New Apeks XTX50 whistling sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eldie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Finally got to test my new xtx50 under water with a couple of shallow dives. I noticed it makes a rattly whistling sound when I breathe above water. Is this a concern? Divemaster said that’s common for a new regulator when it is dry but pretty sure I noticed the same thing before the second dive when the reg was already wet. The reg performed flawlessly under water on both dives. I’m a new diver with a new set of gears so a lot to learn!

Was the lever pulled forward? Did you try to turn the knob in and out?

These 'harmonics' in 1sts or 2nds can happen because of different factors, so somebody with knowledge should have a look on it sooner or later.
If you don't hear the sound while diving, I wouldn't bother too much, that whistling outside the water is quite common but not dangerous.

I had the same problem and found a little grease on the face of the springs in the first stage stopped the whistling.

A mk25 piston 1st has done that to me before. Adding some more cristolube to piston fixed it.

I had the same problem and found a little grease on the face of the springs in the first stage stopped the whistling.

???????

Ummm NO! this will do absolutely nothing. What does the 1st stage have anything to do with the noise coming from the second stage due to it being dry??

Also I am assuming the OP's xtx50 is paired with a DST, US4, US1, UST, Tek3, XTX200... or some kind of Apeks variant either way they are all almost the same internally. One spring on the diaphragm side to set the tension to control the IP and one spring on the high pressure side to act as a return for the HP seat and neither of these two springs would cause any kind of noise. Also no where have a I seen that Apeks says to grease the face of these springs.

Anyways to answer your question as others have said nothing to be worried about. Its just because it is is dry.

Finally got to test my new xtx50 under water with a couple of shallow dives. I noticed it makes a rattly whistling sound when I breathe above water. Is this a concern? Divemaster said that’s common for a new regulator when it is dry but pretty sure I noticed the same thing before the second dive when the reg was already wet. The reg performed flawlessly under water on both dives. I’m a new diver with a new set of gears so a lot to learn!

What you are experiencing is called regulator fluttering and it is perfectly normal. It happens because the demand diaphragm vibrates creating some resonance with the case on inhalation. When submerged it stops because the vibration sound is damped by the water.

If it is 'burping' while exhaling, rinse well the non-return mushroom valve at the bottom to remove any dry salt or sediments.

I won't say it is normal let alone "perfectly" because non of my Apeks 1st or 2nd do that when dry.
Sometimes I have a same issue with the 1st stage after my own servicing(dry/wet). Extra wee bit of lube on the stem of the HP seat and the spring solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom