(New Aluminum Tank 3000PSI) - Did I Get Ripped Off???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2003

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!

I whent to my LDS the other day and purchased an 80 Cubic Foot Aluminum tank that holds 3000 PSI. I paid exactly $149.00. Did I get ripped off???

Thanks for your help!

Steve,
Good question. I say no, you did okay.

1-You could have got it cheaper by mail-order, but you would have had to pay maybe $10 extra for a visual inspection from the LDS. Tanks are shipped empty. Performance diver (only catalog I have handy) sells tanks for 119 + 9 shipping + that inspection. Okay, you saved 10 bucks.

2-The average wholesale price for an AL80 is about 90-100 bucks. That means that maybe the LDS made a 33% margin. Not very high in the overall retail scheme.

3-Unless you have a huge sporting goods chain like here in SoCal (Sport Chalet) where tanks are blown out for 95 bucks on a regular basis, you paid an average price.

4-You just paid a measly $150 for a piece of gear that will last longer than you do if treated properly! Quit yer worrying and go dive! :^)

Neil

Seems about average. One store here sells used ones for $129.00 and another sells new tanks with 30 fills for $189.00.

JoelW

What's the make and model? Reason I ask is that there a 2 aluminum 80's, the Luxfer S80N and the Catalina C80, that are neutral when empty. Those generally cost $20 or so more than the standard AL80. But that price sounds about average. I think my LDS gets $125 for a Luxfer S080 (non-neutral) with the Thermo valve they come with or $145 with a Genesis valve.

Thank you all for your help I really apprecciate it!
And to answer a question, The tank is a Catalina 80. And the tank also came full!!! Thanks again!

Most dive store in Southern California display their cylinders with minimal air in them. That makes it safer and also more convenient to do one more visual inspection prior to filling it and slapping a current viz sticker on it. All for $109.95

I paid $140 for al80 tank, valve, & boot at one of the LDS's here. I have an older al 80 that I bought used for $95. I'd say you were in the ballpark, since I have to pay sales tax.

That is a good price I think. I paid $135 for my brushed aluminum tank with dive decal. That is the price for a tank at the LDS with my 10% club discount and comes with 10 fills.

So all in all I think you got a good deal! Did you get any fills with it?

My LDS sells Luxfer AL 80's for $119 dollars including Scuba Pro K valve, boot, vis sticker and first fill free. The rest will cost you. Sounds as if there're all selling for about the same doesn't it? Syruss, you came out ahead with your free refills. Any of you thought about steel?:tree:Bob

Hello,

Price seems average for my neck of the woods.

A 30% markup is standard in most industries, cept the dive industry then it's 100%-150% or as much as you can get.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom