New - And ?? regarding Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEKanak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been luking here for about a year and have learned alot. Usually, I can find a thread somewhere that answers my question. But at this point, I need some advice

I'm a new diver (~20 dives, OW+Nitrox, deepest: ~90 feet). This June, my wife and I are spending a week on Grand Cayman. My wife doesn't dive, but is graciously permitting me 4 days of diving. So far so good. With 4 days, I thought I might go through the AOW course - just to build confidence and maybe learn something.

Here's the question. This board consistently recommends Red Sail Sports, DiveTech, and Ocean Frontiers. Red Sail Sport seems to have shifted to AL72s, which is less appealing. Divetech seems to operate exclusively on the west end, and Ocean Frontiers on the east. With so many interesting dive spots in the world (Belize or Bonaire next), this will likely be my only shot at Grand Cayman and I'd like to see the best the island has to offer.

So do I go east end with Divetech, west end with Ocean Frontiers, or split my time 1+3 or 2+2? All comments appreciated

The best diving will be with Ocean Frontiers. The East End is very quiet and away from it all. If you stay at Morritts or the Reef there is a nice beach,swimming pools etc.Ocean Frontiers condos look nice but nothing much to do for a non diver.

Have never done a boat dive with Divetech ,but the North Wall is a great area.Divetech has the advantage of excellent and very convenient shore diving. Much closer to Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach if that matters to you.

Both Ocean Frontiers and Divetech are excellent operations.

Red Sail? Never dived with them but seem to be a cattle boat type operation.Would not waste my money there.

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

My wife doesn't dive, but is graciously permitting me 4 days of diving. - This board consistently recommends Red Sail Sports, DiveTech, and Ocean Frontiers.] Haven't been to G.C. since the storm, but... Red Sail was a Grey Poupon type op. If you don't like, or know how to set up your own equipment they're for you. I'm sure O.F. is still a good East end op but it's an hour each way from SMB. The Don Foster "cattle boat" op was very good, considering, and the boss, Sergio Conconi, ran it well. The Sunset House has a good rep but I've never been on their boats, just shore diving there. You might consider doing shore diving there. You could park your bride at the outdoor restaurant/bar ("My Place"?) and she could enjoy the view and activities while you dive. The Dive Tech shore diving at the Cracked Conch / Turtle Farm area is also a super dive. Ditto for parking your wife. Just a thought. - Peter Milburn runs a great small boat op. He'll get you to the good spots and back in minimum time with no fuss. One more idea; would your wife enjoy going along for the ride and watching you dive?

Actually, when I took the cert course, my wife started as well. After reading what could go wrong, she decided it wasn't worth it for her. She does like to snorkel and often inquires about going along to snorkel.

BTW - we're staying at a condo along SMB.

If you are staying on SMB the the drive to Ocean Frontiers would get tedious if you did it everyday. You might like to do it once to see the other end of the island.

There is a lot of good shore diving on the West End. Turtle Farm and Sunset House are my favorites. Sunset especially is also a pretty good snorkelling site and has a great waterfront bar.
Also worth mentioning for snorkelling is Cobalt Coast (The other Divetech location) It is shallow for a long way out and LOTS to see. Has excellent lunches and a pool.Great place to hang out.
Might be worth looking at www.caymandivebuddy.com if you are at all interested in the shorediving but need somebody to go with

A very good question for the Caribbean forum. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom