heard on Maenam beach during the evenings have most likely been fireworks, a thing Samui has plenty of each evening, all over the island! Even Koh Phangang, opposite Maenam beach may have been the culprit, sound travels rather well over water.

To the best of my knowledge, Sail Rock hasn't had any dynamite damage since a while and I doubt that you could've heard any dynamite explosions on Maenam Beach, even if it would happen at Sail Rock, it's just too far away, sound doesn't travel that good.........

Hope this clears this up!:D:coffee:

Limbo,

You would know better than me for sure, but it had a distinct sound of water being shot out afterwards. Generally aroudn 1 am. If it was not dynamte fishing that is a good thing.

AZ

Just a quick update:

Talked briefly with Khun Paitul today on the phone. He told me that one consideration for sinking the planes/choppers at the BangTao area is to create an interesting divesite close to Phuket for Liveaboards on their way to the Similans and also for those boats coming back from the Similan Islands.

He also told me that there are plans to make other artificial reefs close to Kata and Karon Beach.

I will try to get hold of him again tomorrow and talk a bit more with him. He's VERY busy at the moment and we had to cut our conversation short several times because of more important incoming calls.

Back
Top Bottom